Author Topic: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?  (Read 5130 times)

Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
And by sniff, I mean get to the championship series and make it close (win it or lose in 6/7 games)!
Judging by the current state of the team I give it a definite no way!  Too many current teams (Cavs,Warriors, Spurs, Clippers) way better than us, and at least a couple more teams up and coming big time for the future (Pelicans, Sixers) and in better position than us!  Too many teams with 2/3 legitimate superstars, compared to our IT(arguably superstar) and Al Horford(our second best player, but by no means a superstar)!
Granted so many things can change in 5/6 years, but I'm not optimistic about the path we're headed on, and Danny did absolutely nothing to dispel that this week!  OVERVALUED ASSETS!

Re: Do Celtics even sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
And by sniff, I mean get to the championship series and make it close (win it or lose in 6/7 games)!
Judging by the current state of the team I give it a definite no way!  Too many current teams (Cavs,Warriors, Spurs, Clippers) way better than us, and at least a couple more teams up and coming big time for the future (Pelicans, Sixers) and in better position than us!  Too many teams with 2/3 legitimate superstars, compared to our IT(arguably superstar) and Al Horford(our second best player, but by no means a superstar)!
Granted so many things can change in 5/6 years, but I'm not optimistic about the path we're headed on, and Danny did absolutely nothing to dispel that this week!  OVERVALUED ASSETS!

You had me until "Sixers".
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Meh I am a lot less worried about the 76ers than I was 4 months ago. There mishandling of the Bigs rotation and injury timelines forced them to trade Noel for two peanuts and a tier 5 prospect while Okafor has no value and does not fit with Embid. That is basically wasting 2 out of 4 years of the tank. While it is cool their 2019 Kings pick look good, by the time that player is ready to contribute seriously do a championship team it will be 2022 and Thomas will be old and Horford retired.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

How is a number one pick in a very good draft an overvalued asset?

You are melting after an uneventful deadline. There was nothing out there that would have changed the fact that Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Lebron James are the 3 best players on the court in an Eastern Conference playoffs series for any team. Whats the point of burning draft selections for expiring guys just to give the fans fake hope for a playoff push?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
You do realize that we could make the ECF this year, with a raw Jaylen Brown, potentially the #1 pick in the draft (that we still could flip for a vet star), cap room, and another potential high pick in the 2018 draft.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset. We still might get that vet star this summer or we might learn why it would have been a huge mistake to trade the pick.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown

You are melting after an uneventful deadline. There was nothing out there that would have changed the fact that Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, and Lebron James are the 3 best players on the court in an Eastern Conference playoffs series for any team. Whats the point of burning draft selections for expiring guys just to give the fans fake hope for a playoff push?

When your current "superstar" plays the same position as the top two players in the upcoming draft!  Add to your current best player, don't replace him, especially when he's going to demand a max contract when this one expires!  Would much rather have traded the 2017 pick with players to get another star, and keep the 2018 pick when there are some top rated bigs available.
Either way, however, more of a worry than the Cavs, are the Warriors, who if staying intact, will be probable champs for the next 4 or 5 years.  Too good, too young!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Anything can happen and it is no lock that we make a finals, but we are positioned better than anyone outside of Cleveland and Golden State for success in the next 5 years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
*If* we don't sniff #18 in the next 5/6 years, that will likely be because we didn't trade away any of our major future assets.  In which case, we will probably be a really really good, title-contending team right around 5-6 years from now.

I think next year has potential to be a great year for the Celtics with basically the same key roster pieces under contract that we have this current season and most of our players are young still having room for growth, plus an elite 2017 pick coming in, plus perhaps a nice FA signing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

When your current "superstar" plays the same position as the top two players in the upcoming draft!  Add to your current best player, don't replace him, especially when he's going to demand a max contract when this one expires!  Would much rather have traded the 2017 pick with players to get another star, and keep the 2018 pick when there are some top rated bigs available.
Either way, however, more of a worry than the Cavs, are the Warriors, who if staying intact, will be probable champs for the next 4 or 5 years.  Too good, too young!
Fultz and Ball are both big enough to defend 2s and all three players(Ball Fultz Thomas) look like they can be good off the ball. Plus Stevens loves guys who can pass, so I really dont see why you couldnt start them together.

as far as overvalued assets, the Brooklyn Nets '17 swap was the single greatest draft pick available at the deadline probably in NBA history.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
You do realize that we could make the ECF this year, with a raw Jaylen Brown, potentially the #1 pick in the draft (that we still could flip for a vet star), cap room, and another potential high pick in the 2018 draft.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset. We still might get that vet star this summer or we might learn why it would have been a huge mistake to trade the pick.

Might have agreed with you before today.  No chance now.  Cavs, Raptors, and Wiz all better in 7 games now!  Our team has guts and scrap, but WAY TOO SMALL, and shut down Isaiah, and we're toast!
IMO most stars looking for new team in summer will look to teams with better chances to be real contenders for title, either now or in future.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown

You had me until "Sixers".
I would answer that with a simple question.  Ask any GM in the league today who they'd rather have: Embid or IT and Al Horford?  Any that say IT and AH?  Didn't think so!

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Might have agreed with you before today.  No chance now.  Cavs, Raptors, and Wiz all better in 7 games now!  Our team has guts and scrap, but WAY TOO SMALL, and shut down Isaiah, and we're toast!
IMO most stars looking for new team in summer will look to teams with better chances to be real contenders for title, either now or in future.
holdup.

The acquisitions of PJ Tucker and Bojan Bogdanovich make us "toast" against the Raptors and Wizards.

You are emotionally overreacting. It happens.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

And yet Philly had Noel on the roster which they traded their all star point guard for, and decided to take Joel Embiid in the draft in exactly the same position as Noel plays. How'd that work out for them?

You take the best player available, give yourself a glut of talent, then worry about team balance later. That is the essence of a rebuild. The fact that we have a fantastic coach, culture, and have acquired great players for no cost is by the by.

We are second in the conference, have the number 1 pick in the lottery, and people are still finding a way to p--- and moan about this management group.

Unbelievable.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

And yet Philly had Noel on the roster which they traded their all star point guard for, and decided to take Joel Embiid in the draft in exactly the same position as Noel plays. How'd that work out for them?

You take the best player available, give yourself a glut of talent, then worry about team balance later. That is the essence of a rebuild. The fact that we have a fantastic coach, culture, and have acquired great players for no cost is by the by.

We are second in the conference, have the number 1 pick in the lottery, and people are still finding a way to p--- and moan about this management group.

Unbelievable.
not to mention that you've clawed your way to second despite battling more injuries than almost any other strong EC team. Toronto, Washington and Cleveland have been FAR healthier.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I understand why they're upset. It's because they're immature kids who think that immediate gratification is the only type. They're thinking of only one season whereas Danny (and others of us) are thinking of many.

In 2007 Danny embarked on a high-risk, short-term, win-now strategy and it worked. It actually worked longer than he thought it would. It was brilliant and the Celtics won a championship (and should have won 2 if the refs didn't give game 7 to the Lakers). Now some people think that's the only way to win. They don't understand that this is a different game. The pieces aren't the same and so the game doesn't get played the same way. But they don't understand that. They think one winning formula is the ONLY winning formula.

As I posted on another thread, this sounds suspiciously like draft night. How much whining and moaning was there then? Now most of CB - all but the moaners who enjoy losing and who aren't respected - is excited about Brown, Zizic and (to a lesser extent) Yabu. Yet on draft night you could scarcely find a defender of those picks. Here we are again.

Danny's smart enough to know that a "win now" scenario is exceptionally high risk. There are already two historically dominant teams in Cleveland and Golden State. We could throw all the picks away to challenge them and still never make it out of the ECF. Or we can smartly play the waiting game knowing that we've got the cards to stay in the game a long time. It's the right thing to do right now and that's why a deal hasn't gotten done.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.