Author Topic: Looking At Next Season, Where Is Our Size Coming From (Just Zizic/Yabusele??)  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Even if we add, say, a Hayward. This will be a BIG problem (no pun intended).

Our rebounding will get a lot worse, and it's bad as it is.

Ainge is going to really have to work some magic this summer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am hope for Blake, but if it is someone like Hayward, I think a trade for a vet big (along with the low end vet big men FA pool) is a must.   Can not go into the season with two rookies as the 2nd and 3rd big men on a contending hopeful. 

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Pretend we sign Hayward in FA.

That likely means we can't re-sign anyone who is expiring unless they agree to sign with one of the exceptions (unlikely). So bye bye KO/Amir/Zeller/Jerebko. That's a good chunk of our size.

We still have Horford, and Mickey, but I wouldn't count on Zizic/Yabusele to start and be great the first few seasons at least. Probably come off the bench at the beginning (Zizic as well). So that leads me to wonder, how will Ainge address this?

The 2018 Draft is AFTER next season but we can get a BIG there hopefully (barring a trade).

Signing Griffin would help but I feel he stays with LAC (Even Hayward is unlikely to leave, but we'll see).

It's pretty obvious a guard is getting traded for a big (Bradley or Smart), especially if we draft Fultz with our pick.

Also I want zero part of Blake Griffin. Multiple knee surgeries is a recipe for a horrible contract. He is not as explosive as he used to be.

Sign Hayward, Draft Fultz, and trade Bradley for a guy like Noel. Ideal offseason scenario.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:03:23 PM by Smokeeye123 »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't think we're gonna get Hayward, and I don't believe it would be a smart move either.  The last thing this team needs is another wing (albeit a very talented one).  Odds are the player we will be drafting is a wing.  Plus we have Crowder and Jaylen, plus Marcus plays a lot of SG.  Signing a big ticket wing just seems like a poor allocation of resources.

So if we don't sign any big time free agents, and we don't use our cap room for any big trades, we should have some room to work with.  I like the idea of signing KO to a front loaded deal (we're gonna need all the cap room we can muster once all these BRooklyn picks need to be resigned). And then spending some of the additional money on a 1 year deal for Zach Randolph.  Dude is old and can't play big minutes, but he is just what the doctor ordered for this team.  And Memphis is gonna have to make a lot of big decisions this off-season, so he may not be a part of their plans.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't know whether this qualifies as an elephant in the room, but this year Al Horford has rebounded at a worse rate than any of our bigs. Worse than Amir Johnson, worse than Tyler Zeller, and yes kids, worse than Kelly Olynyk. He's been just a tad better than Avery Bradley and Terry Rozier.

As far as I can tell, he's our starting PF next year, and I don't even know whether solid rebounding from the C spot will fully address the problem, unless Ante Zizic ends up being both NBA-ready and a beast down low. That isn't a great gamble IMO.

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I could see Danny offer a contract to someone like Alex Len, who appears to have fallen out of favor in Phoenix.  Maybe an Evan Turner type of short-term "prove yourself" deal.

Hey, he would add some legit size next to Horford at the very least.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think we will be fine with Zizic and low cost FA.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Yabusele is 6'8"  ???
yes, but his arms are really long. he stacks up well in standing reach and wing span with some pretty good power forwards in the nba now.

yabusele
standing reach = 8'9"
wingspan = 7'1"

blake griffin
standing reach = 8'9"
wingspan = 6'11"

kevin love
standing reach = 8'10"
wingspan = 6'11"

Jabari Parker
standing reach = 8'8"
wingspan = 7'0"

p.s. just for info and fun:

zizic
standing reach = 9'3"
wingspan = 7'2.5"
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It will be interesting to see if the C's  go for Griffin or not. As others have said, he's lost a significant amount of his explosiveness, but that part of his game was mostly for show. He never actually built his offensive game on explosiveness, and has played quite well after coming back from his injuries this year. He'd make us quite a bit better.

Other than Griffin, and possibly Ibaka, there isn't anyone on the free agent market that's any better than what we already have. We either make a major trade, uncover some hidden gem somewhere, or make do with Yabusele and Zizic. I could see them both being important rotation players. Both guys are very strong, aggressive and long armed, which we desperately need.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Josh Jackson really sound fundamentally particularly at blocking out for rebounds. Better than any of our current players in that skill set. I noticed this in all his games this year.