Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14665 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Thank god.   I genuinely think we would have regretted it hard had we given up the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for a non-superstar like Butler.  The pick has a chance to be a superstar and Butler wouldn't have gotten us over the hump.  We sure as hell could have regretted it had we given up the pick for a 1.3 year rental of Paul George before he flees to the Lakers.   

Then when you consider the rumor that Indy wasn't just asking for the Brooklyn pick, but also 3 of the 4 following players:  Smart, Jaylen, Bradley and Crowder...  it would have been downright moronic for us to make that move.

Neither CHicago or Indy was ever serious about making a deal.  They just wanted to see if they could fleece the Celtics into giving up 50 bucks on the dollar for a guy doesn't improve you enough to beat the Golden State Globetrotters. 

Fans will be upset, because they are impatient, want "action", don't understand big picture ramifications, the fact that the 2017 Brooklyn 1st has a reasonable chance to be a better player than Butler, don't realize we have a significant chance to sign a major free agent this summer, and don't realize that we wouldn't necessarily even be a better team by making a deal.   

People are dramatically undervaluing how great Bradley and Crowder have been this year.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see either average 20+ points playing on a bad team like Chicago.  They are great defenders and two of the most efficient shooters in the league this season.   Taking the ball out of Thomas hands late in the game makes no sense right now.  He's been terrific.   I really don't think adding one of those name brand stars would have improved us as much as people think.  They don't address our needs at all.

So glad our team didn't make a foolish short-sighted decision.  It's a major relief. 

Scoff at the dream of the Brooklyn 1st, but I genuinely believe the odds of that pick ending up a better player than Butler are greater than the odds a guy like Butler helps us beat Golden State during his 5 year window.

FWIW, It sounds like Bogut will be bought out and I'm pretty sure Golden State can't sign him (having traded him less than a year ago).  So I imagine we'll be one of the teams he'll consider.  He's a good fit here.   That's all we really need to make a good-faith run at a playoff push this year.

I don't disagree with any of this, although it is easy to feel disappointed in the moment that we didn't make a splash.

Still doesn't explain missing out on Cousins, or why we didn't trade for Noel. I'd even take a flier on Okafor.

Why? He's horrible.

I don't get all the frantic cries to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. this team up. All they're doing is winning more games each year since CBS got here. They'll win substantially more games this year than last, and next year they'll win more games again.

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Woj: combination of both Brooklyn picks were available in deal for PG or Butler, but talks never got as far as protections there

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/834867381876822016

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I guess those picks aren't worth as much as people thought if teams are passing on both

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Woj: combination of both Brooklyn picks were available in deal for PG or Butler, but talks never got as far as protections there

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/834867381876822016

Right.  There are very few GMs dumb enough to trade unprotected picks, and Danny fleeced all those fools.  He's not dumb enough to give up those picks unprotected, unless its for an absolute game changer, ala an Anthony Davis.  Definitely protecting those picks for Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Only C's fans would be screaming "FIRE AINGE!" When we've got a top 5-7 team with a roster where only 1 key player is over 28, Max Level cap space with interested FA's, AND the BEST pick in the draft. STOP getting so worked up about every little rumor or tweet and you'd see this team is still sitting pretty. Getting a guy like Butler or George is better for us in the summer anyway. If we don't make some moves in the summer, then you can get upset.

I'd have loved to get a rebounding big or something, but it's not the end of the world. Bogus will he bought out anyways. If that pick lands in the top 2, especially if it's #1, We'll be paying less for a star player anyway. Deadline fever is a crazy disease.

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Only C's fans would be screaming "FIRE AINGE!" When we've got a top 5-7 team with a roster where only 1 key player is over 28, Max Level cap space with interested FA's, AND the BEST pick in the draft. STOP getting so worked up about every little rumor or tweet and you'd see this team is still sitting pretty. Getting a guy like Butler or George is better for us in the summer anyway. If we don't make some moves in the summer, then you can get upset.

I'd have loved to get a rebounding big or something, but it's not the end of the world. Bogus will he bought out anyways. If that pick lands in the top 2, especially if it's #1, We'll be paying less for a star player anyway. Deadline fever is a crazy disease.

What interested FA's are there? Just Hayward? That's not a sure thing and that certainly doesn't put us over the top. Anybody that can rebound interested?

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Meh.  I already dropped few F-bombs on Danny.  Danny can go straight to hell.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I guess those picks aren't worth as much as people thought if teams are passing on both

Or Paul George and Jimmy Butler weren't really available
I'm bitter.

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is what most of us thought would happen all along.
If we cant get Butler for cheap before deadline, wait and throw miney at Hayward and use cap space, not assets, to sign him.
If that fails, revisit Butler trade after lottery.

Indiana and Bulls are going to get more desperate as time goes on and the price for Butler and George is going down with one post season less left on their contracts.

Bulls are a joke.
Let's see how we do in the playoffs and where our weaknesses are getting out of the East.

BTW, people seem to quickly forget that we have the best odds at the #1 pick too.
The sky is not falling.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The sky is not falling.

Neither is the chance at Larry O'Brien trophy.  Not anytime soon.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Very, very disappointed we didn't take a swing at Taj Gibson, Andrew Bogut, or PJ Tucker.

Who is reporting they did not take these swings?

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Meh.  I already dropped few F-bombs on Danny.  Danny can go straight to hell.

You have serious issues.

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
The sky is not falling.

Neither is the chance at Larry O'Brien trophy.  Not anytime soon.

If giving up the farm for George or Butler could guarantee a title Ainge would have done so.

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge must go.....

Ive had enough of the wait and see approach..

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

Spin it anyway you would like. I'll give you George with the LA pipeline but not Butler. If Butler could have been had for the Nets 17 and anybody else not named Al or Thomas then Ainge is off his meds.

Butler IT Al would attract free agents and veteran fillers who want to win. Now you wait what, another 4 years especially if the 17 pick is not the #1 overall

where is there any proof that DA could have pulled a Butler deal that didn't kill our team?

The Ainge must go part is the really laughable section of your previous statement.  We are only in this position to even go after these players because of deals that DA has done.  The over-reactions are classic after standing pat.

Ainge 14 years 2 finals 1 championship. Underachiever? You bet

« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Danny is a great GM but I do think he's overvaluing second round picks here. We had to dump a bunch of those for nothing last year because we couldn't find takers. Would much rather have used one or two to get Gibson/Bogut/Tucker and slightly increase chance of ECF.

Define Great? 14 years 1 ring, come on man