Author Topic: 2018 pick for another 2017 pick  (Read 5495 times)

2018 pick for another 2017 pick
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Hey Guys.
What is your thought on us trading the 2018 pick to say Philly for their 2017 pick once the order is esatblished. Say Philly gets pick 4 and we get pick 2. We then get two rooks that can have an extra year of playing together.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: 2018 pick for another 2017 pick
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Hey Guys.
What is your thought on us trading the 2018 pick to say Philly for their 2017 pick once the order is esatblished. Say Philly gets pick 4 and we get pick 2. We then get two rooks that can have an extra year of playing together.

No, we already have 2 first rounders from last year to fit in as well as Brooklyn's pick this year. That's too many for a contending team.   Plus the 2018 pick is more valuable since the Nets will be terrible again and it could be the first pick. 

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hey Guys.

Skip

2018 draft is also considered a good one... Lots of top centers/pfs prospects

I mean unless fultz drops for whatever reason

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hey Guys.

Skip

Would you do it if Jackson was on the board?

Say the top 3 are Fultz/Ball/Isaac, would you trade the 2018 pick to get Jackson?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hey Guys.

Skip

Say the top 3 are Fultz/Ball/Isaac, would you trade the 2018 pick to get Jackson?

False premise.  Jackson is top 3.  I think Danny will rank him number 1 target. 

More realistic trade idea: We land the top pick.  Lakers land 2 or 3.  I can almost guarantee you that Magic will want Ball, because, as Bill Walton said in the UCLA game last night, the kid is the closest thing to Magic Johnson he has ever seen.  Could see Danny agreeing to a swap with LA in which we also get Randle, who could be a good guy off the bench for us. Then Danny gets Jackson plus another good player.

If the same scenario but another team at 2-3 not the Lakers, that other team could very well target Fultz, and would agree to swap places with Ainge and maybe offer a future 1st round pick unprotected. Or another desirable asset.

If the draft order stays the way it is today, with Jackson slotted at 3, I am not sweating it unless we land at 4, in which case Danny should either try and trade up to grab Jackson, or take someone like Tatum or Isaac.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
2018 seems to have better big men. I wouldn't do this trade, we also will have Zizic, Yabusele and Nader as probable rookies, apart from Minnesota's second round (let's say number 35-38).

We don't need that.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Nope, if there was a way of doing the reverse, i.e. trading the 2017 pick for a guaranteed top 4 pick next year I'd do that. Unfortunately that isn't possible

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The main issue with this idea is that we don't give ourselves a chance to sign a significant free agent this summer. Along with already mentioned 2 stashed rooks. If Žižić and top 4 pick play for us next year, that is more than enough kindergarden work for Brad.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hey Guys.

Skip

More realistic trade idea: We land the top pick.  Lakers land 2 or 3.  I can almost guarantee you that Magic will want Ball, because, as Bill Walton said in the UCLA game last night, the kid is the closest thing to Magic Johnson he has ever seen.  Could see Danny agreeing to a swap with LA in which we also get Randle, who could be a good guy off the bench for us. Then Danny gets Jackson plus another good player.

If the same scenario but another team at 2-3 not the Lakers, that other team could very well target Fultz, and would agree to swap places with Ainge and maybe offer a future 1st round pick unprotected. Or another desirable asset.

If the draft order stays the way it is today, with Jackson slotted at 3, I am not sweating it unless we land at 4, in which case Danny should either try and trade up to grab Jackson, or take someone like Tatum or Isaac.

That's not a false premise.  It's entirely possible that the team picking #3 will prefer someone else and Jackson will be there at #4 (Top rated prospects sometimes slip, like Dunn last year, or Winslow in 2015, or Embiid in 2014, or Noel in 213).  I'm not suggesting trading the 2018 pick for the #4 pick right after the lottery, I'm asking if, should Jackson be available at #4 (which is entirely possible), people would be willing to trade the 2018 pick for him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Why for Philly? Why would any team trade out of 17 top lotto? I know Philly will have multiple picks in the top (possibly) but this year's talent has positional need-fillers, next season is stacked with players in positions they are already trying to show the door. They can get a top rated PG and SG this season.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No way not with Ayton and 4 other bigs ranked in the top 7. C's will need a few of them top battle Simmons/Embid/Saric/Okafor long term. 76ers really need a top 4 pick this year for their "Process'. C's will need a top 4 pick next year bad for their 'Development".

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
The more I hear about the big men prospects for this draft, the more I think it'd just be better off to just keep building through the draft while we succeed in FA. We need big men bad. If they can develop next to Al, we'll be in business.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team will not need another rookie to develop next year. They might have as many as 4 but most definitely at least three. Just let the 2018 pick alone. We may need it in a trade for a superstar.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Hey Guys.

Skip

I'm in total agreement with your prospect rankings and priorities.  I agree that a trade down could be in order, ala Joe Barry Carrol (#1 pick) for McHale (#3) and Parrish, when McHale was Red's target all along.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Hey Guys.

Skip

I'm in total agreement with your prospect rankings and priorities.  I agree that a trade down could be in order, ala Joe Barry Carrol (#1 pick) for McHale (#3) and Parrish, when McHale was Red's target all along.
We have that option we also could trade up if we fall to 4. Yabu can not come next year. We would just have 2 rooks with 4 open slots.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek