Poll

If we get a bought out player, who are we waiving?

Green
7 (10.3%)
Jackson
11 (16.2%)
Mickey
38 (55.9%)
Young
10 (14.7%)
Zeller
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: If we get a bought out player, who are we waiving?  (Read 5350 times)

Re: If we get a bought out player, who are we waiving?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Can the Celtics use Zeller's salary as part of a sign and trade agreement over the summer? Or, is that sort of thing not in play anymore?

I think they can, but with the new CBA it's only possible AFTER guaranteeing the 8M for next year in Zeller's contract. If I'm wrong, please somebody correct me.

You are wrong and right at the same time.

Contracts signed under the current CBA, like Zeller's, will be treated the exact same way when the new CBA takes effect.  However, a contract like Zeller's signed once the new CBA begins will be treated differently.  So in that way you are wrong.

The way you are technically correct is that Zeller's contract guarantees for next season if he's not released by July 3rd, so by the time the Celtics would be able to make a trade (July 7th is the earliest they could do so), his contract would already be guaranteed.

His contract is still useful for trading on draft night, however. If it did not have the second year, it would no longer be tradable.

Excellent point. Tommy ídem.

Re: If we get a bought out player, who are we waiving?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Jordan Mickey.

Jackson has a small guarantee on his contract next season, and owing that $650k instead of being able to trade it away this summer could determine whether we have max free agent room, so it can't be Jackson.

Young has shown himself to be useful in a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situation.

Gerald is in the same position as Young.  He has his moments.

Mickey can't get off the bench still in his second year, and his contract his completely unguaranteed for next season, so he's easy to release without any future ramifications.  He's not going to be on the team next year regardless.

Based on this explanation I change my vote to Mickey. I originally voted Jackson.

I originally voted Green, not because I think he should but because he is the most logical if they bring in Terrence Jones.

But given this description, I will change to Mickey.