Author Topic: So incredibly tired of small ball.  (Read 2465 times)

So incredibly tired of small ball.
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Tonight against Toronto.  Almost all of the small ball was with Horford.  11 minutes total.

Celtics     Toronto     
Off. Reb.       1             3           
Def. Reb.      4             10
Total Reb.     5             13         
Points          22            35         

With 2 bigs on the floor.  37 minutes. 

Celtics     Toronto     
Off. Reb.        6             7           
Def. Reb.      25            21
Total Reb.     31            28       
Points           75            72         

Awful defense and terrible rebounding without 2 bigs on the floor.  The C's have enough problems on defense and the boards and Brad continues to exacerbate them by going small.

With 2 bigs on the floor the C's were solid on the boards and played excellent defense.  Only 16 minutes of K.O. and 19 for Amir?   

In a little while I will look at the numbers for the year so far.

Re: So incredibly tired of small ball.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
What are these "bigs" you speak of?  A new position in basketball, I assume?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
Bigs are centers and power forwards, Horford, K.O., Amir and Jerebko.  How in the world have you not heard that term?

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:03:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Bigs are centers and power forwards, Horford, K.O., Amir and Jerebko.  How in the world have you not heard that term?

Thanks!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:41:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart is not a small forward.
Brad has morphed into Doc Rivers.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:21 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Tonight against Toronto.  Almost all of the small ball was with Horford.  11 minutes total.

Celtics     Toronto     

Celtics     Toronto     

Awful defense and terrible rebounding without 2 bigs on the floor.  The C's have enough problems on defense and the boards and Brad continues to exacerbate them by going small.

With 2 bigs on the floor the C's were solid on the boards and played excellent defense.  Only 16 minutes of K.O. and 19 for Amir?   

I also dislike small ball.

And I dislike how NBA teams are trendy, following the successful pattern of a particular team or teams without taking into consideration certain important details of those teams—for example, the trend toward small ball because the Heat and the Warriors won with some relatively small lineups. Too bad we don't have either of the reasons those small lineups worked—LeBron and Curry.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:07:21 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Cousins wins this game on the block alone.

Thanks Danny

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Cousins wins this game on the block alone.

Thanks Danny

Aren't you getting tired of posting the same crap every thread?

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Let's wait and see who we might get via buyout.  I think you underestimate that Brad will not play Amir one minute longer than necessary in order to save him for the playoffs. 

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Let's wait and see who we might get via buyout. 

I am not too optimistic about any buyout guys. I mean they will have their choice of GS, CLE, SA, HOU etc. If you are one of them who would you choose? A team like CLE or GS that should be in the NBA finals or a team that is sitting pat and looking to the future?

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I am not too optimistic about any buyout guys. I mean they will have their choice of GS, CLE, SA, HOU etc. If you are one of them who would you choose? A team like CLE or GS that should be in the NBA finals or a team that is sitting pat and looking to the future?

This is inherently wrong in regards to the waiver wire. Teams place a claim on the player, and based on worst record teams get priority.

If a player is allowed to make it through waivers then yes the player gets to choose. If Danny wants a waived player he will place a claim. The presence of the aforementioned teams has no bearing on us getting a waived player.
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

This is inherently wrong in regards to the waiver wire. Teams place a claim on the player, and based on worst record teams get priority.

If a player is allowed to make it through waivers then yes the player gets to choose. If Danny wants a waived player he will place a claim. The presence of the aforementioned teams has no bearing on us getting a waived player.

Of course we know that but it has to be getting real close to the 48 hours on the 3 key guys. That being said, Danny hasn't claimed one yet as far as we know or any other teams for that matter. Wouldn't we hear if teams have claimed any of them? Is it cheaper salary-wise to wait until they become free agents free and clear? If that is the case then they will have they will be able to choose.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Celtics     Toronto     

Celtics     Toronto     

I also dislike small ball.

And I dislike how NBA teams are trendy, following the successful pattern of a particular team or teams without taking into consideration certain important details of those teams—for example, the trend toward small ball because the Heat and the Warriors won with some relatively small lineups. Too bad we don't have either of the reasons those small lineups worked—LeBron and Curry.

I'm with you.  Variety and the element of surprise is becoming lost in NBA offenses.  NBA offenses are all about having iso/pnr players get into the lane and finish or kick out to shooters.  No post ups.  No midrange.  Big men (Horford, Lopez, Gasol) are being forced to turn into spot up 3 point shooters.  Bad shooting wings are being forced to turn into spot up 3 point shooters.  I get that spot up 3 point shooting is very efficient, but it's quite boring to watch 30 times per game.

My cousin loves Jabari Parker and he thinks he's the perfect PF for this era of the NBA.  He might be right -- is there going to be any PF in the league that he can't guard the way PFs are trending?  I'd almost be more concerned with him eventually not being quick enough rather than not being big/strong enough?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
It is cool to watch the ongoing chess game of strategizing defenses against offenses though.  You could see in the playoffs last season... teams like Boston and Houston are playing the "layup or 3" offense and you'd see teams like Atlanta respond by scheming their defense to chase shooters off the arc, then send help not to the driving player, but right to the rim because they know thats where the player's final destination is.  While the midrange shot used to be considered the most inefficient in basketball, it might become a wide open shot soon to counter that kind of defense.  Or perhaps this future "unicorn PF who has a post game" will become a desirable asset.  Maybe post-up guards will become a thing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
We play small because our best players are small.  Brown is working his way into more minutes but aside from Brown we're small at the wing.  Stevens plays a ball handler, wings/swing, Biggs.

Our worst lineup
Ball handler = IT 5'9
Wing =  Bradley 6'2
Swing = Smart 6'4
Swing = Crowder 6'6
Big = Horford 6'10
Those are our best players but they're too short.

The biggest we can play is this
Ball handler = Smart 6'4
Wing =Brown 6'7
Swing = Jerebko 6'10
Big = KO 7'
Big =Horford 6'10
This puts Jerbeko at SF and keeps or two best players on the bench, so it's not ideal.  Also, we are actually playing 3 biggs and Stevens only wants to play 2 biggs. 

At 6'6 Crowder shouldn't be at the 4, but he's a better player than KO and Jerebko so he needs to play, right?

What we need is for Crowder and IT to go to the bench and replace them with bigger players, who are actully better.  That's not possible this year, but it might be next year.  Come playoffs next year we could be much bigger.
Ball handler = Ball/Fultz 6'6/6'5
Wing = Brown 6'7
Swing = Hayward 6'8
Big = Horford 6'10
Big = Zizic 7'
This lets us run pretty much this year's starts as the bench next year. If we draft Ayton or Bamba in 2018 that's a skilled 7 footer so we could be even bigger.