Author Topic: Danny is playing long game chess with Red  (Read 2044 times)

Danny is playing long game chess with Red
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I used the phrase Celtics Mystique in my last post, googled it, and found a nice article on the subject.

Auerbach's Celtics played as a team
By Lisette Hilton
Special to ESPN.com

Auerbach's areas of expertise were spotting talent and getting the most of his players. He said that his kind of player had the ability to absorb coaching. He wanted a kid "who was great yet never stopped being nice."

Red did it all. Ainge and Stevens are more like a two-headed monster. Doc Rivers had to have all the power.

Red Auerbach's coaching philosophy was simple: Only one statistic mattered. At the end of the game, he wanted the number next to his team to be greater than that next to his opponent. The individual players weren't the ones who made the difference. It was the team as a whole. Just being a member of a winning team was part of the Auerbach mystique.

Starting tonight, we have eight more nationally televised games. Think about that.

Nearly one in every three games left will be Rondo T.V. games.

We have arrived. Drink the Kool-Aid. It's good.

Re: Danny is playing long game chess with Red
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
celticspride---nice post and find--stick around the board needs vets

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:50:32 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The continuing emergence of Jaylen Brown has significantly altered Danny's position re the trade market.  He's wise not to jump at a trade which would strip him of valued roster assets, and he certainly would never jeopardize the entire rebuild by giving up the farm for the league's greatest malcotent.  Even with a trade for a superior player like George or Butler, our Celts would still fall short of championship caliber in the current NBA environment. 

Danny's been building San Antonio East since the Nets trade.  We have a team with a great young coach, a positive work culture and a demonstrated system for player development.  This is the middle game, well ahead of the endgame, but Ainge is constructing a juggernaut, one piece at a time.  Why not sit back and enjoy the beauty of the process, a real process with some demonstrated success, not a ten season trek to a supposed Shangri-La? 

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:23:32 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Brilliant, CelticPride. I wish I could give yo around 100 TPs.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge knew Red and he probably learned a lot from him.   But he doesn't even remotely begin to touch Red's eye for talent prior to the mid eighties.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
For what it's worth I love reading posts of yours, and Rollie's. Always insightful.

I'm still relatively new to basketball, I only started seriously following the NBA and the Cs from 2009-10. I'm still learning all the history and nuances of the Celtics. It's what makes a team special.

What Danny is doing has my complete support. I think he is trying to build the right way. At the same time though, I think he realises that what Red did is a lot harder in the modern era. You don't get the same kind of characters anymore. Sometimes you have to take on the imperfect star and pander to their faults. But only if you can still be ok if it goes wrong. No giving up the farm.

I'll be interested in the next few weeks though. Presumably some of the young guys on this team will be gone in the summer (Mickey, Young), will he bring in a veteran to try and help this team in the short term of will he bank on their development. Not sure what Red would have done

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP CP. One of the best posts I've read on CB.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I also believe in the long game. 

I look at the current roster then I consider Yabusele, Nader, and Zizic to go along with our picks while adding the war chest to compete for a FA and I think we just need to see this plan through.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Why not sit back and enjoy the beauty of the process, a real process with some demonstrated success, not a ten season trek to a supposed Shangri-La?

It's probably a couple more years until wins become more automatic, then you kick back for ten years Belichick or Red styled.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:25:51 PM by CelticPride2016 »

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:01:54 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Ainge knew Red and he probably learned a lot from him.   But he doesn't even remotely begin to touch Red's eye for talent prior to the mid eighties.

I think it's the same problem with comparing players from older eras to today. There seems to be a great debate about Bill Russell, but I bet he could translate into a modern MVP. He'd have to work on his free throws. The league keeps dramatically changing in trends. Now I am confused.

Red also had many less teams to compete with, tons less. Red was absolutely one of the all-time greats. He made us the NY Yankees of hoops. At one point after #16 I think we had won 40% of all titles.

Maybe as there are currency rates, it should be the same with comparing Danny to Red. He definitely has to go on a ten year run, win five plus times. I don't want to get greedy, but you can see he is looking to hit home runs. Stevens is showing the potential that coaches can impact teams more than it's ever been done before. So right there, Danny is nowhere near Red. I concede and you win. But I see Danny rubbing his greedy hands like Olynyk often does, yet honorably for the team. These guys seem to be on an unbreakable trajectory. It'll hurt if we get pick #4, but it's not like Pierce or KG were that good. Danny has one title under his belt. We all know it depends on guys like Smart, Brown and new guys coming in next year and that takes time. I like what I'm seeing out of Amir. I hope Jerebko doesn't destroy his nose without the mask, but he was turning into Butch Hobson. Old timers will remember that pain. Zeller is too goofy. Mickey is in James Young mode. I could go on all day. Pardon my indulgence.

Okay, Danny is attempting to duplicate an epic Auerbachian run, but there are no guarantees. I respect this. You aim low, you reach low. You aim high, you might reach high. Maybe Smart puts it together in the off season. He'll probably do nothing but take jump shots eight hours a day. He said this a few months back that it's difficult to work on things like shooting during seasons. He might become a force down in the post. He's better than Horford. I am praying for Horford.

Smart doesn't seem a lost cause like Rondo despite his numbers looking very scary in ways. Thankfully he hit all those free throws. Rozier is another one who does everything right then chokes at the rim. He is a great shooter. Stevens is keeping his options open. He's not afraid to go to the end of the bench. But he might not to if we stay healthy.

Beating Cleveland would be nice. We are due a strong game.

I'm not sure why Wyc has to say we are two players away. I think it's one. It could've been Noel, but Danny didn't want to pull the trigger. Rumor says we are in the running for Bogut and that news could come out tonight. He probably didn't want Sanders just in case he is stoned during games. Some people can shoot lights out only after a toke or two. Danny's a Mormon and Brad is as straight milquetoast as possible. Twas not to be. We are that one player away.

The worst Danny can do is end up as good job, good effort. He'd have a wishy-washy legacy. He will have to win it all at some point and then start piling up some titles. He's getting closer. Thanks Brooklyn.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
For what it's worth I love reading posts of yours, and Rollie's. Always insightful.

I'm still relatively new to basketball, I only started seriously following the NBA and the Cs from 2009-10. I'm still learning all the history and nuances of the Celtics. It's what makes a team special.

What Danny is doing has my complete support. I think he is trying to build the right way. At the same time though, I think he realises that what Red did is a lot harder in the modern era. You don't get the same kind of characters anymore. Sometimes you have to take on the imperfect star and pander to their faults. But only if you can still be ok if it goes wrong. No giving up the farm.

I'll be interested in the next few weeks though. Presumably some of the young guys on this team will be gone in the summer (Mickey, Young), will he bring in a veteran to try and help this team in the short term of will he bank on their development. Not sure what Red would have done

I started in 77 or 78 a few years before Bird. They were awful, but I was a very young kid who thought it was great. Then as I aged, it was just incredible. Auerbach made the sickest GM moves of all time. Danny did that too. Maybe I am counting chickens before they hatch.

So I have basically the Bird era and us winning 40% of all titles. Then Bias and Lewis died. Maybe it's called the drought. Then the Walker/Pierce and then Pierce era. That's pretty much it.

There were some interesting years within the drought, similar to Big Baby running over the kid in Orlando or us taking the Lakers to seven games with Rasheed.

Somehow they were interesting. Pierce, Antoine and Jimmy O'Brien made it to the ECF. Pitino hurt. He was the typical college coach who fails in the pros. Talk about wandering into the wilderness. He stripped Red of his president title as if he had dementia. I never understood that. And we didn't need cheerleaders. Hot women are everywhere. I remember the air conditioning gave out. Kareem an old man at that point was sweating buckets. One had to tip their cap to Magic Johnson.

In 1986 we were the best clear cut. People talk of KG 2008, but Bill Walton still had a lot of juice in the tank. It was a miracle. Parish, McHale and Walton for centers. Bird was the midget.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
I also believe in the long game. 

I look at the current roster then I consider Yabusele, Nader, and Zizic to go along with our picks while adding the war chest to compete for a FA and I think we just need to see this plan through.

Yabusele is a mystery because he's apparently playing in a girly man's league. Zizic seems to be the real deal so far and we do have a specific position vacancy.

This is not to undercut one and overrate the other. We won't know for sure until they play in real games.

Nader could make the team. I guess this means a lot of guys are not coming back.

Maybe James Young has shown enough to return. He will have no contract leverage. I have attacked that guy non-stop, but now would be the wrong time to let him go.

Then why keep him at all?

I think if we get Bogut or a different waste pile player, Young will stay. I guess Jordan Mickey or Jackson is gone. Just speaking for the present.

The off season looks equal in intrigue to this actual season. This is a good spot even if we are not yet an upper echelon contender, more of a puncher's chance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:36:59 PM by CelticPride2016 »

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
There's unprecedented verbal diarrhea in this thread.  It makes David Foster Wallace seem laconic.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 03:32:14 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There's unprecedented verbal diarrhea in this thread.  It makes David Foster Wallace seem laconic.
Thoughts on a page, it's how it should be. There's too much whining and moaning on these boards. Too much self involvement and 2k style trading. It's a baseless existence. It's nice to find some realism and thought here sometimes

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Thoughts on a page, it's how it should be. There's too much whining and moaning on these boards. Too much self involvement and 2k style trading. It's a baseless existence. It's nice to find some realism and thought here sometimes

Thanks. I know I'm wordy. So I try to stay in my own corner.

This guy did the same thing to me before. I reported it and the mods did nothing.

Someone said the majority think Toronto is going to kick us around in the playoffs, as if, duh.

The guy put words in my mouth. I call it a toss-up right now. Washington seems more dangerous than them.

If we are going to lose to Atlanta or any other scrub team, it will be because we're injured.

We have no wiggle room that way.

Injuries are somewhat a blessing because they give us the opportunity to watch Rozier and Brown more closely. Most of the roster is good to very good in raw talent, but if any of the core is banged up, it's bye-bye wiggle room for true contending in light of one season. Jerebko has turned into a question mark. Hopefully he gets back to his game.

There's still the chance we get Sanders, although it seems highly unlikely, pun intended.

I am extremely happy with Amir, Horford and Olynyk at times. We are missing Zizic. If those three are in good health for the playoffs, we have good odds. This is the nitty-gritty time. The 2nd or 3rd seed would very much help us at least get into the second round. If we get bounced around in round 1, that would hurt. But I am staying optimistic. Hopefully Avery will be okay and then Rozier will get benched with Brown as the fourth guard.

If any of our rotation players get injured, we will be up against the wall. But the converse is true, too. If we are healthy with stamina at the right time, we will fulfill the ceiling of being the team no one wants to face.

Then we'll go into the draft and next year with a lot more trajectory momentum.