Author Topic: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17  (Read 60536 times)

Re: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17
« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Celtics management obviously didnt care about this season success, but atleast we still have 100 draft picks to stash in europe these next few years.
Well, you're at least half right. It's not just about this season.

I understand we dont want to give away the brooklyn picks.
but we could have upgraded easily using some of our other picks, even if it is for a possible rental
a rental of who exactly?  who is the miracle player that could be had for less than Brooklyn picks or gutting the core of the team that would make us significantly better where we actually contend --> because that's the only point in 'renting' a player.

Ibaka. I think we legitimately have a chance of beating Cleveland with Ibaka. We get AB back and add Ibaka, that's a legitimate chance to get to the finals, and it only would've cost something like Rozier, Zeller, and the Memphis or Clippers pick. But Danny is irrationally high on Rozier.

What is holding us back right now is twofold: not having AB for his scoring and being the third guard in our rotation and not having that one extra big to play. This lineup would seriously challenge Cleveland:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: AB, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Ibaka, KO/JJ
C: Horford, Amir
that's purely a guess on your part that C's would have only had to part with that. 

I would have liked to get Ibaka but we'll see how he works out for Toronto the rest of the season.  C's had problems with the whole Toronto team, not just Ibaka and if we had him, he wouldn't have stopped Derozan at all.  wouldn't have stopped IT from trying to play hero ball either

No, that's literally what the hold up was. It was widely reported that Danny wouldn't give up Rozier in the deal. The package was something like Zeller (salary filler), Rozier, and one of the Memphis pick or Clippers pick (I think Memphis). Hell, half of the NBA was making fun of Danny for that, and that's where most of the "overvaluing of his assets" talk came from in the last couple of days.

There was even a Celticsblog article about it: http://www.celticsblog.com/2017/2/14/14611328/source-celtics-orlando-magic-trade-talks-over-serge-ibaka-stalled-out-terry-rozier-toronto-raptors

Multiple sources tell CelticsBlog that the Celtics and Magic had discussed an Ibaka deal, but the Celtics were not willing to include Terry Rozier.

As to your other point, no, Ibaka alone wouldn't have made us win tonight, though his presence sure would've helped on the boards and on PnR defense. But you add a healthy Bradley to the mix, too, and we're clearly the better team.

« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Missed the entire 2nd half, but got worried towards end of the first.  2nd half summary from anyone? TP awaits.

C's were outworked and the Raps had the defensive plan against IT in the 4th. Thomas jacked up a bunch of bad shots, made a couple of bad TO's and we just couldn't recover. He was guarded by the likes of Tucker and Joseph, both of whom played him physical. Derozan couldn't be stopped and I feel like he did most of his damage in the 3rd qtr against our bench unit. He hit a big shot to ice the game late in the 4th after a questionable call (Crowder stripped him and replay looked like it went off Demar but Raps got the ball).

In summary, Raps looked really good out there, playing like a cohesive unit. Cory Joseph, Derozan, Carroll, Patterson and Ibaka looked like a tough lineup to defend. PJ Tucker was a very good acquisition for them, as a 3D player (looked even  better than Carroll in this game).
- LilRip

« Reply #587 on: February 25, 2017, 12:11:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Seems like a lot of finger pointing tonight after this loss.

At Ainge (for not getting someone like a Tucker):

"P.J. Tucker got them going. That's what he does. He's the definition of a tough guy." - @Celtics Isaiah Thomas. #Celticstalk

Al Horford: "P.J. Tucker...He’s a guy people are sleeping on the impact he’s gonna have on this team."

At IT for his bad decision-making and shot selection in the 4th:

Horford: "The ball can’t stick. That’s the biggest thing.When that happens I feel like offense gets very stagnant & we’re very predictable."

At Horford for his lack of going for rebounds:

Brad Stevens: "We can’t let a loose ball bounce in front of us and not dive on it, which happened on a couple of different occasions."

On IT/Brad not getting Al the ball more for shots:

Horford is asked if he needs more than 5 shots in a game like this. "I think so...there's no question."

« Reply #588 on: February 25, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Seems like a lot of finger pointing tonight after this loss.

At Ainge (for not getting someone like a Tucker):

"P.J. Tucker got them going. That's what he does. He's the definition of a tough guy." - @Celtics Isaiah Thomas. #Celticstalk

Al Horford: "P.J. Tucker...He’s a guy people are sleeping on the impact he’s gonna have on this team."

At IT for his bad decision-making and shot selection in the 4th:

Horford: "The ball can’t stick. That’s the biggest thing.When that happens I feel like offense gets very stagnant & we’re very predictable."

At Horford for his lack of going for rebounds:

Brad Stevens: "We can’t let a loose ball bounce in front of us and not dive on it, which happened on a couple of different occasions."

On IT/Brad not getting Al the ball more for shots:

Horford is asked if he needs more than 5 shots in a game like this. "I think so...there's no question."

TP.  You nailed it. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #589 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:54 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Missed the entire 2nd half, but got worried towards end of the first.  2nd half summary from anyone? TP awaits.

Derozan can't be stopped; Tucker makes a whole bunch of defensive plays.

Thanks, looks like it.  Tucker would've been nice to have in green.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC