Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8521 times)

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Because Celtic fans drink a lot.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 08:05:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's a difference between disappointment/disagreement and pessimism.

Danny is a very good GM, but he makes mistakes as well. The "fire Danny" posts are too much in my opinion, but it's okay if folks don't blindly recite "In Danny we trust".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm still salty Boston didn't acquire Cousins for Brown and the BKN 18 pick.  Cousins was the one guy that I think could have made a real difference against Cleveland and even Golden State, and when he went for as cheaply as he did there really is no excuse he isn't a Celtic right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Because Celtics fans are the real deplorables.  The worst part of being a Celtics fan is other Celtics fans.

You can. Root for the Lakers or 76ers then.

It seems that too many people around here do that already.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It s the same with fans of every team in every sport everywhere in the worl

cbloggers are not different

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Danny is a very good GM, but he makes mistakes as well. The "fire Danny" posts are too much in my opinion, but it's okay if folks don't blindly recite "In Danny we trust".

Disagreement is fine but the we've seemed to reach a crescendo of vitriol lately. We just didn't have "fire Danny" posts yesterday, we had quite a few "f*** Danny" posts yesterday. When we get that level of conversation something has gone very wrong around here.

I can have - and enjoy - a reasonable discussion with you on why perhaps trading for Cousins wasn't the right idea or BitterJim on why not including Crowder for a Butler deal was necessary (those are examples, I'm not saying you guys advocate those positions). But there's nothing to do with f*** Danny or we're doomed to suck posts. There was a lot of that on draft night and more of it yesterday.

*shakes head*
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Disagreement is fine but the we've seemed to reach a crescendo of vitriol lately. We just didn't have "fire Danny" posts yesterday, we had quite a few "f*** Danny" posts yesterday. When we get that level of conversation something has gone very wrong around here.

I can have - and enjoy - a reasonable discussion with you on why perhaps trading for Cousins wasn't the right idea or BitterJim on why not including Crowder for a Butler deal was necessary (those are examples, I'm not saying you guys advocate those positions). But there's nothing to do with f*** Danny or we're doomed to suck posts. There was a lot of that on draft night and more of it yesterday.

*shakes head*

I don't disagree. I think those posts are fairly rare (and are against our rules). I understand venting, but there are more appropriate venues for that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Oddly the pessimism seems to get louder and more constant as the team gets closer to contention. People who were here during the Big 3 era remember how bad it got at times. When we're bad most of the negativity seems to revolve around the team not doing enough to lose more often  :)

Second-guessing and disappointment and all that make sense and are part of a vibrant discussion, but I've never understood how some fans seem to want to wrap themselves in constant negativity. It's supposed to be entertainment, folks.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
"The short answer is: because they can. People feel much safer in the relative-annonimity of an online persona, either hiding behind an avatar or simply in the safety of their own space (The meanest and most negative usually middle-aged and living in mom’s basement). Those who lack the social skills or courage to speak up and voice their opinions in the real world (which the Internet is not), due to a fear of retaliation or social stigmatization will overdo it with negativity online, lashing out at will. Many are reacting to their own shortcomings (either real or perceived) or attempting to bolster their own ego and self-worth by raining on others’ parades. Not to mention that it's easier and “"more cool” to be against something than for anything, at least in their own limited perception. It's better to take these individuals, and their negative opinions/rants with a grain of salt."

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-people-so-negative-on-the-internet

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

*shakes head*

I Agree.
What surprise me is how people get mad on things that they are not aware.
Like all the rumors, half of them are false. Why get mad at your GM when you don't know the deals on the table?
Like a deal for Ibaka or Bogut. Nobody knows what those players want (I heard Ibaka wanted to sign in Toronto anyway, maybe he didn't want to pass the rest of the season here? We have no info).
Cuban made a solid to Bogut who wanted to be a FA. (Maybe he made sure Philly let go of Bogut as part of the deal for Noel).
All this to say that we can't judge each action of our FO. What we can judge is the result of those actions year after year and conclude if the risks/plans involved were responsible and profitable for the franchise and the fans.
I don't know about you, but I'm delighted year after year.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Oddly the pessimism seems to get louder and more constant as the team gets closer to contention. People who were here during the Big 3 era remember how bad it got at times. When we're bad most of the negativity seems to revolve around the team not doing enough to lose more often  :)

Second-guessing and disappointment and all that make sense and are part of a vibrant discussion, but I've never understood how some fans seem to want to wrap themselves in constant negativity. It's supposed to be entertainment, folks.
I don't actually think the team is closer to contention, in fact with the small moves that Toronto, Washington, and Atlanta made, I'd say Boston is farther from contention today than they were yesterday.  Those teams all made plays to make their teams better, Boston just didn't do that.  And would anyone be surprised if 1 or more of those team passed Boston in the standings or any of them beat Boston before Boston ever has a shot at Cleveland?  I mean what if Toronto and Washington push Boston to the 4 seed and a matchup with the Hawks.  Would anyone really be surprised if Atlanta beat Boston in the 1st round again?  I'm not saying Atlanta would or would even be favored, but it wouldn't be surprising if the Hawks won that series either, and even if Boston does win the 4/5 matchup that means Cleveland in round 2. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Disagreement is fine
but the we've seemed to reach a crescendo of vitriol lately. We just didn't have "fire Danny" posts yesterday, we had quite a few "f*** Danny" posts yesterday. When we get that level of conversation something has gone very wrong around here.

*shakes head*

Good to know you've changed your position.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I don't actually think the team is closer to contention, in fact with the small moves that Toronto, Washington, and Atlanta made, I'd say Boston is farther from contention today than they were yesterday.  Those teams all made plays to make their teams better, Boston just didn't do that.  And would anyone be surprised if 1 or more of those team passed Boston in the standings or any of them beat Boston before Boston ever has a shot at Cleveland?  I mean what if Toronto and Washington push Boston to the 4 seed and a matchup with the Hawks.  Would anyone really be surprised if Atlanta beat Boston in the 1st round again?  I'm not saying Atlanta would or would even be favored, but it wouldn't be surprising if the Hawks won that series either, and even if Boston does win the 4/5 matchup that means Cleveland in round 2.

Completely agree. The Celtics took a step backwards yesterday.

I am now resigned to the wasting, as Roy put it, of an MVP-caliber season by Thomas and one of the dwindling good years Horford has left, and I acknowledge now that signing Al probably was a mistake. I liked the move in the summer because I thought it represented a commitment to win that doesn't seem to exist.

And no, I don't consider being relevant success for a franchise with this tradition. I'm going to leave chasing participation ribbons to the franchises that have never done anything meaningful.

We'll just have to see what all this inaction by Ainge means for the future.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:33:57 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm still salty Boston didn't acquire Cousins for Brown and the BKN 18 pick.  Cousins was the one guy that I think could have made a real difference against Cleveland and even Golden State, and when he went for as cheaply as he did there really is no excuse he isn't a Celtic right now.

Cousins is a bumb. I've never seen a game were he hasn't pouted up the floor for a third of the game because he didn't get the call he wanted. Some one on here mentioned that SAC went through tapes the weeks prior to the trade and looked at how much he hurt their games by doing this. The guy has all the talent in the world, but he's about making himself look good and not doing whats the best for the team.

There is a reason he went cheap, LA didn't want to give up Ingram for him who right now isn't heads and feet over Brown, and not many other teams came to play. Dallas,Utah,Chicago, could have gone after him to help their playoff runs. The Bucks could have traded Monroe straight up for him, would have been good for both teams, Even OKC could have made that deal. In a couple years this could be a good none trade.

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Lack of patience.