Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8522 times)

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Give it a rest, CelticPride.  If you polled the entire blog, I think BitterJim would be considered one of the better posters around. 

In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings? Pretty short-sighted, don't you think?  Beyond that, they dropped in the standings when DeRozan was injured and just made nice upgrades.

I get the sense you enjoy waving verbal pom-poms on the site (i.e., blind, over-the-top support), which is fine -- to each their own.  But there's no sense in directly attacking someone, especially without a reason.  But hey, if you aren't concerned about sticking around as you said, more power to ya.

Try re-reading what both posters have written, and in a more careful manner.  You are either misinterpreting, or willfully misrepresenting, what CP2016 actually posted.

Nope, it is accurate.

Quote from: BitterJim on February 24, 2017, 04:21:55 PM
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

"Quote from: CelticPride2016 on February 24, 2017, 03:09:50 PM

BitterJim:
"Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series."

CelticPride2016:
"This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts." "

CP simply noted that Celts are several games ahead of Toronto in the standings, which would seem to invalidate BJ's original claim that Celts could not win a series against the Raptors.  Do you really believe that it is clear that the Celtics are incapable of defeating the Raptors in the playoffs?  BitterJim's words indicate clearly that he believed Celts chance of doing this is ZERO.  I think that's a bit deluded, and certainly extreme, to the point of being ridiculous. 

In contrast, here is what you posted, "In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings?"

Nope, it is accurate.  That's not what CP simply noted.  That we're ahead of TOR in the standings does not prove we could've lost to them in a playoff series prior to their deadline trades.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 03:26:21 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Give it a rest, CelticPride.  If you polled the entire blog, I think BitterJim would be considered one of the better posters around. 

In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings? Pretty short-sighted, don't you think?  Beyond that, they dropped in the standings when DeRozan was injured and just made nice upgrades.

I get the sense you enjoy waving verbal pom-poms on the site (i.e., blind, over-the-top support), which is fine -- to each their own.  But there's no sense in directly attacking someone, especially without a reason.  But hey, if you aren't concerned about sticking around as you said, more power to ya.

Try re-reading what both posters have written, and in a more careful manner.  You are either misinterpreting, or willfully misrepresenting, what CP2016 actually posted.

Nope, it is accurate.

Quote from: BitterJim on February 24, 2017, 04:21:55 PM
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

"Quote from: CelticPride2016 on February 24, 2017, 03:09:50 PM

BitterJim:
"Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series."

CelticPride2016:
"This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts." "

CP simply noted that Celts are several games ahead of Toronto in the standings, which would seem to invalidate BJ's original claim that Celts could not win a series against the Raptors.  Do you really believe that it is clear that the Celtics are incapable of defeating the Raptors in the playoffs?  BitterJim's words indicate clearly that he believed Celts chance of doing this is ZERO.  I think that's a bit deluded, and certainly extreme, to the point of being ridiculous. 

In contrast, here is what you posted, "In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings?"

Nope, it is accurate.  That's not what CP simply noted.  That we're ahead of TOR in the standings does not prove we could've lost to them in a playoff series prior to their deadline trades.

What?  NEITHER BJ nor CP made, nor implied, the bolded assertion.  You clearly have no idea what you're actually posting here, nor what either poster was arguing.  Sheeesh.   

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Too many people infatuated with the 4th of July...

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pessimism should be allowed here just as Optimism should be allowed here as dissenting views.   

I think guys who think things are always going poorly are debbie downers and I think people people who always think the best are riding unicorns but they are entitled to those views.  Just expect to be challenged on them by others.

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The games post-all star break kind of show why there was so much pessimism.  1-2 losing to Toronto and Atlanta, two teams that Boston could play in the first or second round, with the Cavs up tomorrow.  And the losses were a direct result of Thomas being shut down and no one else on the team doing anything offensively.  This could be a playoff preview, which would be another early exit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The games post-all star break kind of show why there was so much pessimism.  1-2 losing to Toronto and Atlanta, two teams that Boston could play in the first or second round, with the Cavs up tomorrow.  And the losses were a direct result of Thomas being shut down and no one else on the team doing anything offensively.  This could be a playoff preview, which would be another early exit.
But we knew this was a flawed team to begin with no? At the beginning of the season, I would say that the main goal was to improve on last season, develop the young players, and try to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs and anything after that was gravy.

I definitely understand the frustration people have with not making any moves (or at least any minor moves) to improve the team. I think it is safe to say we "like" this team the players on it and would like to see them do well. But we all know this is basically a regular season team that will likely bounce out in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

But it was never really about this season. In the words of Felder & Mazz, this feels like a bridge year. C's are getting there but just not happening this year.

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
But we knew this was a flawed team to begin with no? At the beginning of the season, I would say that the main goal was to improve on last season, develop the young players, and try to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs and anything after that was gravy.

I definitely understand the frustration people have with not making any moves (or at least any minor moves) to improve the team. I think it is safe to say we "like" this team the players on it and would like to see them do well. But we all know this is basically a regular season team that will likely bounce out in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

But it was never really about this season. In the words of Felder & Mazz, this feels like a bridge year. C's are getting there but just not happening this year.
Sure we knew it was a flawed team, but there were plenty of players available that were almost given away that would have helped plug holes on the team and with the Cavs being within striking range (and Love out) there was no time like the present to make moves and at least assure the ECF.  Imagine if Boston actually got the 1 seed.  That would mean the Hawks or Wizards in the 2nd round and avoiding the Cavs and Raptors until the ECF.  That would have been doable and you never know what might happen in the playoffs (what if Love isn't back and the Raptors actually beat the Cavs in the Semis or something like that). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I don't think it's the pessimism that we should worry about...

it's the people urging us not to "overreact" after blowout losses(aka "please don't point out how we pathetically lost this game, my heart can't take it"), then we beat some ****ty team and we're suppose to think we're looking at some world beaters or something and ECF here we come and 55 wins here we come and we're going to upset the Cavs, yadda yadda yadda. These people set themselves up for disappointment.

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

it's the people urging us not to "overreact" after blowout losses(aka "please don't point out how we pathetically lost this game, my heart can't take it"), then we beat some ****ty team and we're suppose to think we're looking at some world beaters or something and ECF here we come and 55 wins here we come and we're going to upset the Cavs, yadda yadda yadda. These people set themselves up for disappointment.

Yep.  It's not ok to shrug off failure. Nor is it ok to beat your chest because we killed a team.  Seldom do the loudest majority on here look at the whole picture.  When some of us point out flaws were crucified because it messes up their fantasy world that theyve created.  I want the Celtics to be successful, but some things need to be severely addressed. 

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Ditto

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

TP. Great post.

I'd add the people who obsess over obscure players and single possessions that invariably signal greatness for their beloved.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."