Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14579 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Mike WiseVerified account‏@MikeWiseguy  18m18 minutes ago
More
 Heard Okafor might have been part of a three-way to get Butler to Boston, eventually winding up in Chicago. But it fell apart quickly.

https://twitter.com/MikeWiseguy/status/834860328257253377
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Terrence Jones getting waived. Should definitely look into him

Sign Jones. Waive Young.  Pels sign Young.

Hey we made a trade!

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

I wonder if Wyc wishes he never promised fireworks. 
Horford was the fireworks Wyc talked about hahaha
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Ainge must go.....

Ive had enough of the wait and see approach..

Purgatory

haha seriously?  DA management of the team is the reason we have all these assets.  The price was too high for butler and PG.  so be it, lets hope the ping pong balls bounce nice for us to a #1 pick and then add the euro guys next year.  We are going to be a better team next year either way.

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
standing pat was the right move.
Adding Butler or George would have been exciting but not at the cost they wanted. No chance we beat the Warriors with either, probably wouldnt beat the Cavs either.
This team is building for the future, not right now. and that is exactly what they should be doing. The only real player mentioned the past few days that actually made sense to me is Drummond, he's young, on a LT contract and fits a major area of need.

Makes you wonder what that means for guys like IT and extensions? I think Ainge's goal is to stay young. 

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory
YA!!!

GIT HIM OUTTA HERE!!!

I DONT CARE THAT WE HAVE GREAT DRAFT PICKS COMINGDOWN THE PIPELINE!!!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
i'm p---ed.  couldn't even grab Noel?  or Tucker?   

looking forward to wasting more 1sts on players like Young, Rj, Rozier.
At least be consistent.  You don't value picks.  Okay.  So what do you want for those picks you don't value?  A star?

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

No one here would've complained if he'd made a deal to make us contenders this year, but those deals are much easier said than done. Has he made mistakes in the draft? Absolutely. But he's also made some phenomenal trades that not many other GM's would've been able to pull off. And, to me, being in "purgatory" would be a situation where we're stuck in that second tier of teams with no way to move to the first tier. But that's not the case here, as just the Nets '17 pick and a potential max free agent added this summer could immediately vault us into legit contender status in 2017-18, and this team isn't even close to reaching its ceiling yet.

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

Yeah, because it would have been awesome to trade Brown, AB, Smart, and the '17 pick for a possible one year rental.  ::)

So glad we have Ainge running things - trade deadline fever can really get to some.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid! Danny just served up a fresh batch

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory
YA!!!

GIT HIM OUTTA HERE!!!

I DONT CARE THAT WE HAVE GREAT DRAFT PICKS COMINGDOWN THE PIPELINE!!!

Purgatory

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Thank god.   I genuinely think we would have regretted it hard had we given up the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for a non-superstar like Butler.  The pick has a chance to be a superstar and Butler wouldn't have gotten us over the hump.  We sure as hell could have regretted it had we given up the pick for a 1.3 year rental of Paul George before he flees to the Lakers.   

Then when you consider the rumor that Indy wasn't just asking for the Brooklyn pick, but also 3 of the 4 following players:  Smart, Jaylen, Bradley and Crowder...  it would have been downright moronic for us to make that move.

Neither CHicago or Indy was ever serious about making a deal.  They just wanted to see if they could fleece the Celtics into giving up 50 bucks on the dollar for a guy doesn't improve you enough to beat the Golden State Globetrotters. 

Fans will be upset, because they are impatient, want "action", don't understand big picture ramifications, the fact that the 2017 Brooklyn 1st has a reasonable chance to be a better player than Butler, don't realize we have a significant chance to sign a major free agent this summer, and don't realize that we wouldn't necessarily even be a better team by making a deal.   

People are dramatically undervaluing how great Bradley and Crowder have been this year.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see either average 20+ points playing on a bad team like Chicago.  They are great defenders and two of the most efficient shooters in the league this season.   Taking the ball out of Thomas hands late in the game makes no sense right now.  He's been terrific.   I really don't think adding one of those name brand stars would have improved us as much as people think.  They don't address our needs at all.

So glad our team didn't make a foolish short-sighted decision.  It's a major relief. 

Scoff at the dream of the Brooklyn 1st, but I genuinely believe the odds of that pick ending up a better player than Butler are greater than the odds a guy like Butler helps us beat Golden State during his 5 year window.

FWIW, It sounds like Bogut will be bought out and I'm pretty sure Golden State can't sign him (having traded him less than a year ago).  So I imagine we'll be one of the teams he'll consider.  He's a good fit here.   That's all we really need to make a good-faith run at a playoff push this year.

Couldn't agree more. TP LB, and welcome back

Grandpa

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Oh we already have fireworks. We're getting a top 3 pick in a great draft. That's where franchise cornerstones are acquired. You don't just give those away.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Horford was the fireworks Wyc talked about hahaha

Was that 10 years ago ....LOL.....I forget it's been so long.

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ainge must go.....

Purgatory

Yeah, because it would have been awesome to trade Brown, AB, Smart, and the '17 pick for a possible one year rental.  ::)

So glad we have Ainge running things - trade deadline fever can really get to some.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid! Danny just served up a fresh batch

You would have made that deal?

Because as far as I can see, neither the Bulls nor the Pacers are trading those players away. 

Be mad about the Celtics not wanting Cousins. 

But for not making an overpay for those swing guy?

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The results of the draft lottery are now huge. We absolutely need to get the first pick. If that happens, I would assume we'll have a lot more potential trade options. From the perspective of other teams, I can understand why not knowing where that pick will fall may have decreased our leverage a bit.

I'm interested to hear Danny's take on all of this. On the bright side, we still retained all of our assets, which are much better than anyone else's in the league. But were there more minor deals to be had that would've improved us in the short term while still retaining all key assets?

Lastly, like others have said, there's no way Chicago and Indy were serious about dealing Butler or George if they were asking for that much, as they never would've gotten it.

Study draft more. Watch the games. Simply not true. There are at least 4 awesome players. I doubt Danny has  Fultz 1.