Author Topic: Buyout: Bogut and Terrence Jones are two players Boston could look to add ..  (Read 23019 times)

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Question is, if Jones is added - who is released?  Young or Mickey??
That's a tough one.
Same position as Mickey - who is on a very good contract Or Young who actually played well lately.

But we can for use use Jones!

Can't we release Zeller? I thought his dumb contract was supposed to be used as trade chip for salary matching in a big deal. I don't see why we need him or his contract now.

His contract is nonguaranteed for next season, which means that it can be used in trades this offseason (if we don't decline to pick up the guarantee to sign a max FA). Releasing him now would remove that possibility.

But even if that wasn't the case, I would rather keep him and cut Mickey.  Zeller can provide some decent rebounding (best TRB% on the team), while still being okay on offense.  For spot minutes, I'd take him over Mickey any day

Not true anymore. The new CBA bit us in the ass there. Zeller, Amir and JJ will be FA who can't be traded.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
That's a tough one.
Same position as Mickey - who is on a very good contract Or Young who actually played well lately.

Can't we release Zeller? I thought his dumb contract was supposed to be used as trade chip for salary matching in a big deal. I don't see why we need him or his contract now.

His contract is nonguaranteed for next season, which means that it can be used in trades this offseason (if we don't decline to pick up the guarantee to sign a max FA). Releasing him now would remove that possibility.

But even if that wasn't the case, I would rather keep him and cut Mickey.  Zeller can provide some decent rebounding (best TRB% on the team), while still being okay on offense.  For spot minutes, I'd take him over Mickey any day

Not true anymore. The new CBA bit us in the ass there. Zeller, Amir and JJ will be FA who can't be traded.

From what I've heard, the new rule (nonguaranteed salary not counting in trades) only counts for deals signed under the new CBA, so Zeller's isn't affected.  It still has the same value as it did before that provision (but the change will make similar deals impossible in the future)
I'm bitter.

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If Jones is brought in, what would the rotation look like?

IT 36 mins, Smart 12 mins

AB 30 mins, Smart 18 mins

Crowder 30 mins, Brown  18 mins

Horford 36 mins, (Jones or Jerebko) 12 mins

Amir 24 mins, Olynyk 24 mins

Green gets situational minutes.  Zeller is insurance for foul trouble?  Thats 13 players. 

I really dont see Jackson or whoever the 15th player is (Young or Mickey) being needed.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
That's a tough one.

This is incorrect.  Non-guaranteed contracts signed under the new CBA can't be traded, but ones that were signed under the current CBA will continue to be treated the same way as they have been.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If we had traded a second or 2 for Terrance Jones I would have thought it was a great deal. Jones would be great for getting Horford some rest down the stretch.

Gives him a chance to rebuild his value and help out a contender.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If we get either of Jones or Bogut it will be a pretty happy trade deadline for me.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
That's a tough one.

This is incorrect.  Non-guaranteed contracts signed under the new CBA can't be traded, but ones that were signed under the current CBA will continue to be treated the same way as they have been.

Man, where would we be without @saltlover.

TP for the fact.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
That's a tough one.

Do you have a reference for that?

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
If we had traded a second or 2 for Terrance Jones I would have thought it was a great deal. Jones would be great for getting Horford some rest down the stretch.

Gives him a chance to rebuild his value and help out a contender.
And he is only 25!!!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
That's a tough one.

Right.  It is pretty clear in the new CBA that the new rules that require you to only use guaranteed money for the following season as the matching salary amount of a contract after the trade deadline only pertain to contracts signed starting in NBA year 2017-2018.

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
to Smitty. We all know the trade deadline has come and gone, but it all starts again in July.Dedmon could be offered a RFA contract. Oquinn needs to come in trade.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
That's a tough one.

Do you have a reference for that?

Page 211 of the new CBA.  I've bolded the key phrase:

(5) With respect to Player Contracts entered into or extended
beginning with the 2017-18 Season
(but in the case of Extensions,
only with respect to the extended term), for purposes of calculating
a Team’s Traded Player Exception under this Section 6(j):
(i) A Traded Player’s Salary shall be deemed reduced by the
amount of the player’s unearned Base Compensation that is
not fully-protected for lack of skill and injury or illness at
the time of the trade.

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
So anyway... if we pickup any of the two, when will it happen?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So anyway... if we pickup any of the two, when will it happen?

Within the week most likely.

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
https://twitter.com/stevekylernba/status/835120946184871936

Kyler says Jones interested in Cetics.

Has Jones been bought out already? If not, when will he be? How long after that can he sign with another team?
Thanks