Author Topic: Bulpett: Danny is seemingly highly confident about draft/free agency this summer  (Read 8841 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's a really bad fit unless you decide to change the entire offense (in that case IT will be less efficient

I think this is an example of stereotypical and quite frankly shallow thinking.   We still need boards and we still set picks and could use rim protection.  I think someone could find a use for him.   Pop always found a use for Duncan and he won in the modern NBA.   Drummond is athletic and has footspeed to cover a lot of the schemes we would use on D.   Offensively is where he would hurt us but he could probably offensive rebound better than anyone we have had for a long time.   He is way better rebounder than Sully who played for us and did not stretch the floor because he shot so poorly and teams gave him that shot.

Drummond actually a below average defender other than being very good shot blocker. He's awful defending the pick roll and gets owned in the post way too much for someone with his physical gifts. He also abad passer, low IQ. He is not a good fit here tbh.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's a really bad fit unless you decide to change the entire offense (in that case IT will be less efficient

I think this is an example of stereotypical and quite frankly shallow thinking.   We still need boards and we still set picks and could use rim protection.  I think someone could find a use for him.   Pop always found a use for Duncan and he won in the modern NBA.   Drummond is athletic and has footspeed to cover a lot of the schemes we would use on D.   Offensively is where he would hurt us but he could probably offensive rebound better than anyone we have had for a long time.   He is way better rebounder than Sully who played for us and did not stretch the floor because he shot so poorly and teams gave him that shot.

Drummond actually a below average defender other than being very good shot blocker. He's awful defending the pick roll and gets owned in the post way too much for someone with his physical gifts. He also abad passer, low IQ. He is not a good fit here tbh.
He's not even a good shot blocker.  1.2 in 30mpg.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
“Danny wasn’t taking the Nets picks or really anything off the table,” said one league executive, “but the fact he was so comfortable waiting for the draft and summer scares the (expletive) out of me.”

This is absolute music to my ears!  This front office knows what they're doing.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You can't trade the 2018 nets pick lightly. It has the potential to be even better than nets 2017.

That's it, TP. If there is a HS stellar prospect or Doncic confirms himself as the new Petrovic, it can be the final piece for years. And it's cost-controlled, which will be a factor after 2018.

I'd much rather have a top 4 pick in the next draft than this one. More to the point though, the Nets 17 pick will have a lot more value on draft night/summer than the Nets 18 pick. I would think trading the Nets 17 pick over the Nets 18 pick would save us assets like Bradley or Crowder in any potential trade.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You can't trade the 2018 nets pick lightly. It has the potential to be even better than nets 2017.

That's it, TP. If there is a HS stellar prospect or Doncic confirms himself as the new Petrovic, it can be the final piece for years. And it's cost-controlled, which will be a factor after 2018.

I'd much rather have a top 4 pick in the next draft than this one. More to the point though, the Nets 17 pick will have a lot more value on draft night/summer than the Nets 18 pick. I would think trading the Nets 17 pick over the Nets 18 pick would save us assets like Bradley or Crowder in any potential trade.
not if it is the 4th pick
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
“Danny wasn’t taking the Nets picks or really anything off the table,” said one league executive, “but the fact he was so comfortable waiting for the draft and summer scares the (expletive) out of me.”

This is absolute music to my ears!  This front office knows what they're doing.

Exactly. Sure we could've used a small piece to help with the boards but I'm sure some GM's would've sighed in relief if we cashed every chip we had in for Butler or George. They knew how good we'd be right away and the truth is it still wasn't enough to beat GS and Cleveland for at least 2-3 years. At which point any of the remaining guys we have now would be gone (IT, Hortford, AB/Crowder, Smart, Butler/George).

By staying pat we keep everything, can add another max contract this summer AND likely get top 2 pick in an already loaded draft.

I can imagine other GM's praying we'd overpay for one guy. Now they're scared.  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I'd disagree - I think even at #4 the 2017 pick would have more value than the 2018 pick. But both are awesome opportunities to add talent (either by draft or trade) to an already very good team.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd disagree - I think even at #4 the 2017 pick would have more value than the 2018 pick. But both are awesome opportunities to add talent (either by draft or trade) to an already very good team.
I don't believe that will be the case because I think most people would expect BKN to be terrible again and the 2018 draft is supposedly loaded with top level big men.  If the 17 pick falls to 4 that is the worst case scenario, and sure it is still a great pick, but I just don't see it as having the value of the 18 pick in that scenario. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
A trade is a swap of assets, while a free agent or a draft choice is a pure addition. Getting Hayward, who is a really productive two way wing would be a nice score, and would be preferable to getting a somewhat better player like Butler or George, but giving up the farm.

Also, I don't see Ainge ever going after a center or power forward without perimeter skills. He didn't bite on Noel or Bogut, both of whom would otherwise be very nice additions. I think he sees skilled bigs as the key to our teams offensive flow.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I don't believe that will be the case because I think most people would expect BKN to be terrible again and the 2018 draft is supposedly loaded with top level big men.  If the 17 pick falls to 4 that is the worst case scenario, and sure it is still a great pick, but I just don't see it as having the value of the 18 pick in that scenario.

I don't know.  There's a lot of risk with a pick from the team that you KNOW will be the worst in the NBA because the lottery is risky, you would then be adding the risk that they ended up not being the worst team in the NBA.  They might have similar values if the 2017 pick falls to #4, but I still think the sure top-4 2017 pick would have more value.

Plus, teams fall in love with players around draft time, so even if the 2017 and 2018 picks had objectively identical value, the 2017 pick would likely be valued higher on draft night

I haven't looked into the 2018 draft, though, so I can't really say for sure
I'm bitter.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A trade is a swap of assets, while a free agent or a draft choice is a pure addition. Getting Hayward, who is a really productive two way wing would be a nice score, and would be preferable to getting a somewhat better player like Butler or George, but giving up the farm.

Also, I don't see Ainge ever going after a center or power forward without perimeter skills. He didn't bite on Noel or Bogut, both of whom would otherwise be very nice additions. I think he sees skilled bigs as the key to our teams offensive flow.

From what DA was describing about a big he'd like to get it's got to be some one that can pick and pop, like KG did, and pull guys out from the paint to give guys like IT,Smart,Brown to work. Also has to be able to switch and defend on the perimeter. Not many guys in the league that can do that. Doesn't look like many coming up in the draft too.

I think Stevens wants to be long,fast and skilled, before big and tall. It could actually change the game if they can pull it off. One thing that the NBA lacks is a ton of skilled players. More athletes that can do one thing well, than actual skilled players.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think these teams are being greedy compared to other teams offers.  Other teams can't offer 4 players like Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Brown, even Rozier to trade for.  Danny should wait until the price is right.

If the pick becomes the first pick, maybe you can get George for the Nets pick and Bradley plus filler or something.  I saw rumors they were asking for 3 young players which is too much to give up.  I think Smart should be untouchable right now because I think he will be an All Star level player soon.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Maybe they feel like the have a really good shot at Hayward in FA.

I'd feel much more comfortable with that route if there was a potential big that we could draft this year, but we're pretty much limited to guards and swings. Still need a major upgrade in the bigs department.

I'm still hoping there's a chance that Griffin considers us in free agency. And if not, I'd be fine with signing any one of Hayward, Milsap, or Ibaka and being a borderline contender while we develop our young guys.

Going to have to trade AB this summer, though.

I'm on board with signing Hayward and moving AB, Crowder and/or the BRK 2018 for a big. I'm just not sure who will be available.

Agreed. The possibility of adding Hayward left me on the sidelines on all the Butler and George speculation, as did the reality that big deals rarely happen at the deadline.

As for the big, if you believe Ainge - and I don't - we don't need to fortify our rebounding, so I guess I'll expect a long run to the ECF, eh?

Who needs a big? LOL.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think these teams are being greedy compared to other teams offers.  Other teams can't offer 4 players like Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Brown, even Rozier to trade for.  Danny should wait until the price is right.

If the pick becomes the first pick, maybe you can get George for the Nets pick and Bradley plus filler or something.  I saw rumors they were asking for 3 young players which is too much to give up.  I think Smart should be untouchable right now because I think he will be an All Star level player soon.
It's more like the other teams are afraid to get fleeced by Danny and the insane team after using all the brooklyn picks, that's why they want to fleece boston at all costs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Maybe they feel like the have a really good shot at Hayward in FA.

I'd feel much more comfortable with that route if there was a potential big that we could draft this year, but we're pretty much limited to guards and swings. Still need a major upgrade in the bigs department.

I'm still hoping there's a chance that Griffin considers us in free agency. And if not, I'd be fine with signing any one of Hayward, Milsap, or Ibaka and being a borderline contender while we develop our young guys.

Going to have to trade AB this summer, though.

I think alot depends on this Zizic character. If he really is good for 10-10ish in the NBA, then it will alleviate a lot of our need for a big $ big man. Combined with Hayward/Fultz/Ball, it might be enough to push us over CLE but would still like to move Bradley/18 pick for a big like Drummond