Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8459 times)

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 05:21:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ibaka is better than Sullinger.

He would be better than Sully on one leg.

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series.

This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts.

There we go!

You can have the opinion that we could have beaten Toronto in a series before them getting Ibaka (and after, too). I disagree, as do many others. But to say that us being ahead of them in the standings is proof that we would handily beat them is just not true.  The fact that they were without Derozan for a stretch (where they did poorly) is why they fell below us.  Would we have caught them anyway? Maybe. But to say that them being below us in the standings should mean that we shouldn't even discuss whether they're better is ludicrous.

And it's odd that you decided a quote from me was the best example of how pessimistic everyone on this forum is.  If you asked everyone here, I think 99% of people would tell you quite the opposite.  I guess it may just be a case of "Everyone more negative than me is a raging pessimist, and everyone more positive than me is a delusional kool-aid drinker"

Except that he did not make the bolded assertion, with or without surrounding context.  Hope you did not expend much time or energy constructing such a simple and obvious straw man.

Well, the one part I kept:

Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series.

This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts.

directly says that we shouldn't even have a discussion whether we would lose to Toronto in a series because we are ahead of them in the standings.  I mean, you could interpret it some other way but personally I don't see any other way of interpreting it (unless you consider "[w]e are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion [about whether we would beat Toronto in a 7 game series before the Ibaka trade] before it starts" to mean that it would be a tight series, but I don't see why you would want to discourage discussion about what you would expect to be a tight series)

But, hey, that's just me
I'm bitter.

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Pessimism.  .?

you an't seen nothing .....if Celtics get blown out tonight in Toronto

This blog wil explode  :D

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2017, 12:12:48 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

There we go!

You can have the opinion that we could have beaten Toronto in a series before them getting Ibaka (and after, too). I disagree, as do many others. But to say that us being ahead of them in the standings is proof that we would handily beat them is just not true.  The fact that they were without Derozan for a stretch (where they did poorly) is why they fell below us.  Would we have caught them anyway? Maybe. But to say that them being below us in the standings should mean that we shouldn't even discuss whether they're better is ludicrous.

And it's odd that you decided a quote from me was the best example of how pessimistic everyone on this forum is.  If you asked everyone here, I think 99% of people would tell you quite the opposite.  I guess it may just be a case of "Everyone more negative than me is a raging pessimist, and everyone more positive than me is a delusional kool-aid drinker"

Except that he did not make the bolded assertion, with or without surrounding context.  Hope you did not expend much time or energy constructing such a simple and obvious straw man.

Well, the one part I kept:

directly says that we shouldn't even have a discussion whether we would lose to Toronto in a series because we are ahead of them in the standings.  I mean, you could interpret it some other way but personally I don't see any other way of interpreting it (unless you consider "[w]e are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion [about whether we would beat Toronto in a 7 game series before the Ibaka trade] before it starts" to mean that it would be a tight series, but I don't see why you would want to discourage discussion about what you would expect to be a tight series)

But, hey, that's just me

Wow, that's a mouthful - you must be exhausted! 

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Was Cousins traded?

3 11 vs Clev Wash Tor GST SA Rockets if u want to inlude the Clips 4 11

That says it all

Thanks Danny

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Toronto 41 rbs
Boston 39 rbs

Most importantly, what went wrong with Washington?
No embid, no Noel and Okafor score 11 pts with 2 rebounds.
Beal score 40, Wall 29 and they lost easily in the second half.

Seeing the score sheet, Philly got almost all their players in double digits.

I can't imagine the rant if we were Washington's fans.

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Toronto 41 rbs
Boston 39 rbs

Exactly - there is zero reason to freak over last night's loss save for the issue that they continue to underperform against good teams, and especially Toronto, in the 4th quarter.  I mean how many more times are they going to give up a lead against that team?

NBA teams lose games, especially on the road, in the regular season.  Let's hope they have better answers in the playoffs.

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Toronto 41 rbs
Boston 39 rbs

Exactly - there is zero reason to freak over last night's loss save for the issue that they continue to underperform against good teams, and especially Toronto, in the 4th quarter.  I mean how many more times are they going to give up a lead against that team?

NBA teams lose games, especially on the road, in the regular season.  Let's hope they have better answers in the playoffs.

Celts are 2-7 against CLE, TOR & WAS. So we may have a chance and I say MAY to win a first round series against a CHI or maybe DET. After that we are done. Let's face it - we are building for future and not now. If we can add a Bogut or Jones that may change a little for the better but I would even fear MIA if we had to face them in the first round.

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2017, 11:24:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

There we go!

Thanks for watching my back.

Bitter Jim apparently outright lies.

And the liar says nothing about all the injuries we have had. It's all about poor powerful Toronto who lost one of their two divas.

I also liked Evantime and Monkhouse comments.

Then Bitter Jim showed up again. Instead of apologizing for misreading my post, he doubled down. Yes, he must be exhausted thinking all those things he did, like how we have no chance against Toronto in a seven games series, which was all I was responding to originally.

Okay, talk your trash against the C's if they face Cleveland, Golden State or San Antonio, but don't claim you speak for a majority of Celtics fans who believe we will have no chance against the Raptors.

There's a little bit of a jinx going on. Toronto is our big brother. They have been a top ECF team while we won 25 and 40 games. Sometimes the younger brother matures and starts beating the older brother.

If you think the Celtics are so mediocre, maybe just stop watching the games and posting on this forum?

Ban me, Celtics Blog? You probably will. Some guy trolled me a few weeks ago. I reported it and you did nothing. The jerk had to be called out by non-moderators.

Now there is this other person twisting my words after he was the one claiming most are in agreement that we have no chance against Toronto in the playoffs, and that was before they got the historically great, Hall of Famer Serge Ibaka. OH, NO! TORONTO GOT IBAKA. One might as well quit following the team and try a jigsaw puzzle?

Maybe we will get pounded by Toronto in the playoffs. But it won't be because some know-it-all with reading comprehension difficulties declared at the end of February that we suck compared to Toronto.
you dont need to think the Celtics are good to watch the games and post of the forum.

diversity of opinions is good.

Obviously you are going to have trollish level, stubborn, logic-averse posters on both ends of the spectrum, but Id rather have that than just a huge homer echo-chamber.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:41:15 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Give it a rest, CelticPride.  If you polled the entire blog, I think BitterJim would be considered one of the better posters around. 

In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings?  Pretty short-sighted, don't you think?  Beyond that, they dropped in the standings when DeRozan was injured and just made nice upgrades.

I get the sense you enjoy waving verbal pom-poms on the site (i.e., blind, over-the-top support), which is fine -- to each their own.  But there's no sense in directly attacking someone, especially without a reason.  But hey, if you aren't concerned about sticking around as you said, more power to ya.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't know how anyone can watch Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart and not be optimistic, plus two more top 4 picks will join them over the next 15 months! Also Zizic looks like a find. Also cap room this year.

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't know how anyone can watch Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart and not be optimistic, plus two more top 4 picks will join them over the next 15 months! Also Zizic looks like a find. Also cap room this year.
Brown Smart Fultz/Ball/JAckson/Tatum is a core of prospects a 25 win team would be excited about let alone our 50 win outfit.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Give it a rest, CelticPride.  If you polled the entire blog, I think BitterJim would be considered one of the better posters around. 

In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings? Pretty short-sighted, don't you think?  Beyond that, they dropped in the standings when DeRozan was injured and just made nice upgrades.

I get the sense you enjoy waving verbal pom-poms on the site (i.e., blind, over-the-top support), which is fine -- to each their own.  But there's no sense in directly attacking someone, especially without a reason.  But hey, if you aren't concerned about sticking around as you said, more power to ya.

Try re-reading what both posters have written, and in a more careful manner.  You are either misinterpreting, or willfully misrepresenting, what CP2016 actually posted.

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 12:49:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings? Pretty short-sighted, don't you think?  Beyond that, they dropped in the standings when DeRozan was injured and just made nice upgrades.

Try re-reading what both posters have written, and in a more careful manner.  You are either misinterpreting, or willfully misrepresenting, what CP2016 actually posted.

Nope, it is accurate. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 01:09:25 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Nope, it is accurate.

Quote from: BitterJim on February 24, 2017, 04:21:55 PM

"Quote from: CelticPride2016 on February 24, 2017, 03:09:50 PM

BitterJim:
"Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series."

CelticPride2016:
"This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts." "

CP simply noted that Celts are several games ahead of Toronto in the standings, which would seem to invalidate BJ's original claim that Celts could not win a series against the Raptors.  Do you really believe that it is clear that the Celtics are incapable of defeating the Raptors in the playoffs?  BitterJim's words indicate clearly that he believed Celts chance of doing this is ZERO.  I think that's a bit deluded, and certainly extreme, to the point of being ridiculous. 

In contrast, here is what you posted, "In this case, he's also right -- if I'm understanding correctly, your comment implied that it's futile to discuss a TOR-BOS playoff series because BOS is ahead of them in the standings?"