Author Topic: Jae + AB are limited on both sides of the ball.(trade them,develop JB and smart)  (Read 2348 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Crowder on offense is with a straight line drive to basket or jackin up the 3.dont get me wrong he is shooting great from 3, but when you only can do 2 things offensively, it makes it very predictable in clutch time.
On defense he is only good at guarding 3's and small 4's, doesn't have the lateral speed to stick with quick pgs or top tier sg's like Derozen last night.

AB has really improved his dribble,and rebounding,  but his passing ability and court vision is still below avg IMO.

On defense he can guard pgs and smaller SG.

Now when I look at Smart and Jaylen, to me they can guard 1-4, even more so when Jaylen bulks up in the coming years.

I would look to move AB, Jae and a brk pick for a major upgrade at PF/C next year, maybe at the draft.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Fans would be terrible gm's.  They take players down a peg or two then say, trade them.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Fans would be terrible gm's.  They take players down a peg or two then say, trade them.

If you can get a major upgrade at a position of need, why wouldn't you. AB is going to be up for a near max soon, and has a shakey injury history, and physical style of play.

I like both Jae and AB , but we have their replacements. I'm not saying give them away

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don't know about this line of thinking. I mean, isnt Jae only a minor downgrade from Butler? In other words, he's only slightly below all star level?
- LilRip

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I personally think if AB wasn't injured him and crowder would be gone and butler or George would be here.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't know about this line of thinking. I mean, isnt Jae only a minor downgrade from Butler? In other words, he's only slightly below all star level?

Butler is way better than Crowder.   Like miles better.

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Yes when individually compared... but basketball is a team sport. Butler is a ball hog that can't shoot. Crowder can comfortably play off the ball and hit 40% from 3pt range. If you swap Butler for Crowder you best believe the lanes for IT to drive will get a lot narrower.

So I agree, Butler is more talented than Crowder, but Crowder is a better fit for this team

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yes when individually compared... but basketball is a team sport. Butler is a ball hog that can't shoot. Crowder can comfortably play off the ball and hit 40% from 3pt range. If you swap Butler for Crowder you best believe the lanes for IT to drive will get a lot narrower.

So I agree, Butler is more talented than Crowder, but Crowder is a better fit for this team

Why would the lane get more crowded? You don't actually think defenders are sagging off of Butler, do you?

Watch some Bulls games, defenders stick to him like glue. Butler isn't a great three-point shooter, but he good enough. And when you consider how lethal he is at driving to the rim, as a defender, you just simply cannot leave him open.

If Boston simply swapped out Crowder for Butler they'd instantly be a much better team. But obviously the cost is much more than that, which is why the deal didn't happen.

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Agree with the OP. We are only stoked on these two players because of their bargain basement contracts and that their current production far exceeds what the team pays them CURRENTLY. However, I do agree that both Crowder, and more so Bradley have hit a ceiling on their development, which puts them in a statistical level where they will eat a huge chunk of the cap.

I would pick Crowder eight days a week over Bradley, if I had to keep one. Not even the injury thing with Bradley, but Crowder has a skill-set of being able to cover the oppositions best 3/4 scorer.

I just think guys like Smart and JB are continuing to improve, and we will also likely have 2017 #1 and 2018 #1 picks that will be under highly coveted, cost-controlled contracts. This is why I think once the cap raises again, (assuming the Nets still suck next season) that the 2018 1st will be even more valuable than 2017 currently is. The more players turn over in to these new max contracts, the more teams will be cap-strapped, and every developing organization will COVET the high draft pick.

It's not a knock on Bradley/Crowder as players....but from the business standpoint, and managing a salary cap, it will be tough to justify keeping them for their actual production to cap-hit ratio.

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Crowder's gotta start making those 3's at the END of the game---not just the 1st quarter.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
What coach doesn't want an Avery Bradley , great work ethic, all in team player .

He gets nearly straight A s as a basketball player with few weak points .

Straights A student

I still have to trade him though .

Worst attendence record.

If you aren't on the court , your not helping my team.

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Trade someone for a better player... Or do not trade at all

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Why would the lane get more crowded? You don't actually think defenders are sagging off of Butler, do you?

Watch some Bulls games, defenders stick to him like glue. Butler isn't a great three-point shooter, but he good enough. And when you consider how lethal he is at driving to the rim, as a defender, you just simply cannot leave him open.

If Boston simply swapped out Crowder for Butler they'd instantly be a much better team. But obviously the cost is much more than that, which is why the deal didn't happen.

Exactly. Butler is a scorer and he can get buckets from anywhere on the floor. People aren't sagging off him the way they did Rondo. Heck, people aren't even sagging off Smart and he's had one of the worst 3p% seasons ever.

It boggles my mind how people continually justify that Butler wouldn't make this team better. Once teams start focusing on IT, this team's offense stalls. I'm 100% sure that'll happen on more than one occasion in the playoffs.

What I'm curious is.... if Crowder made $15Mn, would you trade him, Demetrius Jackson and Mickey for Jimmy Butler?
- LilRip

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If Smart or Brown prove to be starter calibre by next season then you consider trading Bradley to manage the cap situation. Crowder can just move to the bench of Brown surpasses him. He'd be one hell of a 6th man.

I don't understand the logic here, why trade 2 rotation calibre players? Why not keep them as depth?

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Crowder leads the team in plus and minus, and he is locked up cheap for years.
It would be stupid to trade him.