Author Topic: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17  (Read 60743 times)

Re: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17
« Reply #570 on: February 24, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
‏@ByJayKing 
 Stevens pointed out the obvious: Tucker and Ibaka made a big difference letting Toronto go "small" while keeping physicality.

Why can't we get players like that...

Because we're not having one last roll of the dice at contending with a 31 year old Kyle Lowry by trading all our available picks at the deadline.

All our available picks? Thought PJ cost two seconds? Hmmm....

« Reply #571 on: February 24, 2017, 11:26:10 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Where the **** is Avery Bradley?

Seriously.

You do realize our one all star played tonite and theirs was out?  But yea Bradley woulda made the difference :o

« Reply #572 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:38 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This wasn't the best game for Stevens.

When are you going start demanding at least 10 shots from Horford?

Horford agrees....

‏@AdamHimmelsbach  7m7 minutes ago
Horford is asked if he needs more than 5 shots in a game like this. "I think so...there's no question."

I would also say that this ITs fault too.

« Reply #573 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Jesus Christ, Horford is so bad on PnR defense. Just completely left Derozan open there.

It's okay, though, cuz he makes up for it with his rebounding. Oh wait ...

Seriously. I've been a big fan and proponent of Al being a Celtic, but he's clearly overpaid for his production. At this point, he's no longer a "star" and is ultimately a high-end, glorified role player.

But we ultimately had to pay him that to get him here, so you can't really complain about that.

What ticks me off is his insistence of playing the PF position when he's clearly a C. He can't guard out on the perimeter to save his life, especially in the PnR. As good as his defensive reputation was from Atlanta, I had no idea that he'd be so absolutely terrible at defending the PnR.

But it's not like Danny has really done anything to get him an actual legitimate frontcourt mate either...

« Reply #574 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ugh.  Good night, y'all.  This one hurts.  We had the world on our hands and we let it dissolve into nothingness.  Brad not jumping at the chance to coach Cousins should be a big deal...but i guess i'm one of the only few ppl around here who give a [dang]. 

With a saddened heart, go C's.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #575 on: February 24, 2017, 11:37:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Horford agrees....

Horford is asked if he needs more than 5 shots in a game like this. "I think so...there's no question."

Certainly Stevens is at fault for many issues tonight, and IT was a big reason we lost, too.

But Horford is one of the leaders of this team, so he needs to demand the ball more instead of letting IT go out there and chuck up crap all fourth quarter long.

Many of us have been saying this type of basketball isn't going to be sustainable or work in the playoffs, and now the chickens are coming home to roost when the game starts getting serious.

« Reply #576 on: February 24, 2017, 11:39:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Celtics management obviously didnt care about this season success, but atleast we still have 100 draft picks to stash in europe these next few years.
Well, you're at least half right. It's not just about this season.

I understand we dont want to give away the brooklyn picks.
but we could have upgraded easily using some of our other picks, even if it is for a possible rental
a rental of who exactly?  who is the miracle player that could be had for less than Brooklyn picks or gutting the core of the team that would make us significantly better where we actually contend --> because that's the only point in 'renting' a player.

Ibaka. I think we legitimately have a chance of beating Cleveland with Ibaka. We get AB back and add Ibaka, that's a legitimate chance to get to the finals, and it only would've cost something like Rozier, Zeller, and the Memphis or Clippers pick. But Danny is irrationally high on Rozier.

What is holding us back right now is twofold: not having AB for his scoring and being the third guard in our rotation and not having that one extra big to play. This lineup would seriously challenge Cleveland:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: AB, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Ibaka, KO/JJ
C: Horford, Amir
that's purely a guess on your part that C's would have only had to part with that. 

I would have liked to get Ibaka but we'll see how he works out for Toronto the rest of the season.  C's had problems with the whole Toronto team, not just Ibaka and if we had him, he wouldn't have stopped Derozan at all.  wouldn't have stopped IT from trying to play hero ball either

« Reply #577 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Missed the entire 2nd half, but got worried towards end of the first.  2nd half summary from anyone? TP awaits.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #578 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Horford agrees....

Certainly Stevens is at fault for many issues tonight, and IT was a big reason we lost, too.

But Horford is one of the leaders of this team, so he needs to demand the ball more instead of letting IT go out there and chuck up crap all fourth quarter long.

Many of us have been saying this type of basketball isn't going to be sustainable or work in the playoffs, and now the chickens are coming home to roost when the game starts getting serious.

It is hard to demand the ball when you have guys like IT feeling himself, Crowder shooting well, and Smart doing Marcus things.

It is the coach's job to call plays for people.  Stevens has to realize this, and there is no doubt in my mind he will look at Al's shot attempts and say "I screwed up."  Even Olynyk only had like 3 shots! Why even play these guys if they don't shoot??

« Reply #579 on: February 24, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
‏@ByJayKing 
 Stevens pointed out the obvious: Tucker and Ibaka made a big difference letting Toronto go "small" while keeping physicality.

Why can't we get players like that...

Because we're not having one last roll of the dice at contending with a 31 year old Kyle Lowry by trading all our available picks at the deadline.

All our available picks? Thought PJ cost two seconds? Hmmm....

And Ibaka cost their first. They added Tucker AND Ibaka.

They are in a different situation to us.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #580 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Missed the entire 2nd half, but got worried towards end of the first.  2nd half summary from anyone? TP awaits.

Derozan can't be stopped; Tucker makes a whole bunch of defensive plays.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Seriously.

You do realize our one all star played tonite and theirs was out?  But yea Bradley woulda made the difference :o

Was my question not legitimate?

They said we were healthy and yet Bradley didnt play.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #582 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Thomas had a bad game. 

« Reply #583 on: February 24, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Oon't forget that IT let the 4th quarter talk go to his head and had several turnovers and half a dozen bad shots.

« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Seriously.

Was my question not legitimate?

They said we were healthy and yet Bradley didnt play.

Bradley is hurt more than we thought - which totally sucks.

And I agree with cltc5 - we have been complaining about all of our injuries this season, yet we can't pull out a win with a double digit lead when they don't have Lowry. Not good.

No shots from KO or Horford is a joke. Apparently we are just going to let all of our guards jack up crappy shots while our best fg% players watch.