Author Topic: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"  (Read 11662 times)

Re: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
We're drafting a PG this summer if he turns out to be the real deal there will be no max deal for IT.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Better be all in for winning now if you are going to give him the max. That means two other stars next to him. No Horford doesn't count at this stage of his career. I like that Hayward and Butler/George idea.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I, also, would like the max. I'm not sure why that is news. And being the second leading scorer in the NBA, we certainly can't blame him for trying.

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Better be all in for winning now if you are going to give him the max. That means two other stars next to him. No Horford doesn't count at this stage of his career. I like that Hayward and Butler/George idea.

How is that even possible (Hayward + George/Butler)?

There a way to get them all without major cap constraints?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we sign IT to a max, I just feel like that would impede the progress of players like Smart, Jaylen and Fultz/Ball/Jackson.

IT has the ball in his hand 75% of the game.

Max money to a munchkin( who knows yow long he can keep this up) taking playing time away from high lottery picks wouldn't be the way I choose to go if I'm Danny.

This is a) ridiculous hyperbole, and b) completely devoid of context.

Isaiah Thomas is a star PG.  Therefore, he touches the ball more than any player on the Celtics, because that's how NBA basketball works.  He possesses the ball an average of 6.8 minutes per game, which is closer to 15% than 75%.  This is 11th in the league in time possessed, which sounds like a lot, but the top 10 are also all PGs, as are numbers #12-17.  Then it's LeBron, followed by 9 more PGs.  IT is relatively middle-of-pack when it comes to holding the ball for PGs.

If you look at seconds per touch (does the ball stop in IT's hands?), he drops down to 21st.  The 20 ahead of him are all PGs.

Please take up a new line of criticism.

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Yes thanks to excellent cap management. C's aren't cheap either like some other franchises.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sign Hayward outright, then trade Crowder + AB + signed #1 pick. Without doing the actual math, I think that works fine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Also said

The Lakers (have) always been a team I wanted to go to, I mean desperately – before I was on the Celtics,” Thomas said in the A to Z interview. “My Dad, being a Laker fan (growing up in Tacoma, Wash.), I was brainwashed as a kid of being a Laker fan, so that’s all I looked up to. I definitely (wanted to go there), especially in the draft (when) they had four second-round picks. “And when I did work out for the Lakers, they were interested in me and they thought they would pick me – which, they didn’t. And also, when I was a free agent, they were showing interest but that was the year they were waiting on, like, Carmelo (Anthony) and those types of guys to decide if they would come to LA, so I wasn’t like the first option. And then they ended up getting Jeremy Lin, so…” 29 mins ago – via USA Today Sports

Hmmm...

Wow I'm from NYC, never been to LA or Beantown but from the way that city attracts players regardless of their success makes me wonder what's so bad about Boston. People keep saying it's the weather but that can't just be it.

I live in LA and...it's usually Hollywood, beaches, theme parks, warm weather, celebrity and fames, food, etc.

I've been to Boston...if you're not a diva, I think you would love Boston. I love Boston already the moment I stepped foot onto their lands. Cheap gas, cold-weather city, inexpensive tax...? But it's a close travel to the surrounding cities too. Wish I can fly back there again sometime soon!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
IT is not worth max money.
Too big a defensive liability.

Not even sure why this is a discussion... if IT is not a max player then I don't know who is. If because he's a defensive liability is the reason then Steph Curry, James Harden, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki (all of whom are destined for the HOF) aren't max players neither.

These players have the physical tools to be at least average defenders when the wins matter the most.

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Sign Hayward outright, then trade Crowder + AB + signed #1 pick. Without doing the actual math, I think that works fine.

Well that's risky.

Also not a fan of trading Crowder.

And that also lowers our "years of contention" a bit.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If Fultz is as good as I think....scoring buckets

IT ....won't get a max from Celtics ......

To get a max ....IT needs to lead the Celtics min. Out of first round .

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Well that's risky.

Also not a fan of trading Crowder.

And that also lowers our "years of contention" a bit.

I don't think it negatively affects any "years of contention", since there's absolutely no reason to think that we'll be contenders without adding star players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 03:28:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He absolutely deserves the max.

This is a lottery team without him.

I think that second sentence is the goal of a lot of fans. Why have stars when you can have a 25% shot at a complete unknown who, if everything breaks exactly correctly, might some day become as good as Thomas?
It's all about the picks!!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Unless Ainge makes a big move in the offseason, paying IT MAX would be a big mistake when we're two stars away.  Tying up 60M of cap space in Thomas and Horford would make us a perennial pretender. 

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
If Fultz is as good as I think....scoring buckets

IT ....won't get a max from Celtics ......

To get a max ....IT needs to lead the Celtics min. Out of first round .
Id like to extend Isaiah with the max that we can extend him this summer (assuming he performs well in the playoffs)

If Isaiah is resistant to an extension and you end up drafting Fultz, Im not worried about it because you have a year to determine how much you like Fultz and another year to see if Isaiah caught lightning in a bottle this year, or if he this is for real.

In fact that may be the best plan either way.