Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8519 times)

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Completely agree. The Celtics took a step backwards yesterday.

How does doing nothing equate to taking a step backward?

I am now resigned to the wasting, as Roy put it, of an MVP-caliber season by Thomas and one of the dwindling good years Horford has left, and I acknowledge now that signing Al probably was a mistake. I liked the move in the summer because I thought it represented a commitment to win that doesn't seem to exist.

Acquiring Jimmy Butler wouldn't have changed that. It would just mean getting bounced in the ECF in 6 games or 5 in the Finals - especially if the deal had to contain Jae Crowder (as has been reported).

And no, I don't consider being relevant success for a franchise with this tradition. I'm going to leave chasing participation ribbons to the franchises that have never done anything meaningful.

We'll just have to see what all this inaction by Ainge means for the future.

It means that there's still powder in the guns, junior.

Patience is a virtue. Throwing all your chips on the table while you know 2 other players are holding 4 aces isn't exactly the smart play.

Your new position of avoiding vitriol didn't last long, did it?

The current team needed rebounding. Ainge didn't deliver. Our Eastern Conference opponents improved. Got that?

Significant step backwards.

I know it doesn't fit your narrative to actually acknowledge facts, especially while you're blustering about loving a good "discussion" and bemoaning all the vitriol, but if you have a shred of interest in being honest, you'll note that I was NOT calling for a Butler or George deal.

I was calling for Ainge to strengthen the current club, Sparky. He failed. Miserably. Quit entirely on the season. Totally unacceptable from where I sit.

The real thesis of this thread is "God, I can't stand it when everyone doesn't agree with 'In Danny I trust.'" LOL.

Standing pat while someone else takes a step forward is not taking a step backwards. Is it losing ground to an opponent? Yes. Is it taking a step backwards? No - it's standing in the exact same spot you were in to begin with.
while people behind you move ahead of you, so yeah technically Boston didn't get worse, but it likely hurt its chances and thus did get worse.

What teams that were behind us took a step in front of us? Toronto was ahead of us before the Ibaka trade, and Washington and Atlanta didn't pass us
Toronto is 4 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Washington is 2 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Atlanta is 4.5 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  While Boston did not get worse, it also did not get better either.

Avery Bradley has not played since Jan 6th.  A significant sample size.  Still managed to snag the 2 seed at a 15-6 clip (by my count).  When he comes back, the Celtics will almost certainly "get better".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I am now resigned to the wasting, as Roy put it, of an MVP-caliber season by Thomas and one of the dwindling good years Horford has left, and I acknowledge now that signing Al probably was a mistake. I liked the move in the summer because I thought it represented a commitment to win that doesn't seem to exist.

Acquiring Jimmy Butler wouldn't have changed that. It would just mean getting bounced in the ECF in 6 games or 5 in the Finals - especially if the deal had to contain Jae Crowder (as has been reported).

And no, I don't consider being relevant success for a franchise with this tradition. I'm going to leave chasing participation ribbons to the franchises that have never done anything meaningful.

Patience is a virtue. Throwing all your chips on the table while you know 2 other players are holding 4 aces isn't exactly the smart play.

The current team needed rebounding. Ainge didn't deliver. Our Eastern Conference opponents improved. Got that?

I know it doesn't fit your narrative to actually acknowledge facts, especially while you're blustering about loving a good "discussion" and bemoaning all the vitriol, but if you have a shred of interest in being honest, you'll note that I was NOT calling for a Butler or George deal.

I was calling for Ainge to strengthen the current club, Sparky. He failed. Miserably. Quit entirely on the season. Totally unacceptable from where I sit.

The real thesis of this thread is "God, I can't stand it when everyone doesn't agree with 'In Danny I trust.'" LOL.

Standing pat while someone else takes a step forward is not taking a step backwards. Is it losing ground to an opponent? Yes. Is it taking a step backwards? No - it's standing in the exact same spot you were in to begin with.
while people behind you move ahead of you, so yeah technically Boston didn't get worse, but it likely hurt its chances and thus did get worse.

What teams that were behind us took a step in front of us? Toronto was ahead of us before the Ibaka trade, and Washington and Atlanta didn't pass us
Toronto is 4 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Washington is 2 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Atlanta is 4.5 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  While Boston did not get worse, it also did not get better either.

Avery Bradley has not played since Jan 6th.  A significant sample size.  Still managed to snag the 2 seed at a 15-6 clip (by my count).  When he comes back, the Celtics will almost certainly "get better".
All teams have injuries though, but yeah Bradley returning will likely make Boston better (it may not as he may struggle and Smart and Brown may struggle with lesser roles).  But Bradley has been on the team.  Boston easily could have added some players that improved the bench without giving up much of anything.  As is, Boston has way too many draft picks and won't be able to keep them all anyway.  Getting someone that could come in and help this year for a pick or player that isn't going to be in the long term plans anyway, would have been a good thing to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series.  Them adding Ibaka didn't change that, just like adding Korver didn't put the Cavs past us (it just put them further ahead of us).

Washington didn't suddenly pass us with the addition of Bogdanovic.  He'll help their weak bench, but he'll also get abused on defense.  Washington is a tough team, but I don't feel any less confident against them in a 7 game series than I did before the trade.  Their bench is still weak.

Atlanta is not better than us.  I'm sure Ilyasova will make them marginally better but the idea that adding him as a backup suddenly vaults them above us is just ridiculous.  He's an okay player, but he's not gonna make any real difference for them, never mind enough of a difference to put them ahead of us.

A team behind us improving doesn't mean they pass us, especially when the additions are pretty minor changes to their bench.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Oddly the pessimism seems to get louder and more constant as the team gets closer to contention. People who were here during the Big 3 era remember how bad it got at times. When we're bad most of the negativity seems to revolve around the team not doing enough to lose more often  :)

Second-guessing and disappointment and all that make sense and are part of a vibrant discussion, but I've never understood how some fans seem to want to wrap themselves in constant negativity. It's supposed to be entertainment, folks.
I don't actually think the team is closer to contention, in fact with the small moves that Toronto, Washington, and Atlanta made, I'd say Boston is farther from contention today than they were yesterday. 

Closer overall, as in we're closer to contention than last year, which was closer than the year before. The better the team is, the more vitriolic the pessimism gets.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Right after the deadline...

Part of it is because of what Wyc said a few years ago.

Part of it is because of the KG/Allen success.

Part of it is because of Golden State - they legitimately could dominate the league for a while.

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series.

This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts. Most people do not expect the worst. They just aren't as loud as those who spew pessimism.

I respect the Raptors. I suppose Washington should also be respected. They were having a miserable season but have clawed their way up the standings, similar to us last year.

First year with Isaiah he fell hard on his lower back. He was not the same player. We were just getting our feet wet.

Last year we had another barrage of injuries and players banged up at the wrong time. We still gutted out a couple wins, our first Brad playoff wins, another form of applying water to feet.

I respect both the Celtics and Raptors and would have to call that series a toss up.

I think we are closer to Cleveland than it seems. The Cavs are just a much more successful version of the Clippers attempting to use up all assets and buy titles. Both of those teams are falling apart whether gradually or with an eventual collapse, and it will only get worse, the way we did once Perk got traded and the team's stock just started dropping fast.

There is something mysterious going on. The miserable fans must have never heard of Celtics Mystique. Stevens could be the second or third best coach we've ever had behind Red and Tommy. He is the main reason I have watched every game, although not every minute. I'm not that obsessed.

But it is fun to follow these guys and watch them change.

I became a true believer midway through last season. Evan Turner made me shut up. I never thought he was much better than a scrub. And he is just one guy we have seen improve under Stevens. So many are doing that, that it becomes hard to separate the two, players and coach.

It used to be more like professional wrestling. Overrated coaches such as Jackson and Rivers would compete as figureheads penciling in diva lineups and creating moods. "They are so good at managing egos." We hear that all the time. I give Doc a bit of credit for Avery Bradley, but after how much better Avery got since he should have been a finished product so to speak, I have to say it is Avery willing himself to greatness and that it was Brad who opened that door for him.

I also think Stevens is very underrated for handling egos. He does it just fine. And Danny makes it so Brad is less likely to have jerks to deal with. Jaylen Brown is one of the smartest, more thoughtful players to emerge. Rondo was like that too, very smart. But I think Jaylen is a more complete human being. He's simply more raw. He only looks like a crapshoot because he is missing a year or three of college ball to not have to leave his youth so abruptly.

Crowder. He is our best asset. I've said that before. He is getting better and better. His contract is perfect to slot into a championship contending lineup. He is not afraid to shoot and he does it well. He is sort of an all-around good player for his position as Horford is for a big.

We have a lot of capable players of varying skills and dispositions, and Danny and Brad are showing an amazing ability to put it together and improve from within.

Stevens was winning us games with a chopped liver roster. 25 wins is nothing to sneeze at when you look at Brooklyn or some of the recent Philly teams.

I think our first year Stevens' roster was no better than Brooklyn's this year. 25 wins isn't great, but that was sort of a fun year anyway.

Now Stevens is being provided with top raw talent in Smart, Brown and future picks.

Danny can draft a phenom guard if he has to. That player would need minutes. Rozier might slide down into the James Young deep bench role. Maybe Bradley gets traded.

That's the kind of surprise move I sense might happen. I don't know when, but Danny might trade Avery. The redundancy is definitely forming between Marcus and him. Smart is the better choice to pair with Isaiah for height reasons.

I tell myself to not speculate too much. There's just no way to know what will happen.

No way will Danny let Olynyk walk. That's what I take from the last couple months. Kelly has emerged with Smart during our recent winning ways. They play well together. They are the glue. Our whole team is glued. It is a glued team which equals one superstar. That's how we currently have the fifth best NBA record. There are only twenty five games left. The schedule looks somewhat easy. Tonight would be a good win for seeding, but it would also be good in that it is one of our last tough games.

Some complain that we can't beat good teams. Those wins against Utah, Memphis, the Clippers, the Rockets and I think we finally beat Toronto - those are why we are sitting pretty. The Celtics are one of the best teams to play against the bottom half of the league.

Then there is talk of regular season versus playoffs. Sure. That's why we have fingernails. You bite them and experience games in real time.

This season has developed a nice character. One good thing about Danny doing nothing is it tells the current group of lads that he believes in them. Wyc said it exactly. Maybe he drank Kool-Aid provided by my posts.

It's called Celtics Mystique.

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Toronto is behind us in the standings, but I think most would agree (even pre-Ibaka deal) that we didn't have what it took to beat Toronto in a 7 game series.

Love it. Everything you said. TP for a great post.

Our defense leads me to worry a little bit, especially in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:05:19 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I agree with a lot of posters and users, and would go through all of them, but I'm simply too tired and getting my spiritual uplifting on right now.  :angel:

I think people lack patience. Deadline deals just aren't feasible, especially when our greatest or top 3 asset is the Brooklyn Pick, and the value only gets more higher once the draft ends depending on where it lands. I would rather have Ainge take his time, weigh his options, and figure out what is the best path to success, whether its immediate or long-term.

Just no point in making a deal, just because fans want to see some 'fire works.'

Then there would endless posts about Ainge overpaying, or being ripped off in a deal.

If Ainge feels confident that the summer there will be more opportunities, then I'm down for it.

Also for those not realizing, if we can get Hayward at a max contract, it only costs cap space. We didn't give away any assets, and we can play from a position of power if other GM's try to gain leverage over us. Ainge isn't desperate. He has only admitted to desperately overpaying, and even including one of the Brooklyn picks for Winslow.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

It's called Celtics Mystique.

Yes, and people get a little too drunk on it sometimes. Just as those who have a more cynical outlook sometimes get overly pessimistic.

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts.

There we go!

You can have the opinion that we could have beaten Toronto in a series before them getting Ibaka (and after, too). I disagree, as do many others. But to say that us being ahead of them in the standings is proof that we would handily beat them is just not true.  The fact that they were without Derozan for a stretch (where they did poorly) is why they fell below us.  Would we have caught them anyway? Maybe. But to say that them being below us in the standings should mean that we shouldn't even discuss whether they're better is ludicrous.

And it's odd that you decided a quote from me was the best example of how pessimistic everyone on this forum is.  If you asked everyone here, I think 99% of people would tell you quite the opposite.  I guess it may just be a case of "Everyone more negative than me is a raging pessimist, and everyone more positive than me is a delusional kool-aid drinker"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Toronto lost a guy that you claimed would really help them in sully.

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Let me just strip your quote of any context before replying, as you did with mine...

This is false. We are currently ahead of Toronto which should end the discussion before it starts.

There we go!

You can have the opinion that we could have beaten Toronto in a series before them getting Ibaka (and after, too). I disagree, as do many others. But to say that us being ahead of them in the standings is proof that we would handily beat them is just not true.  The fact that they were without Derozan for a stretch (where they did poorly) is why they fell below us.  Would we have caught them anyway? Maybe. But to say that them being below us in the standings should mean that we shouldn't even discuss whether they're better is ludicrous.

And it's odd that you decided a quote from me was the best example of how pessimistic everyone on this forum is.  If you asked everyone here, I think 99% of people would tell you quite the opposite.  I guess it may just be a case of "Everyone more negative than me is a raging pessimist, and everyone more positive than me is a delusional kool-aid drinker"
I think if we played Toronto, or Washington in the playoffs it would be a toss up. After improving every year since Brad got here, with a team in 2nd place and 2 more years of high lotto picks, there shouldn't be pessimism, even if Toronto or Washington is better than us?

My issue is that people don't seem to appreciate the advantageous position we are in and instead feel the need to talk about how we are part of a "forever rebuild".

Mostly I get frustrated with the idea that every season the only goal is a title. It seems like a lot of people on here are unhappy with any move they don't directly see connected to winning a title. It makes discussing the Celtics on here a less enjoyable experience when a lot of posters act like nothing matters.

Personally, I think the goal for a team every year should be to improve upon their last season. It has made the forum less fun because so many people won't concede that anything positive is happening.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

There we go!

Except that he did not make the bolded assertion, with or without surrounding context.  Hope you did not expend much time or energy constructing such a simple and obvious straw man.

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Toronto lost a guy that you claimed would really help them in sully.
Ibaka is better than Sullinger.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Perhaps people are still upset about not getting DeMarcus or making another similar trade.

Me? I'm as happy as a pig in slop right now, TBH.

DA had his reasons for not making those trades. I'm guessing that some of his fellow GMs are probably trying to ask too much to undercut what he received in the BKN trade.

A decision - made under duress - could set this franchise back again.

Stay the course, Danny - stay the course.

Oh - and I wish the media would just stop with the "Twin Towers" comparisons. AD / Boogie are NOT there, yet....maybe one day.

These three sets of HOFers are and forever more "MY" Twin Towers