Author Topic: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?  (Read 5138 times)

Re: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can the moderators lock this thread? I am not paid by the Celtics to promote them, but most of this blog has recently turned into irrational mush. A guy says Danny can go to hell. There are a lot of weird comments lately.

I've been saying for months that trade speculation is stupid. I was proven correct, just as I was also right the Celtics are a top team despite the first twenty five games of injuries.

There are all these forum rules. Don't call people trolls. Don't cause trouble. It's a joke. What an embarrassing week of posts at the biggest Celtics forum. That's why a lot of us are here, because it gets the traffic. We are the ones getting frustrated because Celtics Blog must love "Celtics fans" telling Danny to go hell or that we won't sniff the Finals for another fifty years. This is ridiculous. Roy was going after Brad Stevens for not getting him Boogie Cousins. And everyone is afraid to confront such nonsense because he runs the place.

They whine for players where the positions are already filled. At least Cousins made sense in that respect. But Butler, Hayward, George, Blake Griffin? Come on. We might get the #1 and would have to have bad luck to not at least get the 2nd or 3rd pick. It's going to be near impossible to miss on those by trading or developing.

The whiners don't understand the financial part of it. They went on a collective tribal rant. It was more alienating than reading the randomness of an ESPN comment section. There was no value to this blog for the whole week off. Hopefully once the games start back up, this nonsense will be put to bed. Some want us to get pounded tonight. This place was a headache. Maybe it's good for Celtics Blog. Traffic is traffic. But stupid is also stupid.

But it was an eye opener and I'm sure some good people have quit or are thinking about it.

Maybe watch and get into the games more, follow the guys developing as individuals within the team concept. Then whatever Danny does, it will be a surprise. You can then have the knowledge to see what he is up to, whether it can work. As a "community" we are obviously ahead of Danny in regards to centers and bigs. But that's his blind spot, although he did once have Perk, KG and PJ for centers. Shaq almost won it all for us. He was so good, but his achilles gave out. Jermaine and Sheed were underwhelming, but those were sensible risks. The point is everything about the C's screams togetherness, freshness and the piling up of wins and future draft picks.

Maybe Zizic will shut us up. Maybe we shall see what Danny does over the summer.

Kick back and enjoy it. This is great.

It's just a game. I like to wait until my team actually sucks and chokes before I go off the rails. And I did that last three game losing streak. The whiners almost drew me into their sickness. But I was cured. Wins piled up.

If we do well in the playoffs, that's good. If we choke, then we are only at the beginning of the run and then Danny might feel some extra pressure.

He tends to be lucky. I bet Olynyk, Zizic and Horford get it done to go with a mysterious future big. That's my guess for that problem.

I would have rolled the dice for Noel. He's no headache like Cousins. He's from the area. It didn't happen. Danny must be thinking let's keep the cap space open. But no, some people want him to sell the shop for diva hotheads or for non-centers, which is what we are desperate for. Zeller is awful. I guess we all agree on that. Oh, he is serviceable. Whatever. They will obviously resign Olynyk as they love the way he plays. It fits. Horford is a little buyer's remorse because he kind of slows us, but he's not that bad. He had a week off to refresh.

If it's Zeller, it's Zeller for just one more half year. Zizic seems to definitely be on his way. He'll get 15 minutes a game, maybe more if he's ready and gets into the flow.

Nader might make it. The Maine team plays the same style as the C's, so he'd have no trouble fitting in.

It's all interesting. The future is certain to be fun.

This is the best part of the year. No one expects us to win it all, so we will chew fingernails for a series or three. There's always the chance we win it all, but realism says please at least show we are #2 ahead of Toronto and Washington.

If we are not sniffing the title by next year or the one after, something went wrong like injuries, and they do happen. Otherwise I am sniffing a title right now this year. A top five team deserves to be credited with a puncher's chance. That's what we are. This game against Toronto should be  very good. It's right back to it with a barometer game. I hope we're not too rusty. We should be angry and hungry after getting ripped off by the refs in the last loss.

Cousins wasn't an outrageous wish, but it was too risky. Maybe just stop speculating on trades. What a waste of time.

We're not going to lock things because of healthy disagreement.  Everyone doesn't have to be on the same page.

And if you see stuff that does cross the line, report it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
yeah. if they get a true superstar player. not an all-star, a superstar.

and between picks, assets, young talent, great contracts, a smart / crafty GM, and a well liked coach... they're better positioned that any other team in the league (who doesn't have one) to do so, and still have enough to surround that player with a champ caliber team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Aside from Golden State, I don't think any team in the league has as good of a future as we do. LeBron will gradually begin to decline, and the Cavs have zero assets to improve that team to the extent that it can still contend without LeBron at his peak. And with the talent we currently have and the assets at our disposal, Ainge has the ability to put together a roster that's better than the Cavs even before LeBron begins to decline. If we don't at least make it to the NBA Finals - if not win it - in the next 6 years, I'll consider what Ainge is doing to have backfired. But as long as he hits on the picks he uses at the top of the draft, doesn't make any bad trades and we don't have any awful luck health wise, I don't see how we aren't realistic contenders for #18 in the next 6 years, if not much sooner than that. Between now and the end of the 2026-27 season (just over ten years from now), I'd be disappointed if we haven't won #18 and #19.

Just remember when Lebron is gone that city and that franchise will go back to being the black hole in satan's armpit they always were. Good for them to win last year but that old stench of crappy Cleveland will begin to rear its ugly head again in another 3-4 years. It will be bad.  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)