Author Topic: Terrence Jones (Merged)  (Read 11962 times)

Re: Terrence Jones (Merged)
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:55 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Go ahead. Sign Jones. He's a Julius randle type player that could help us in the playoffs. He'd fit like a glove in Boston.

But I don't want Bogut's racist a$$ anywhere near our team. I've seen stuff on ESPN about how he follows some white nationalist twitter accounts and has tweeted some bad stuff. That'd really ruin the locker room and would send a bad message to the players from Danny. I feel like it's overlooked but this is IMHO really something to take into consideration.

Have you researched this at all before labeling the guy a racist?

If he was a locker room problem, don't you think we'd have heard about it before now?
I've read online that many players around the league acknowledge him as a racist and I have checked his twitter and the accounts he follows and retweets. I'd just say someone who's not a racist would probably not follow some of those accounts and have a reputation in all likelihood, but after seeing how well this team works off of chemistry I would be hesitant to bring him in. Even if all of the claims I've read are false I still would be hesitant to bring in a guy involved in such a controversy, especially given Boston's history.

Did you read the ESPN article about this?  What do you know about Boston's history?  Did you know that we were the FIRST NBA team to have an African-American player?  Did you know that the Boston Celtics were the first team in the NBA to start an all African-American starting line-up?  Did you know that when Bill Russell was playing for us, many hotels refused to allow him to stay at their hotel, so the ENTIRE team refused to stay there in support of Bill??  Red NEVER EVER saw color, only basketball talent in regard to winning team basketball!!!

Please fill me in on the HISTORY that you are referring to!!

Smitty77

I believe he said Boston's history,  every rebuttal you made is about Celtic history. You guys really need to get on the same page so you are not talking past each other.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2017, 12:55:39 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it sounds like many in the know believe we won't even try to get any of the buyout candidates like Bogut or Jones because Danny likes the "chemistry" of our current bunch and wouldn't want to upset anything by cutting one of the younger players like Mickey, who barely even plays. Forsberg had an article on this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4725358/can-the-celtics-avoid-the-temptation-of-the-buyout-scrapheap-again?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

One of the side effects of the Boston Celtics' inactivity at the trade deadline and Friday's disheartening loss to the beefed-up Toronto Raptors is that there will be increased speculation as to whether Boston should seek additional help by means of the buyout scrap heap.

The Celtics, underwhelmed by the contributions of post-deadline signings during much of their most recent Big Three era, have stayed away from the free-agent bargain bin during Brad Stevens' tenure as coach. They have often preferred to sign future-minded D-Leaguers when roster spots have been available.

After being unmoved to seek, as he dubbed it, "Band-Aid" talent to shore up some of Boston's more glaring weaknesses (cough, rebounding) at the trade deadline, will Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge be tempted by the bodies made available as teams firm up their rosters in the aftermath of the trade deadline?

Considering the overall patience the Celtics have shown throughout this building process, it seems likely that Ainge will resist. In the aftermath of Thursday's trade deadline, Ainge has repeatedly noted that the Celtics were uninterested in seeking role players who might be able to aid their rebounding woes if they might otherwise hurt the team's offense. That could also create chemistry issues through adding to a roster that has otherwise had no overhaul since training camp.

“Listen, when I was here and we had those runs [with Boston's Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen], I’m in the general manager’s office, and I had my coaches coming in and going, ‘We need this’ or ‘We heard [about] this guy, this veteran guy.’ So we went and did these buyouts every year to try to help our team, and rarely did those work," Ainge said this week during an appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich" program.

"It sounds good on paper. Everybody said, ‘They just added so-and-so to the team.' When, in fact, those players may take away minutes from a younger player that is better, change the chemistry and the roles of the players inside your organization."

As much as Sam Cassell and P.J. Brown might have aided Boston's 2008 title run, there was a long string of players who only muddled Boston's roster, such as Michael Finley, Troy Murphy and Carlos Arroyo.

The typical rule of the buyout scrap heap in recent seasons has been that the impact players gravitate toward surefire title contenders. There's a reason the next tier of players lingers in the scrap heap.

Ainge will be encouraged to avoid the buyout route if only because Boston is already at the 15-player maximum. Adding a body would come at the expense of cutting an end-of-the-roster player, something the team already struggled with when R.J. Hunter was cut at the end of training camp.

Most antsy Celtics fans would suggest that cutting bait with 2014 first-round pick James Young, 2015 second-round pick Jordan Mickey or 2016 second-round selection Demetrius Jackson would be perfectly fine if it meant adding a playoff-experienced big man, such as Andrew Bogut, or an intriguing yet risky forward, such as Terrence Jones.

But during Friday's radio appearance, Ainge pointed to the contributions of Young and Mickey while highlighting the chemistry and cohesion of this group.

"We have such a good chemistry with this team. We’ve had everybody contributing to winning," Ainge said. "We’ve had James Young playing the most fourth-quarter minutes [of his career] in the last four games we won on the road. We’ve had Jordan Mickey start in a win, and we’ve had [rookie] Jaylen Brown go 9-1 as a starter [during a stretch before the All-Star break]. There's so many good things and so many good vibes with these guys. Sometimes you bring in a player, and the players react like, 'Man, that’s not fair. That kid's been working hard. That kid’s earned his chance to play.' I think it goes both ways. Names on paper and past performances don’t always make for, like, a perfect fit with the team that they’re coming to, especially if they don’t fit our style."

The 21-year-old Young has contributed 0.4 win shares this season, despite playing only 166 minutes over 21 games. Young has recently elevated to a more consistent presence in recent games, at least while Avery Bradley and Brown have navigated injuries.

There is certainly a case to be made that someone such as Bogut -- or even old friend Jared Sullinger, who was waived by Phoenix after being traded there from Toronto -- could fill a need for the Celtics. But at what cost? Boston would have to cut a young player, eat salary while adding cost (even if just the pro-rated veteran minimum) and shake up rotations to maximize the new talent.

Recent history suggests that the risk might not be worth the reward. The Celtics, in staying idle at Thursday's deadline, essentially committed to this group while acknowledging that there is a long-term plan that means more than anything that occurs during the final couple months of the 2016-17 season.

The Celtics are absolutely a flawed team, but one that is talented enough, particularly when healthy, to still take a step forward this season. It seems fair to suggest that it will take more than a buyout addition to help the Celtics be competitive if they are fortunate enough to advance beyond the first round of the playoffs.

I swear, if Danny doesn't even attempt to try and help our bigs rotation with something as simple as picking up a Bogut or Jones for cheap just because he doesn't want to potentially upset "chemistry" by cutting an end of the bench guy who has no real future in the league, I'm about going to be at the last straw with him. At least give this team a puncher's chance at succeeding in the playoffs, which will only help us this summer in free agency, and don't freaking not upgrade our current team at the cost of an end of the bench player that realistically has no future in this league.

The fact that he used Mickey's one spot start in an injury-ridden time for us as evidence that we shouldn't attempt to cut him for an upgrade is beyond ridiculous and just another example of Danny overvaluing his assets.

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2017, 01:10:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it sounds like many in the know believe we won't even try to get any of the buyout candidates like Bogut or Jones because Danny likes the "chemistry" of our current bunch and wouldn't want to upset anything by cutting one of the younger players like Mickey, who barely even plays. Forsberg had an article on this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4725358/can-the-celtics-avoid-the-temptation-of-the-buyout-scrapheap-again?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

One of the side effects of the Boston Celtics' inactivity at the trade deadline and Friday's disheartening loss to the beefed-up Toronto Raptors is that there will be increased speculation as to whether Boston should seek additional help by means of the buyout scrap heap.

The Celtics, underwhelmed by the contributions of post-deadline signings during much of their most recent Big Three era, have stayed away from the free-agent bargain bin during Brad Stevens' tenure as coach. They have often preferred to sign future-minded D-Leaguers when roster spots have been available.

After being unmoved to seek, as he dubbed it, "Band-Aid" talent to shore up some of Boston's more glaring weaknesses (cough, rebounding) at the trade deadline, will Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge be tempted by the bodies made available as teams firm up their rosters in the aftermath of the trade deadline?

Considering the overall patience the Celtics have shown throughout this building process, it seems likely that Ainge will resist. In the aftermath of Thursday's trade deadline, Ainge has repeatedly noted that the Celtics were uninterested in seeking role players who might be able to aid their rebounding woes if they might otherwise hurt the team's offense. That could also create chemistry issues through adding to a roster that has otherwise had no overhaul since training camp.

“Listen, when I was here and we had those runs [with Boston's Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen], I’m in the general manager’s office, and I had my coaches coming in and going, ‘We need this’ or ‘We heard [about] this guy, this veteran guy.’ So we went and did these buyouts every year to try to help our team, and rarely did those work," Ainge said this week during an appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich" program.

"It sounds good on paper. Everybody said, ‘They just added so-and-so to the team.' When, in fact, those players may take away minutes from a younger player that is better, change the chemistry and the roles of the players inside your organization."

As much as Sam Cassell and P.J. Brown might have aided Boston's 2008 title run, there was a long string of players who only muddled Boston's roster, such as Michael Finley, Troy Murphy and Carlos Arroyo.

The typical rule of the buyout scrap heap in recent seasons has been that the impact players gravitate toward surefire title contenders. There's a reason the next tier of players lingers in the scrap heap.

Ainge will be encouraged to avoid the buyout route if only because Boston is already at the 15-player maximum. Adding a body would come at the expense of cutting an end-of-the-roster player, something the team already struggled with when R.J. Hunter was cut at the end of training camp.

Most antsy Celtics fans would suggest that cutting bait with 2014 first-round pick James Young, 2015 second-round pick Jordan Mickey or 2016 second-round selection Demetrius Jackson would be perfectly fine if it meant adding a playoff-experienced big man, such as Andrew Bogut, or an intriguing yet risky forward, such as Terrence Jones.

But during Friday's radio appearance, Ainge pointed to the contributions of Young and Mickey while highlighting the chemistry and cohesion of this group.

"We have such a good chemistry with this team. We’ve had everybody contributing to winning," Ainge said. "We’ve had James Young playing the most fourth-quarter minutes [of his career] in the last four games we won on the road. We’ve had Jordan Mickey start in a win, and we’ve had [rookie] Jaylen Brown go 9-1 as a starter [during a stretch before the All-Star break]. There's so many good things and so many good vibes with these guys. Sometimes you bring in a player, and the players react like, 'Man, that’s not fair. That kid's been working hard. That kid’s earned his chance to play.' I think it goes both ways. Names on paper and past performances don’t always make for, like, a perfect fit with the team that they’re coming to, especially if they don’t fit our style."

The 21-year-old Young has contributed 0.4 win shares this season, despite playing only 166 minutes over 21 games. Young has recently elevated to a more consistent presence in recent games, at least while Avery Bradley and Brown have navigated injuries.

There is certainly a case to be made that someone such as Bogut -- or even old friend Jared Sullinger, who was waived by Phoenix after being traded there from Toronto -- could fill a need for the Celtics. But at what cost? Boston would have to cut a young player, eat salary while adding cost (even if just the pro-rated veteran minimum) and shake up rotations to maximize the new talent.

Recent history suggests that the risk might not be worth the reward. The Celtics, in staying idle at Thursday's deadline, essentially committed to this group while acknowledging that there is a long-term plan that means more than anything that occurs during the final couple months of the 2016-17 season.

The Celtics are absolutely a flawed team, but one that is talented enough, particularly when healthy, to still take a step forward this season. It seems fair to suggest that it will take more than a buyout addition to help the Celtics be competitive if they are fortunate enough to advance beyond the first round of the playoffs.

I swear, if Danny doesn't even attempt to try and help our bigs rotation with something as simple as picking up a Bogut or Jones for cheap just because he doesn't want to potentially upset "chemistry" by cutting an end of the bench guy who has no real future in the league, I'm about going to be at the last straw with him. At least give this team a puncher's chance at succeeding in the playoffs, which will only help us this summer in free agency, and don't freaking not upgrade our current team at the cost of an end of the bench player that realistically has no future in this league.

The fact that he used Mickey's one spot start in an injury-ridden time for us as evidence that we shouldn't attempt to cut him for an upgrade is beyond ridiculous and just another example of Danny overvaluing his assets.

My main issue with this mindset is that Andrew Bogut and Terrence Jones are way more impactful players than our former buyout guys that the article mentions.

Jones is an about to enter his prime forward already putting up solid production for a playoff contender and Andrew Bogut is 2 years removed from being a key piece in the starting lineup of a NBA championship roster.

We're not talking about the corpse of Michael Finley, Israeli league legend Carlos Aroyo, or 2 left feet Troy Murphy. If Danny doesn't want to bring Bogut or Jones in that's his prerogative but don't act like the players available this year are comparable to the scrap heap pickups of the Doc Rivers era.

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Go ahead. Sign Jones. He's a Julius randle type player that could help us in the playoffs. He'd fit like a glove in Boston.

But I don't want Bogut's racist a$$ anywhere near our team. I've seen stuff on ESPN about how he follows some white nationalist twitter accounts and has tweeted some bad stuff. That'd really ruin the locker room and would send a bad message to the players from Danny. I feel like it's overlooked but this is IMHO really something to take into consideration.

If he was a locker room problem, don't you think we'd have heard about it before now?
I've read online that many players around the league acknowledge him as a racist and I have checked his twitter and the accounts he follows and retweets. I'd just say someone who's not a racist would probably not follow some of those accounts and have a reputation in all likelihood, but after seeing how well this team works off of chemistry I would be hesitant to bring him in. Even if all of the claims I've read are false I still would be hesitant to bring in a guy involved in such a controversy, especially given Boston's history.

Did you read the ESPN article about this?  What do you know about Boston's history?  Did you know that we were the FIRST NBA team to have an African-American player?  Did you know that the Boston Celtics were the first team in the NBA to start an all African-American starting line-up?  Did you know that when Bill Russell was playing for us, many hotels refused to allow him to stay at their hotel, so the ENTIRE team refused to stay there in support of Bill??  Red NEVER EVER saw color, only basketball talent in regard to winning team basketball!!!

Smitty77

I believe he said Boston's history,  every rebuttal you made is about Celtic history. You guys really need to get on the same page so you are not talking past each other.
Thank you. Smitty- I am aware the team has historically been very fair and has broken barriers. I am aware that the organization has done some great things over the years to prevent racism. I was referring to the fans, who have not exactly had the best track record. Ask Bill Russel. I'm sorry for the confusion, I would never question Red's fairness or the good actions of Celtics teams in the past.

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2017, 03:11:49 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

All of that being said, there are reports that we've had discussions with Bogut's agent, along with the Cavs, Spurs, Rockets, and Jazz.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245113/Cavs-Spurs-Rockets-Celtics-Jazz-Interested-In-Andrew-Bogut

I think we have a decent shot of landing him. He's not purely ring-chasing at this point, and he wants to actually get some decent playing time to showcase what he still has for his next (and final) contract. We might also be interested in keeping him this summer as a backup big, too, so I think there's plenty of reason for him to join the C's over a team that has a better shot of winning it all.

But hopefully we'll jump on Jones if Bogut goes elsewhere.

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2017, 03:18:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I love Jones.

I just feel bad when players with so much potential are kept in really bad franchises. There's nothing more dreadful than witnessing a young, but skilled player lose all shred of potential by wasting in a toxic or morbid environment.

Stevens is like a conductor. Whenever he orchestrates on the court, with his X and O's, and I firmly believe he could turn someone like Jones, into a 360 and have putting career numbers, and maybe a player of the week.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2017, 03:34:38 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I love Jones.

I just feel bad when players with so much potential are kept in really bad franchises. There's nothing more dreadful than witnessing a young, but skilled player lose all shred of potential by wasting in a toxic or morbid environment.

Stevens is like a conductor. Whenever he orchestrates on the court, with his X and O's, and I firmly believe he could turn someone like Jones, into a 360 and have putting career numbers, and maybe a player of the week.

He does seem to have Evan Turner like turnaround potential for here in Boston. He would be the type of stretch 4 that we've really been looking for, too.

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Smitty77

Thank you. Smitty- I am aware the team has historically been very fair and has broken barriers. I am aware that the organization has done some great things over the years to prevent racism. I was referring to the fans, who have not exactly had the best track record. Ask Bill Russel. I'm sorry for the confusion, I would never question Red's fairness or the good actions of Celtics teams in the past.

Boston does have some bad fans and residents, as do many cities.  What I tire of are people that make or attempt to make everything into racial issues when they are not.  Some made the Super Bowl a white team vs. black team match up which made me want to cry and scream at the same time!!!!  And we wonder WHY we are seemingly going backwards rather than moving forward!!

If you have not read Bill Russell's autobiography, I would highly suggest it to you and ANYONE else on this board.  Very succinct and well-written and VERY thought-provoking!!!  Well done Mr. Russell!!!!  What a personal hero he is to me!!!!

Take care,

Smitty77

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I love Jones.

We could use a backup 360 ;)

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I love Jones.

is monkhouse proposing that jones will turn around 360 degrees in his game?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I love Jones.

is monkhouse proposing that jones will turn around 360 degrees in his game?  ;D

I think there is a real misunderstanding regarding Jones NEEDING to turn around his career!!!

Here are his PER's since joining the league starting with is first to his last:

Now remember that he was DRAFTED with the 18th pick.  I would say that those are VERY SOLID numbers for the 18th pick.  We would be ECSTATIC IF Young put up such PER's!!!!!

Yes, Jones had a POOR year by HIS standards last year!!!!  But that looks to be the OUTLIER to me, not the reverse.

If we can sign him and release Jax or Mickey, this should be the biggest NO BRAINER for Danny this year!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Jones has talent, but that guy is a blackhole offensively. He's allergic to passing, which makes me question the fit in our motion offense.

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2017, 11:05:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Terrence Jones would be a boon. This guy is totally underrated.
- LilRip