Author Topic: Dribbling  (Read 6574 times)

Dribbling
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Um guys are there any dribbling drills that are actually efficient as well as effective? I've searched some on YouTube and most of them require a ton of time with minimal improvement (at least for the ones I watched). Are there any suggestions from guys who play or coach basketball? Thanks a lot
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Dribbling
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's been a while, but I found dribbling two balls at the same time (alternating and in unison) to be effective. Of course while you are doing this you should run, change speeds, even go side to side a bit and also change how high off the ground you are dribbling.

It isn't necessarily going to give you killer 'handles', but you will become much more adept at keeping control over the ball at all times when multiple defenders are around you since it is a practice of constantly having to pay attention to your dribble.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Practice dribbling with head up or eyes closed. Also practice dribbling while running/sprinting as well as doing crossover and other moves while maintaining a certain level of speed without losing your dribble. The simulation of game intensity dribbling is the only way to truly get better at it imho

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
There are nice Steve Nash videos on youtube.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Aren't these very basic? Like for beginners type of basic. I'm not good by any stretch of imagination but I'm generally good at some basic moves or getting to ball from point a to b
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I really recommend the dribbling 2 balls thing. Also make sure you get the basic skill down of not looking at the ball. Alot of people kind of ignore that, but its integral.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Aren't thise very basic? Like for beginners type of basic. I'm not good by any stretchof imagination but I'm generally good at some basic moves or getting to ball from point a to b

Can you do the first drill? 0:42 to 1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9TU1IWo6Y

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Aren't thise very basic? Like for beginners type of basic. I'm not good by any stretchof imagination but I'm generally good at some basic moves or getting to ball from point a to b

Can you do the first drill? 0:42 to 1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9TU1IWo6Y
The one with the fingers? I can do it pretty well
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
For two balls...I'm not very good at it but I can manage to do the move steph curry popularized (doing a crossover and a between the legs simultaneously) without looking down (it's pretty slow but it's still reasonably fluid).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Stationary ball-handling is overrated.  Work on game moves.  Get to the basket from the 3 point line in 1-2 dribbles and work on finish moves.  Spin ball out to yourself, reverse pivot, and rip-drives.  These may not look fancy, but they actually show up in games.  Also, work on pull-backs while keeping dribble alive (needed against traps and ball screen hedging).  Most of the fancy stuff is fluff you'll never use.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I know Kyrie used to practice with a plastic bag over the ball

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 02:39:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Stationary ball-handling is overrated.  Work on game moves.  Get to the basket from the 3 point line in 1-2 dribbles and work on finish moves.  Spin ball out to yourself, reverse pivot, and rip-drives.  These may not look fancy, but they actually show up in games.  Also, work on pull-backs while keeping dribble alive (needed against traps and ball screen hedging).  Most of the fancy stuff is fluff you'll never use.
Thanks this sounds constructive. I worked on these this morning and I felt more comfortable (a bit) when I'm on the open floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290

I'm curious. How does that help? I'm always looking for new ideas and drills for my kids.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

I'm curious. How does that help? I'm always looking for new ideas and drills for my kids.
From what I have heard it makes the ball harder to control;I guess it builds good dribbling habits that doesn't require you to use the grip of the ball to guide the dribble. The idea is if you get good at dribbling like that you will be even better the normal way. 

Kyrie talks about it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKvE_5hkSk

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Now I've never tried this, but I heard Jason Williams used to practice by wearing heavy duty work gloves.  Now there's a guy whose handle I wouldn't mind having

I just did a quick google search on it, and it's definitely a thing, they even sell "speciality basketball gloves" but reading a few reviews it seems some might just be overpriced work gloves that are branded for basketball.  So if you have a pair of work gloves lying around you should give it a try, with the idea being that if you can dribble and pass wearing those, it's going to feel like a piece of cake once you take them off.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class