Author Topic: Buyout: Bogut and Terrence Jones are two players Boston could look to add ..  (Read 22991 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
https://twitter.com/stevekylernba/status/835120946184871936

Kyler says Jones interested in Cetics.

Has Jones been bought out already? If not, when will he be? How long after that can he sign with another team?
Thanks

It was reported last night that New Orleans released him.  He then has to clear waivers, which he remains on for 48 hours.  Any team can claim him.  If multiple teams claim him, he will be awarded to the team with the worst record that placed a claim.  If he is unclaimed after 48 hours, he will be a free agent.

If the Celtics want him, they should just put in a waiver claim instead of letting him hit free agency.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Has Jones been bought out already? If not, when will he be? How long after that can he sign with another team?
Thanks

It was reported last night that New Orleans released him.  He then has to clear waivers, which he remains on for 48 hours.  Any team can claim him.  If multiple teams claim him, he will be awarded to the team with the worst record that placed a claim.  If he is unclaimed after 48 hours, he will be a free agent.

If the Celtics want him, they should just put in a waiver claim instead of letting him hit free agency.

Does putting in a claim for him have an impact on our cap situation for next summer? I know he will be a FA, but do we have a cap hold for him that would have to be renounced, or is that only for overseas (aka draft and stashes anywhere) and RFA players?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:56:45 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Thanks

Does putting in a claim for him have an impact on our cap situation for next summer? Like I know he will be a FA, but do we have a cap hold for him that would have to be renounced, or is that only for overseas and RFA players?

Cap holds can be renounced for all players, so he wouldn't have an affect on our cap next year
I'm bitter.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Thanks

Does putting in a claim for him have an impact on our cap situation for next summer? Like I know he will be a FA, but do we have a cap hold for him that would have to be renounced, or is that only for overseas and RFA players?

I always loved Terrance Jones, not the "best player" but I absolutely LOVE his hustle plays. Maybe a small upgrade over Zeller, maybe Amir depends on your argument. To me he's more or less of a Tristan Thompson. A hustle rebounding guy, but probably a whole lot cheaper

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks

Cap holds can be renounced for all players, so he wouldn't have an affect on our cap next year

Ah I see. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to keeping his tiny cap hold, and resigning him possibly after we used our cap space. If that was an option, I was curious how a cap hold would effect it.
#JKJB

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Thanks

Ah I see. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to keeping his tiny cap hold, and resigning him possibly after we used our cap space. If that was an option, I was curious how a cap hold would effect it.

We would only have non-Bird rights, which aren't that great for minimum salary players.  Essentially his cap hold and what we could sign him for using those rights are identical, so there'd be nothing to gain by that strategy.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
So does anyone have the times when the 48 hours are over making these guys free agents? I want to know what's left after Cleveland and Golden State take what they want and what it leaves all the rest of us to fight over.

• Jim Loscutoff
So does anyone have the times when the 48 hours are over making these guys free agents? I want to know what's left after Cleveland and Golden State take what they want and what it leaves all the rest of us to fight over.

Thats why putting in a claim works. GS and Cleveland pick last (well near the bottom). If we want one we have a better shot than them of snagging him off waivers.
#JKJB

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks

We would only have non-Bird rights, which aren't that great for minimum salary players.  Essentially his cap hold and what we could sign him for using those rights are identical, so there'd be nothing to gain by that strategy.

Thank you, that makes alot of sense. Knowing all of this I would still saying he would be worth a look. He fits pretty well with what this team needs, and there doesnt seem to be a downside other than burning Mickey or young, which will happen this summer anyway
#JKJB

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
So if you claim him do you pay his salary?    OR is there a set amount for waived players?   

If you claim him and you have to pay that salary, do you need cap room? 
Diggles

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So if you claim him do you pay his salary?    OR is there a set amount for waived players?   

If you claim him and you have to pay that salary, do you need cap room?

In the case of Jones, because he is making the minimum salary, any team can claim him via the minimum salary rule.  If you claim him, you only pay what he's owed for the rest of the season, but the entire amount of his cap hit goes into your cap space, if you have any left, and counts towards the luxury tax if you have to pay it.  So a team like Cleveland would have an extra $980k count towards the tax, making them pay about an extra $2.5 million in tax dollars.  If he were to clear waivers, Cleveland (should they be interested) would only count what he's owed for the rest of the season, and only about $300k would count, easing their tax bill by about $750k.  This is what they hope they will be able to do with Bogut and Deron.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I guess this means when Terrence Jones comes here...

Mickey is getting cut. Not Young.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Adding t jones is a no brainer. 

we HAVE to be able to cut a guard for him.   

C'mon Dan.   

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Terrence Jones would be an amazing addition to this team. Hope it happens. He was a perfect trade candidate and we wont even have to give up anything to get him.

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Bogut opportunity?

Philadelphia general manager Bryan Colangelo indicated to reporters yesterday that he will probably buy out Andrew Bogut’s contract soon, giving the 32-year-old center a chance to sign with the Celtics.

Though he reportedly has interest from his former Golden State team as well as Cleveland, the C’s are expected to make a strong push. Bogut would help them in two of their weakest areas — rebounding and rim protection.

The deadline for players to be on a team’s roster and eligible for the playoffs is Wednesday. At that point, the Celtics expect to have just enough space under the cap to sign Bogut to a minimum-type deal.