Author Topic: What's been your toughest loss as a sports fan?  (Read 4021 times)

Re: What's been your toughest loss as a sports fan?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
two for me.

1)2012 Game 7
2)2010 game 7

Yep.  Exact same two.

I actually flew over from Australia to watch the entire series. Wife's family is from NY/Boston so I made sure we visited our US family when playoffs was on  8)

Managed to get front 5 row seats for every game in Boston AND Miami so my wife and I flew up and down to follow the team for the whole series. Actually sat next to Dan Marino and Flo Rida in Miami when Ray hit the monster 3 to tie up the game. Was literally the only Celtics fan in a sea of white Heat fans.
To say I was devastated is an understatement.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Giants ruining Pats perfect season.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Aaron Boone 2003 walkoff
Giants ruin undefeated season
Honestly game 6 vs the Heat in '12, when we had them down 3-2 and Lebron just ripped our throats out was rough.
Game 7 2010 was probably worse tho.

If you hadnt guessed Im not old enough to really have been a fan in the '80s, 90s etc.

underratedly brutal ones:
2006 AFCCG vs. the Colts. That team not good (by Patriots standards), but they had a 21 point lead in the AFCCG and the NFC sucked that year. It should have been an easy superbowl win sans the 2nd half collapse v. Peyton Manning.

2011 divisional round loss to NY Jets.

Couldn't agree more. Game 7 was rough, but not as depressing as game 6. We had the lead in the series, and we were at home, and instead of punching our ticket to the finals, we got stomped by Lebron. At that point I knew our chances were over. Game 7 just confirmed it

Obviously 2010 game 7 was more depressing because we should have gotten 18 there, but 2012 was a close second. It was truly the end of an era
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Leeds United getting relegated out of the English Premier League in 2004. That game against Bolton was a metaphor of how the club just crashed and burned.

See also

https://youtube.com/watch?v=neb1TgFQwRc
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Big Two: Game 7 in 2010 and the Pats' first Superbowl against the Giants. The Celtics should've won that game. As for the Pats' loss, it was inconceivable to me, at the time, that they could lose that year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not knowing what was going to happen a year later at the time;  Game 7 2003 ALCS.  The Boone HR.    Absolutely awful.  To be that close to a World Series and to choke it away against the Yankees, of all teams, that was bad. 

Game 7 '10 Finals.  Still can't watch any replays or even highlights (low-lights) from that game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thursday October 5th, 1967 my 6th grade teacher walked up to me at recess and said the principal had given permission for me to go to the game.

I met my folks and went to Fenway to watch AL Cy Young winner Jim Lonborg pitch against the Cards Dick Hughes in the second game of the World Series..

Lonborg pitched a one hit complete game and Yaz (triple crown winner) hit two homers to win 5-1 and even the series at one a piece. The first game the greatest pitcher of all time (IMO) Bob Gibson beat the Sox 2-1. Each time Yaz and Lonborg came to bat we gave them a standing ovation.

My greatest loss was the 7th game of the series. Lonborg only had two days rest and matched with Gibson as the Cards won 7-2.

It had been a hell of a run to October. The city of Boston was electric as Lonborg and Yaz willed them to the pennant. Listen to this, the Sox and Twins were in a flat footed tie for first with two games left in the season and? They would be playing the Twins at Fenway for both.

Carl Yaztremski (who was tied for the AL home run crown with the Twin's Harmon Killibrew) went 7 for 8 in the two games...are you kidding me? In the final game of the season Jimmy Lonborg at 21-7 pitched against Twins 20 game winner Dean Chance for all the money, all of it. After the Sox won 5-3, we all waited to hear if the Tigers won the second of a doubleheader against the Angels. They lost and the Cards were on their way to Boston.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Game 7, 2010.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As a fan, none. It's a game.

As a coach, being knocked out of the national tourney semi-finals years ago, down one, when an elderly out-of-position official called an offensive foul on my leading scorer as he was hip-checked out of bounds on a baseline drive that would have won the game.

The call was so atrocious that one of the other officials told him at the scorer's table, "That was the worst call I've ever seen."

I chased the old man off the floor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

As a coach, being knocked out of the national tourney semi-finals years ago, down one, when an elderly out-of-position official called an offensive foul on my leading scorer as he was hip-checked out of bounds on a baseline drive that would have won the game.

The call was so atrocious that one of the other officials told him at the scorer's table, "That was the worst call I've ever seen."

You would've won if Jaylen Brown had been on your team.

Toughest loss - Magic's hookshot

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You would've won if Jaylen Brown had been on your team.

If he didn't dribble the ball off his foot ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
'86 WS.

'Nuff said.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
two for me.

1)2012 Game 7
2)2010 game 7

Yep.  Exact same two.
2012 game 7 wasnt that bad for me because it just seemed inevitable. We had to go back to Miami after getting absolutely stomped by Lebron in game 6.

I remember watching those stupid talk shows after Paul Pierce's dagger 3 in game 5 proclaiming that King James was done in by Boston once more and that these Celtics would close the door in 6 etc etc and I was so happy and excited. I thought game 6 would be like the '10 finals and then Lebron just absolutely ripped our throats out.

After that game I didnt think we had a prayer in game 7.

Lebrons game 5 performance against us in '11 and his game 6 performance in '12 are the two games that changed my opinion of Lebron as a clutch player.

I had tried to convince myself "LEBRONS A CHOKER" for so long, but after those two games I told myself Id never again peddle that fiction. He is cold blooded.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Patriots loss of a perfect season. Great, great team. One game I thought Patriots got outcoached (and Giants got lucky).

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
1) '86 WS ... Bill Buckner
2) Miami vs. SF Super Bowl (I'm a Dolphins fan)
3) Bucky-Bleeping-Dent '78 one game playoff