Author Topic: Did Sixers offer Noel for Bradley?  (Read 4577 times)

Re: Did Sixers offer Noel for Bradley?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 02:45:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ainge was in a tough position on Noel. For one Bradley is a goner. That's pretty clear. No cap room for him. Maybe no cap room for Noel either, if he becomes available as a FA.

You could say Bradley for Noel makes sense short term. But Ainge is a strange guy. You don't know what's in his head. Maybe he knew buyouts would be available today--guys he might target short range.

The one thing I've heard in the media I find disconcerting is they don't want a defensive rebounding type up front because it detracts from the offense. Quite the contrary, I think. Bill Russell, anybody?
The game has changed and Russell would be nowhere near as effective in today's game.  You absolutely must defend the 3 point line 1st and foremost in today's game or you are just dead in the water against the elite teams.

Bradley needs to go to a team that has an offense run through a point forward like Milwaukee or potentially Phil. with Simmons.  He can then defend point guards and spot up on offense.  The C's at the trade deadline may very well have been hampered greatly by Bradley being injured.

Couple things:

1. Trying to compare players from different eras is largely a fool's errand (especially 50s/60s v. today).  That being said, I'm still going to do it. I think Bill Russell would still be amazing today.  His skill set would translate extremely well. He'd protect the rim, get steals, and switch onto everybody.  He'd be a combo of DeAndre Jordan, Draymond, and Kawhi on defense.

2. A guy that rebounds and does nothing else is not particularly helpful.  This is especially true if he's a poor pick and roll defender and/or a poor rim protector and can't space the floor on offense.  You are talking a net negative player at that point.
If Bill Russell played today he would be insane on D (protects th rim, swarms guards in switches and plays great help D while still being able to go back to his man) and I would bet he can shoot better (he would be shooting ~70% on FTs and have an ok midrange shot) because of better drills, form and know how on developing reliable shooting. He doesn't have bad touch either so that's a plus
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA