Author Topic: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?  (Read 5137 times)

Re: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I love the way Isaiah is our 'so-called' or 'superstar' in scare quotes. This guy could win us six championships, cure AIDs, bring world peace and he'd still be a 'so-called' superstar to some of you clowns.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Not until they get what Ainge calls "his biggest need" --a rebounder/rim protector.

The Noel/Bogut situation was especially notable. It almost looked like Philly was avoiding Ainge.
Maybe Dallas was too. If Ainge wanted Bogut, he sure got finessed. With a buyout, he'll wind up with the Cavs or Warriors. Noel was traded out of the East for 50 cents on the dollar.

I'm quite happy with not acquiring Butler. He was going to be more of what we already have. George would have helped, but not at the huge price Indy was asking. I simply don't want to trade away Smart, Avery, IT or Crowder - I think they are championship-contributing type players - maybe in different roles than the present team makeup, but heart and chemistry count for a lot. Just keep building - we will get there soon enough.

I do understand that we need more talent to win a title - this group just has to work too hard to win games. A championship caliber team needs enough firepower to win some games with ease. But we aren't winning a title this year anyway - I am much more focused on the next 10 years than right now. I would say we are very well positioned to be a top contender within 3 years and for a long time after that.

My big question - Maybe Philly would never help us, but I was very surprised Noel went for so little. He would have been a young player who definitely filled a need.  Did we pursue him at all ? Philly just gave him away.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:50:07 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I love the way Isaiah is our 'so-called' or 'superstar' in scare quotes. This guy could win us six championships, cure AIDs, bring world peace and he'd still be a 'so-called' superstar to some of you clowns.
hes made 2 all star games(started none), led the East in scoring for a half season and been the leader of a good team that has neither won a playoff game or even had home-court advantage in one.

on top of all this, he is clearly not a top 5 player.

Thomas might be a superstar, but theres no real definition of a superstar its like the whole is so and so an "Elite" quarterback. Its dumb.

Isaiah fails to meet the criteria for plenty of reasonable definitions of superstar.

Ive called him a star and a superstar on different occasions, but ultimately the term doesnt matter and putting quotes around it isnt ridiculous or insulting.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I don't see it in the next 10 years to be honest

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Who do you see it for in the next 10 years?

I count 2 teams with better odds than us. Maybe 3, but honestly I think the Spurs are a regular season team this year and they are only getting worse.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 12:44:06 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I count 2 teams with better odds than us. Maybe 3, but honestly I think the Spurs are a regular season team this year and they are only getting worse.

Warriors, Cavaliers, Spurs. Maybe once with Toronto, Houston, and Pelicans. If the Lakers make some noise, don't count them out

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 01:53:56 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Warriors, Cavaliers, Spurs. Maybe once with Toronto, Houston, and Pelicans. If the Lakers make some noise, don't count them out
You believe Toronto's got a better shot than us?

You think Houston has a better shot with Golden State in front of them?

LA based on Brandon Ingram Deangelo Russell and a zip code?

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 01:54:35 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Aside from Golden State, I don't think any team in the league has as good of a future as we do. LeBron will gradually begin to decline, and the Cavs have zero assets to improve that team to the extent that it can still contend without LeBron at his peak. And with the talent we currently have and the assets at our disposal, Ainge has the ability to put together a roster that's better than the Cavs even before LeBron begins to decline. If we don't at least make it to the NBA Finals - if not win it - in the next 6 years, I'll consider what Ainge is doing to have backfired. But as long as he hits on the picks he uses at the top of the draft, doesn't make any bad trades and we don't have any awful luck health wise, I don't see how we aren't realistic contenders for #18 in the next 6 years, if not much sooner than that. Between now and the end of the 2026-27 season (just over ten years from now), I'd be disappointed if we haven't won #18 and #19.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 05:20:58 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Can the moderators lock this thread? I am not paid by the Celtics to promote them, but most of this blog has recently turned into irrational mush. A guy says Danny can go to hell. There are a lot of weird comments lately.

I've been saying for months that trade speculation is stupid. I was proven correct, just as I was also right the Celtics are a top team despite the first twenty five games of injuries.

There are all these forum rules. Don't call people trolls. Don't cause trouble. It's a joke. What an embarrassing week of posts at the biggest Celtics forum. That's why a lot of us are here, because it gets the traffic. We are the ones getting frustrated because Celtics Blog must love "Celtics fans" telling Danny to go hell or that we won't sniff the Finals for another fifty years. This is ridiculous. Roy was going after Brad Stevens for not getting him Boogie Cousins. And everyone is afraid to confront such nonsense because he runs the place.

They whine for players where the positions are already filled. At least Cousins made sense in that respect. But Butler, Hayward, George, Blake Griffin? Come on. We might get the #1 and would have to have bad luck to not at least get the 2nd or 3rd pick. It's going to be near impossible to miss on those by trading or developing.

The whiners don't understand the financial part of it. They went on a collective tribal rant. It was more alienating than reading the randomness of an ESPN comment section. There was no value to this blog for the whole week off. Hopefully once the games start back up, this nonsense will be put to bed. Some want us to get pounded tonight. This place was a headache. Maybe it's good for Celtics Blog. Traffic is traffic. But stupid is also stupid.

But it was an eye opener and I'm sure some good people have quit or are thinking about it.

Maybe watch and get into the games more, follow the guys developing as individuals within the team concept. Then whatever Danny does, it will be a surprise. You can then have the knowledge to see what he is up to, whether it can work. As a "community" we are obviously ahead of Danny in regards to centers and bigs. But that's his blind spot, although he did once have Perk, KG and PJ for centers. Shaq almost won it all for us. He was so good, but his achilles gave out. Jermaine and Sheed were underwhelming, but those were sensible risks. The point is everything about the C's screams togetherness, freshness and the piling up of wins and future draft picks.

Maybe Zizic will shut us up. Maybe we shall see what Danny does over the summer.

Kick back and enjoy it. This is great.

It's just a game. I like to wait until my team actually sucks and chokes before I go off the rails. And I did that last three game losing streak. The whiners almost drew me into their sickness. But I was cured. Wins piled up.

If we do well in the playoffs, that's good. If we choke, then we are only at the beginning of the run and then Danny might feel some extra pressure.

He tends to be lucky. I bet Olynyk, Zizic and Horford get it done to go with a mysterious future big. That's my guess for that problem.

I would have rolled the dice for Noel. He's no headache like Cousins. He's from the area. It didn't happen. Danny must be thinking let's keep the cap space open. But no, some people want him to sell the shop for diva hotheads or for non-centers, which is what we are desperate for. Zeller is awful. I guess we all agree on that. Oh, he is serviceable. Whatever. They will obviously resign Olynyk as they love the way he plays. It fits. Horford is a little buyer's remorse because he kind of slows us, but he's not that bad. He had a week off to refresh.

If it's Zeller, it's Zeller for just one more half year. Zizic seems to definitely be on his way. He'll get 15 minutes a game, maybe more if he's ready and gets into the flow.

Nader might make it. The Maine team plays the same style as the C's, so he'd have no trouble fitting in.

It's all interesting. The future is certain to be fun.

This is the best part of the year. No one expects us to win it all, so we will chew fingernails for a series or three. There's always the chance we win it all, but realism says please at least show we are #2 ahead of Toronto and Washington.

If we are not sniffing the title by next year or the one after, something went wrong like injuries, and they do happen. Otherwise I am sniffing a title right now this year. A top five team deserves to be credited with a puncher's chance. That's what we are. This game against Toronto should be  very good. It's right back to it with a barometer game. I hope we're not too rusty. We should be angry and hungry after getting ripped off by the refs in the last loss.

Cousins wasn't an outrageous wish, but it was too risky. Maybe just stop speculating on trades. What a waste of time.

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Offline clintonwalker

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
And by sniff, I mean get to the championship series and make it close (win it or lose in 6/7 games)!
Judging by the current state of the team I give it a definite no way!  Too many current teams (Cavs,Warriors, Spurs, Clippers) way better than us, and at least a couple more teams up and coming big time for the future (Pelicans, Sixers) and in better position than us!  Too many teams with 2/3 legitimate superstars, compared to our IT(arguably superstar) and Al Horford(our second best player, but by no means a superstar)!
Granted so many things can change in 5/6 years, but I'm not optimistic about the path we're headed on, and Danny did absolutely nothing to dispel that this week!  OVERVALUED ASSETS!
. I disagree with everything you said just about. I don't have much nice to say about your personal character so I'm just gonna leave.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I'm sniffing it right now!  Go C's!

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Me too.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The answer comes after this summer.

If Ainge drafts guards and there are no free agent signings, the answer is an unequivocal no.

If he signs Hayward and we get the #1 pick, the answer is probably different.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

You're sniffing your upper lip. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If the big summer plan of signing a max FA and putting everything on the table for Butler or George works, then yes.

If it doesn't, 5~6 years is probably right about when we'll start getting close based on a new core of Smart/Brown/Fultz?/Doncic?.

Great words from a great man