Author Topic: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17  (Read 60723 times)

Re: Celtics (37-20) at Raptors (33-24) Game #58 2/24/17
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
People are having knee jerk reactions.

The Celtics played pretty good tonight and I honestly the Raptors just hit everything down the stretch aided by some real home cooking.

That's the way I saw it, plus Jaylen had a nice game as did Smart.

« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Celtics management obviously didnt care about this season success, but atleast we still have 100 draft picks to stash in europe these next few years.
Well, you're at least half right. It's not just about this season.

I understand we dont want to give away the brooklyn picks.
but we could have upgraded easily using some of our other picks, even if it is for a possible rental
a rental of who exactly?  who is the miracle player that could be had for less than Brooklyn picks or gutting the core of the team that would make us significantly better where we actually contend --> because that's the only point in 'renting' a player.

Ibaka. I think we legitimately have a chance of beating Cleveland with Ibaka. We get AB back and add Ibaka, that's a legitimate chance to get to the finals, and it only would've cost something like Rozier, Zeller, and the Memphis or Clippers pick. But Danny is irrationally high on Rozier.

What is holding us back right now is twofold: not having AB for his scoring and being the third guard in our rotation and not having that one extra big to play. This lineup would seriously challenge Cleveland:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: AB, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Ibaka, KO/JJ
C: Horford, Amir

« Reply #527 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
Celtics management obviously didnt care about this season success, but atleast we still have 100 draft picks to stash in europe these next few years.

but we could have upgraded easily using some of our other picks, even if it is for a possible rental
a rental of who exactly?  who is the miracle player that could be had for less than Brooklyn picks or gutting the core of the team that would make us significantly better where we actually contend --> because that's the only point in 'renting' a player.

well toronto had 2 examples...

« Reply #528 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Maybe Danny has gotten too used to sitting on his assets and doing nothing.

The fly in the ointment may be the coach.

« Reply #529 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
What is sad and pathetic is that these guys gave almost their all.  They put up defensive effort they haven't this season.  And we still lost.  This is basically the revelation of what is to come in the playoffs.

Morons on this board needs to shut tha **** up.  I'm looking at Danny Ainge aplologist morons.  Here is your future.  How is that moral victory?  Taste good?

This is not the team you will see in 2 years.

If we don't get rid of Ainge, this is the type of team i'd see in green in 7 years.  Morons don't see past what is right in front of them.  I'm glad i'm not one of those.

Really? No improvement if we get a top 4 pick two years running?

How that working for the timberwolves or kings?  Would be great if you had a GM that traded for vet help or a coach that played the rookies to make them better.  But they'll rot on the bench so the scrubs that earned their spot can play because ya know, that's the Celtic way :P

« Reply #530 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
What is sad and pathetic is that these guys gave almost their all.  They put up defensive effort they haven't this season.  And we still lost.  This is basically the revelation of what is to come in the playoffs.

Morons on this board needs to shut tha **** up.  I'm looking at Danny Ainge aplologist morons.  Here is your future.  How is that moral victory?  Taste good?

If we don't get rid of Ainge, this is the type of team i'd see in green in 7 years.  Morons don't see past what is right in front of them.  I'm glad i'm not one of those.

IF. Smh

If what? We are getting top 4 picks in the next two drafts as the worst case.

« Reply #531 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Ibaka would have been a rental. You do not spend assets to rent. You spend assets to buy.

Ibaka. I think we legitimately have a chance of beating Cleveland with Ibaka. We get AB back and add Ibaka, that's a legitimate chance to get to the finals, and it only would've cost something like Rozier, Zeller, and the Memphis or Clippers pick. But Danny is irrationally high on Rozier.

What is holding us back right now is twofold: not having AB for his scoring and being the third guard in our rotation and not having that one extra big to play. This lineup would seriously challenge Cleveland:

« Reply #532 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69

IF. Smh

So tired of hearing about assets. Lets see what these draft picks become before praising Danny.

« Reply #533 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Now we lose the tiebreaker with Toronto. We lost ground to Toronto. We didn't capitalize on Washington's loss. We are let's face it - mediocre. Unless Thomas can hit 10-20 in the 4th quarter we are toast. Horford was missing in action. Jaylen looked good. Marcus was okay but other than that- terrible.

We can't shut down DeRozan when Lowry isn't playing. Let's hope we don't face them in the playoffs. Ibaka & Tucker proved their worth tonight. Tucker probably had more rebounds in limited minutes than anyone on the Celts. Looking forward to the draft.

« Reply #534 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

IF. Smh

Oh goody!  Pray for three years they amount to something and we don't turn into the lakers.  Yippeee!

« Reply #535 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

This whole "not commit to the present but not fully commit to the future" crap is just totally asinine to me. We either need to pick a focus or actually use some of our lesser assets and make us at least a faux contender right now. Rozier and the Memphis pick are the price to pay for someone like Ibaka, and you wouldn't even have to resign him this summer. Just renounce his Bird rights and sign Griffin, Hayward, or whoever else you have your sights set on if it doesn't work out the rest of the year.

« Reply #536 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
We really didn't appear to gameplan this one very well, especially in the second half.  We had no scheme on offense beyond "give IT the ball".  Not nearly enough ball and player movement.  We made it easy for Toronto for stop us, unless IT hit on several very difficult shots (he didn't tonight). 

On the other end, look:  Derozan is going to do Derozan things.  He's good, he's going to get calls, and if he's hitting shots you just live with it.  The problem is when you let their bit players play well too.  They kept forcing our defense to switch bigs onto their guards - especially Jerebko - and we never really adjusted to that tactic. 

Lastly, I know the trendy thing right now is to complain about Danny not trading for a rebounder.  But the guys we have need to make a better effort.  Notably, Horford had multiple loose balls in his area tonight that he did not go after.  He didn't grab a single board in the second half.  We need better from many of our guys in that phase of the game, but we particularly need better from him.  I get that he's a glue guy who does many things that don't show up in the stat sheet.  But he's way too talented to be putting up 8/5/1/1 stat lines.  That just isn't good enough. 

I'm going against the grain.  I believe our current team has the pieces to make a good run and give Toronto and Cleveland very competitive battles in the playoffs, especially when Bradley gets back.  But we need to play smarter, and we need to play harder. 

« Reply #537 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Riiiight. Let's fire Ainge. Problem solved.

« Reply #538 on: February 24, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

How that working for the timberwolves or kings?  Would be great if you had a GM that traded for vet help or a coach that played the rookies to make them better.  But they'll rot on the bench so the scrubs that earned their spot can play because ya know, that's the Celtic way :P

Are either of those teams in second place in the East? We also will have better draft picks than either of them. Your comparing apples to basketballs!

« Reply #539 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Al Horford ........ 8 pts. & 5 rbs. in one of the biggest games of the season @ 25 M per, no less.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce