Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14580 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
honestly,  i wish they wouldn't have signed horford at this point.  rather have the money to sign a better younger free agent.

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge must go.....

Ive had enough of the wait and see approach..

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

Spin it anyway you would like. I'll give you George with the LA pipeline but not Butler. If Butler could have been had for the Nets 17 and anybody else not named Al or Thomas then Ainge is off his meds.

Butler IT Al would attract free agents and veteran fillers who want to win. Now you wait what, another 4 years especially if the 17 pick is not the #1 overall

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Waits for Danny's excuse as to why we didn't try to get an upgrade

You think he didn't try?

No I don't.  Trying means willing to be reasonable not ok well give you a second rounder for your star player and that's it.  GMs are giving a big fu to ainge and defers g to teams that actually wanna do something and not small around like a peacock.  Two years straight this fool is left with draft picks and we'll be left with mediocrity

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
People are mad about not making a small trade?

WE passed on Demarcus Cousins for peanuts. I think we will directly see how much we missed out on that trade tonight.

Sacramento was a dumpster fire and a dump of a franchise. I can almost guarantee you that he will be fine emotionally in NO and if that's the case we just missed out big time

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

WE passed on Demarcus Cousins for peanuts. I think we will directly see how much we missed out on that trade tonight.

Sacramento was a dumpster fire and a dump of a franchise. I can almost guarantee you that he will be fine emotionally in NO and if that's the case we just missed out big time

Fair points, although that technical foul problem is another issue.

Get one, suspended the next game? Risky.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

Yeah, because it would have been awesome to trade Brown, AB, Smart, and the '17 pick for a possible one year rental.  ::)

So glad we have Ainge running things - trade deadline fever can really get to some.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid! Danny just served up a fresh batch

You would have made that deal?

Because as far as I can see, neither the Bulls nor the Pacers are trading those players away. 

Be mad about the Celtics not wanting Cousins. 

But for not making an overpay for those swing guy?

George was not worth that price. Butler with his contract was

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

I wonder if Wyc wishes he never promised fireworks.

Oh we already have fireworks. We're getting a top 3 pick in a great draft. That's where franchise cornerstones are acquired. You don't just give those away.

in 4th year of rebuild the Celtics will have Fultz/Ball + Brown + Smart + Horford + IT. That is fireworks for me

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory
YA!!!

GIT HIM OUTTA HERE!!!

I DONT CARE THAT WE HAVE GREAT DRAFT PICKS COMINGDOWN THE PIPELINE!!!

Purgatory

.305-->.488-->.585-->.649 + a #3 pick rookie, guaranteed 2017 top 4, likely 2018 top 5 = "purgatory".

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

Spin it anyway you would like. I'll give you George with the LA pipeline but not Butler. If Butler could have been had for the Nets 17 and anybody else not named Al or Thomas then Ainge is off his meds.

Butler IT Al would attract free agents and veteran fillers who want to win. Now you wait what, another 4 years especially if the 17 pick is not the #1 overall

But how many of those names not known as Al and Thomas should they give away?

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

Fair points, although that technical foul problem is another issue.

Get one, suspended the next game? Risky.

Guess what. We still win even more games even if he misses freaking 3 games from suspension. We need him in the playoffs

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
There wasn't a deal out there that puts this team over Cleveland.  Maybe Paul George, but reports are that he wasn't really available anyways. So there wasn't a deal out there that puts this team over Cleveland. 

So we're still a team thats probably going to finish in the top 3 in the east (with or without Bulter, George, Drummond, Noel) and we still have all of are assets. All of them. 

And still a player for Bogut who's going to get bought out by the Sixers.  Not really seeing the downside here.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory
YA!!!

GIT HIM OUTTA HERE!!!

I DONT CARE THAT WE HAVE GREAT DRAFT PICKS COMINGDOWN THE PIPELINE!!!

Purgatory

.305-->.488-->.585-->649 + a #3 pick rookie + a guaranteed 2017 top 4 + a likely 2018 top 5 = "purgatory".
we're in such a good position

there are no guarantees, but i really love the organic growth of this team

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
The results of the draft lottery are now huge. We absolutely need to get the first pick. If that happens, I would assume we'll have a lot more potential trade options. From the perspective of other teams, I can understand why not knowing where that pick will fall may have decreased our leverage a bit.

I'm interested to hear Danny's take on all of this. On the bright side, we still retained all of our assets, which are much better than anyone else's in the league. But were there more minor deals to be had that would've improved us in the short term while still retaining all key assets?

Lastly, like others have said, there's no way Chicago and Indy were serious about dealing Butler or George if they were asking for that much, as they never would've gotten it.

Study draft more. Watch the games. Simply not true. There are at least 4 awesome players. I doubt Danny has  Fultz 1.

Didn't mean to imply that there's only one player at the top that's clearly better than everyone else. But I do think a prospective trade partner would covet the top pick much more than the second, third or fourth pick, because that guarantees they get their top player. Just from the standpoint of us maximizing our trade leverage, I do think winning the lottery would be huge.

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

where is there any proof that DA could have pulled a Butler deal that didn't kill our team?

The Ainge must go part is the really laughable section of your previous statement.  We are only in this position to even go after these players because of deals that DA has done.  The over-reactions are classic after standing pat.

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The pick will be very attractive after the lottery.

Ainge could package 2018 #1 and 3 2nd round picks this year and move back into the 1st round. Then he could package that pick and a player to move up in a deep draft.

Could we somehow get 2 top 10 picks and still sign a FA like Haywood?