Author Topic: This upcoming draft lottery will decide the future of this team  (Read 980 times)

This upcoming draft lottery will decide the future of this team
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Given how today went and the lack of moves for this team, with there being 2 Brooklyn picks left, Ainge's ultimate decision of how he wants to build the next title contender is going to come to a head this summer, I fully believe that.

Ainge can't continue to keep this core of players long term while also simultaneously using the Brooklyn picks...you aren't gonna win a championship that way, not when there's no true superstar talent on the roster yet.  Or if there is (Jaylen Brown, Fultz/Ball), they're still 4+ years away from truly breaking out.  There's not enough roster spots to keep everyone and too many guys want to get paid.  The timing just doesn't line up.

So essentially, as soon as the draft lottery concludes, Ainge needs to decide..."do I trade these picks and try to win now by adding to the current core we have?  or do I use the pick, start dealing off pieces of the current core, and start another semi-rebuild building around Fultz/Ball and Jaylen Brown?"

My gut tells me that if the pick ends up being #1 or #2, but especially #1, then I think Ainge will keep the pick and use it on Fultz or Ball.  This franchise has never had a #1 pick, and I'd be willing to bet Ainge and ownership wouldn't pass up that chance if they got it.  Once that happens, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a borderline purge of this roster, with Fultz/Ball, Jaylen Brown, and maybe Marcus Smart being the only untouchable players.

However, if this summer's Brooklyn pick is #3 or #4, I bet that drop is enough for him to revisit the Butler or George talks and try and go forward with the current core.

So mark it on the calendar if you haven't yet.  May 16, 2017.  That's the date where we'll all have a much better idea just what the heck the plan is for this franchise in both the short and long term.

Re: This upcoming draft lottery will decide the future of this team
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't think it will matter where the pick falls, the C's will keep the pick. The asking price is too much for Ainge.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Fultz, Ball and Jackson are all on the same tier for me, so not a big drop off 1-3.  At 4 the second tier of Isaac, Tatum etc. starts, and I think there is a drop there. 

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Just hoping Brooklyn doesn't go on a winning streak---and Lakers don't out-Tank them
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline mattmc33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • So what if we don't win 73 - the ring's the thing
This franchise has never had a #1 pick, and I'd be willing to bet Ainge and ownership wouldn't pass up that chance if they got it.

Quick point of order - the franchise HAS had a number 1 overall draft pick - back in 1980 when Red turned it into the heist of the century and got Mr Parish and Mr McHale essentially for what turned into one of the great wastes of talent in history, Joe Barry Carroll aka Joe Barely Cares.

I'm of the belief that both Fultz and Ball are transcendent ballplayers. I'd prefer Markelle just because he has no discernible weaknesses in his game, but Ball could turn into Jason Kidd 2.0, so that wouldn't be such a bad consolation prize.
"There will never, ever, be...another Larry Bird" - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson, Larry Bird Retirement Ceremony, Boston Garden