Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8458 times)

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lack of patience.

I think that's part of the problem with some people.  Also, unreasonable expectations.  Then you see some people putting the organization on full blast all the time but never off up real tangible alternatives (which, if they did, would garner a lot more respect from me than the generalizations with no solutions).

Criticism is perfectly fine.  No organization in sports is really above criticism.  It's when its blanket statements are made or things are said that are clearly not thought out.  That's the stuff that bugs me.  Saw some of it yesterday. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Completely agree. The Celtics took a step backwards yesterday.

How does doing nothing equate to taking a step backward?

I am now resigned to the wasting, as Roy put it, of an MVP-caliber season by Thomas and one of the dwindling good years Horford has left, and I acknowledge now that signing Al probably was a mistake. I liked the move in the summer because I thought it represented a commitment to win that doesn't seem to exist.

Acquiring Jimmy Butler wouldn't have changed that. Acquiring Cousins wouldn't have changed that. It would just mean getting bounced in the ECF in 6 games or 5 in the Finals - especially if the deal had to contain Jae Crowder (as has been reported) who is the one guy we have who might be able to guard Lebron over a series.

And no, I don't consider being relevant success for a franchise with this tradition. I'm going to leave chasing participation ribbons to the franchises that have never done anything meaningful.

We'll just have to see what all this inaction by Ainge means for the future.

It means that there's still powder in the guns, junior.

Patience is a virtue. Throwing all your chips on the table while you know 2 other players are holding 4 aces isn't exactly the smart play.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Oddly the pessimism seems to get louder and more constant as the team gets closer to contention. People who were here during the Big 3 era remember how bad it got at times. When we're bad most of the negativity seems to revolve around the team not doing enough to lose more often  :)

Second-guessing and disappointment and all that make sense and are part of a vibrant discussion, but I've never understood how some fans seem to want to wrap themselves in constant negativity. It's supposed to be entertainment, folks.
I also think you had to endure the Rick Pitino era to see the downside of making major moves without fully considering the downside.  Many here may not have been around for that.  The rest of it is part of fandom. 

I've always felt that this is the stage where the most patience is required because if they get the moves right, the team should contend for several years.  If they don't, they'll move backward and maybe never get over the hump.  All the major moves available to them this week had potentially significant downside.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:18:16 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I am now resigned to the wasting, as Roy put it, of an MVP-caliber season by Thomas and one of the dwindling good years Horford has left, and I acknowledge now that signing Al probably was a mistake. I liked the move in the summer because I thought it represented a commitment to win that doesn't seem to exist.

Acquiring Jimmy Butler wouldn't have changed that. It would just mean getting bounced in the ECF in 6 games or 5 in the Finals - especially if the deal had to contain Jae Crowder (as has been reported).

And no, I don't consider being relevant success for a franchise with this tradition. I'm going to leave chasing participation ribbons to the franchises that have never done anything meaningful.

Patience is a virtue. Throwing all your chips on the table while you know 2 other players are holding 4 aces isn't exactly the smart play.

Your new position of avoiding vitriol didn't last long, did it?

The current team needed rebounding. Ainge didn't deliver. Our Eastern Conference opponents improved. Got that?

Significant step backwards.

I know it doesn't fit your narrative to actually acknowledge facts, especially while you're blustering about loving a good "discussion" and bemoaning all the vitriol, but if you have a shred of interest in being honest, you'll note that I was NOT calling for a Butler or George deal.

I was calling for Ainge to strengthen the current club, Sparky. He failed. Miserably. Quit entirely on the season. Totally unacceptable from where I sit.

The real thesis of this thread is "God, I can't stand it when everyone doesn't agree with 'In Danny I trust.'" LOL.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Acquiring Jimmy Butler wouldn't have changed that. It would just mean getting bounced in the ECF in 6 games or 5 in the Finals - especially if the deal had to contain Jae Crowder (as has been reported).

The current team needed rebounding. Ainge didn't deliver. Our Eastern Conference opponents improved. Got that?

I know it doesn't fit your narrative to actually acknowledge facts, especially while you're blustering about loving a good "discussion" and bemoaning all the vitriol, but if you have a shred of interest in being honest, you'll note that I was NOT calling for a Butler or George deal.

I was calling for Ainge to strengthen the current club, Sparky. He failed. Miserably. Quit entirely on the season. Totally unacceptable from where I sit.

The real thesis of this thread is "God, I can't stand it when everyone doesn't agree with 'In Danny I trust.'" LOL.

Standing pat while someone else takes a step forward is not taking a step backwards. Is it losing ground to an opponent? Yes. Is it taking a step backwards? No - it's standing in the exact same spot you were in to begin with.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Mostly because of all the Celtics front office bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. they spew. 

This week it's mostly  because this is like 4 or 5 deadlines in a row they've done absolutely nothing.   I mean,  when good players are being had for 2nd round picks and the Celtics have so many picks that are essentially useless with the way they've been using them, you start to wonder what the hell Danny has been doing for the last 2 years.   

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Mostly because of all the Celtics front office bull**** they spew. 

This week it's mostly  because this is like 4 or 5 deadlines in a row they've done absolutely nothing.   I mean,  when good players are being had for 2nd round picks and the Celtics have so many picks that are essentially useless with the way they've been using them, you start to wonder what the hell Danny has been doing for the last 2 years.

Was acquiring Isaiah at the trade deadline 2 years ago "absolutely nothing"?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Mostly because of all the Celtics front office bull**** they spew. 

Was acquiring Isaiah at the trade deadline 2 years ago "absolutely nothing"?

There are some very short memories around here.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Standing pat while someone else takes a step forward is not taking a step backwards. Is it losing ground to an opponent? Yes. Is it taking a step backwards? No - it's standing in the exact same spot you were in to begin with.
while people behind you move ahead of you, so yeah technically Boston didn't get worse, but it likely hurt its chances and thus did get worse. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pessimism is a Boston sports thing. I mean, J. Garropolo will probably be traded for the #12 pick in the draft and you'll get people saying (1) BB screwed up by not keeping JG and (2) they don't trust BB to draft a good player with #12.

Seriously, we just like to be pessimistic about our sports teams.

I think it is the result of 80+ years of the Red Sox losing. We have become conditioned to expect the worst, because it helps cushion the blow of losing. It is now sort of ingrained in the regional psyche.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

while people behind you move ahead of you, so yeah technically Boston didn't get worse, but it likely hurt its chances and thus did get worse.

What teams that were behind us took a step in front of us? Toronto was ahead of us before the Ibaka trade, and Washington and Atlanta didn't pass us
I'm bitter.

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
There are no guarantees that Toronto and Washington move ahead of us.  It's not easy to integrate new players in half a season with very little practice time. 

Just look at the track record here with mid season acquisitions the last several years.  How many of those worked out? (Troy Murphy anyone?)  Last one was probably Rodney Rogers and Delk and while that helped short term the price was Joe Johnson.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:51 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
There are no guarantees that Toronto and Washington move ahead of us.  It's not easy to integrate new players in half a season with very little practice time. 

Just look at the track record here with mid season acquisitions the last several years.  How many of those worked out? (Troy Murphy anyone?)  Last one was probably Rodney Rogers and Delk and while that helped short term the price was Joe Johnson.

The last one was definitely adding Isaiah in 2015.  That kind of this is rare, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

So if you are at the 5km mark while your opponent are at 4 and 3 respectively and they each moved 1km forward, suddenly you stepped backward and you are not at 5km anymore?  Huwaat?! Mindblown! CoachBo logic wohoo

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

What teams that were behind us took a step in front of us? Toronto was ahead of us before the Ibaka trade, and Washington and Atlanta didn't pass us
Toronto is 4 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Washington is 2 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  Atlanta is 4.5 games behind Boston in the standings.  They got better.  While Boston did not get worse, it also did not get better either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip