Author Topic: So TOR/WAS Improved, And We Didn't Even Make A Short-Term Improvement?  (Read 8591 times)

Re: So TOR/WAS Improved, And We Didn't Even Make A Short-Term Improvement?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Boston's ceiling is the 2 seed. The basement is the 4 seed.

They really need to stay out of the 4 seed to avoid the Cavs. Need to finish 2 or 3.

That's true, but the decision alone to not improve the rebounding on this team means that it's incredibly possible this team could lose in the first round.

There's like 8 or 9 different possibilities of who they could face in the first round, and now because they didn't improve rebounding, match-ups are gonna absolutely matter.  Their inability to get rebounds when it matters extends the first round at least 6 games, I expect it to go 7, and then it's all hands on deck.

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Danny Ainge is the asset collector. Think he enjoys have 5 second round picks and Euro's stashed overseas for years more than actually using them for legit NBA players

He built a championship team. He's a top GM.

14 years=1 title. Awesome.

More than Everyone in the East except Miami and tied with Cavs.
tied with Detroit and Miami for most non-Lebron rings.

And this is really what it boils down to. It's difficult to win titles without all-time talent.

LeBron accounts for three championships.

Duncan for five.

Shaq had four, and Kobe added two more solo with LA.

Jordan had six

Hakeem had 2

Kareem had five with Magic, one solo on the Bucks

Bird had three

Havlicek had two solo

Russell had eleven

That's forty-four titles in sixty years, and that's just off the top of my head. All by top-10 or at least top-15 all-time talent.

Celtic champions - and really almost all NBA champions - have been built off of all-time great stars.

We need big fish, either through draft, trade, or FA. These little guys are irrelevant unless we're already in contention.

Maybe that realization makes the game less fun, but that's the way it is, and it's the way it's always been. I'm just going to enjoy the moment and watch the young guys improve. I like the culture on this team, and if we do land the big fish we'll be well-positioned for true contention.

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
That's what I hated most about this deadline...not that we didn't get a superstar...but that out of the 5 top teams in the East, we were the only one to not improve our roster.  To watch all of the competition around us make these cheap/small moves that will improve their teams and have us not make one single move when it's so painfully obvious what this team needs to improve upon, it's frustrating.

What's the point of accumulating all of these "assets" if you don't actually turn them in for something?  Especially on something like rebounding and defense help, where it would've cost you next to nothing to bring someone in?

Been saying this for two years but ya kno this blog ..." in Danny we trust"....blah blah blah ::)

Same here, watching blog rules get violated against me with impunity because it's OK if you defend Ainge.

Blah, blah, blah.

I believe that we should defend Danny. 2013-2017 the rebuild years for the Celtics. Just 4 years. The Celtics at the end of 2017 will have Fultz/Ball + Brown + Smart + Horford + IT. Some teams are in rebuild longer than us and they don't even have a quarter of our assets. So why now trade brooklyn pick and Brown for PG13 and weaken the roster when we can use the pick to get a cornerstone player on a loaded draft and also have salary cap to sign another player for free like we did with Horford. PG13 in good player but not Lebron type of player so spent a lot of assets for a really good player but risking the future with giving up assets? No, i'm ok with whats happening and i will defend DA when he is in the middle of the greatest rebuild in nba history
For this statement to work Brown and/or the BKN pick actually has to reach the level of Paul George (of course by then Horford and IT will be past their prime or not on the team). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We all have to remember that even if he gets a package for DCousins - we make it to the ECF and probably give Cleveland a good run. It didn't cost that much to get Cousins and that's where we messed up.

Brad not wanting to coach a percieved Malcontent is something that has to be addressed. in the NBA talent trumps all (boy do I hate the fact that I used that word) and by not upgrading talent, when your competition did the C's lose.

Not true.
Cousins doesnt fit here. Ball stopper and we already have Horford in the paint. Cousins and Horford would be an awful defensive duo. Just awful.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
That's what I hated most about this deadline...not that we didn't get a superstar...but that out of the 5 top teams in the East, we were the only one to not improve our roster.  To watch all of the competition around us make these cheap/small moves that will improve their teams and have us not make one single move when it's so painfully obvious what this team needs to improve upon, it's frustrating.

What's the point of accumulating all of these "assets" if you don't actually turn them in for something?  Especially on something like rebounding and defense help, where it would've cost you next to nothing to bring someone in?

Been saying this for two years but ya kno this blog ..." in Danny we trust"....blah blah blah ::)

Same here, watching blog rules get violated against me with impunity because it's OK if you defend Ainge.

Blah, blah, blah.

I believe that we should defend Danny. 2013-2017 the rebuild years for the Celtics. Just 4 years. The Celtics at the end of 2017 will have Fultz/Ball + Brown + Smart + Horford + IT. Some teams are in rebuild longer than us and they don't even have a quarter of our assets. So why now trade brooklyn pick and Brown for PG13 and weaken the roster when we can use the pick to get a cornerstone player on a loaded draft and also have salary cap to sign another player for free like we did with Horford. PG13 in good player but not Lebron type of player so spent a lot of assets for a really good player but risking the future with giving up assets? No, i'm ok with whats happening and i will defend DA when he is in the middle of the greatest rebuild in nba history
For this statement to work Brown and/or the BKN pick actually has to reach the level of Paul George (of course by then Horford and IT will be past their prime or not on the team).

Well Brown, Fultz/Ball and the brooklyn 18 pick..... i mean one of those great talents must become great player... i think. But at the end George isn't that good to bring title here, he is not a top 5 or top 10 player in this league

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2017, 05:29:57 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Blah, blah, blah.

Well Brown, Fultz/Ball and the brooklyn 18 pick..... i mean one of those great talents must become great player... i think. But at the end George isn't that good to bring title here, he is not a top 5 or top 10 player in this league

Putting your success in an unknown future is very dangerous.  Those guys could turn out to be duds.  WE kno what we have in George butler.  Even if we trade the picks. We have four years before they develop.  Right around the time our team is seasoned.  We can start th rebuild after a few years which is right where we'd be anyway with the picks.  He Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed up again

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Blah, blah, blah.

I'd say Brown has a very decent shot at that. Young talent is often overlooked because of the uncertainty of 'potential'. People like the player they can see is already there. The best in the business have the ability to see the talent before others, it's what gives them the edge. Ainge and Stevens seem to have that knack and they are extremely high on him, same with Smart. I'm happy to roll with them.

And if IT and particularly Horford are just bridging eras then so be it. I've always viewed Horford as an addition that helps develop our younger guards, i.e. giving them a decent big man to play around and help improve their games. IT will likely be in 2008/9 KG/Pierce territory when our young guys hit their prime, hardly over the hill and certainly still able to contribute

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford

Blah, blah, blah.

Putting your success in an unknown future is very dangerous.  Those guys could turn out to be duds.  WE kno what we have in George butler.  Even if we trade the picks. We have four years before they develop.  Right around the time our team is seasoned.  We can start th rebuild after a few years which is right where we'd be anyway with the picks.  He ****ed up again

So you are saying that we know what we have in George? Yes we do. Maybe top 20 player in the league at most, not top 5. Does top 20 player in the league brings titles? No. George+Horford+IT will win a title? I think not. So you think is better to end the rebuild and try to win now when we have possibility to have top 3 picks in 2016,2017 and 2018? I'm saying because we know what we get with George is exactly the reason why we should keep the picks. Look back who wins nba titles. Top 5 or top 10 players in the league. Not George ( who by the way is really really good but not top 10)

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Blah, blah, blah.

I'd say Brown has a very decent shot at that. Young talent is often overlooked because of the uncertainty of 'potential'. People like the player they can see is already there. The best in the business have the ability to see the talent before others, it's what gives them the edge. Ainge and Stevens seem to have that knack and they are extremely high on him, same with Smart. I'm happy to roll with them.

And if IT and particularly Horford are just bridging eras then so be it. I've always viewed Horford as an addition that helps develop our younger guards, i.e. giving them a decent big man to play around and help improve their games. IT will likely be in 2008/9 KG/Pierce territory when our young guys hit their prime, hardly over the hill and certainly still able to contribute

lol your reaching

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Blah, blah, blah.

Putting your success in an unknown future is very dangerous.  Those guys could turn out to be duds.  WE kno what we have in George butler.  Even if we trade the picks. We have four years before they develop.  Right around the time our team is seasoned.  We can start th rebuild after a few years which is right where we'd be anyway with the picks.  He ****ed up again

So you are saying that we know what we have in George? Yes we do. Maybe top 20 player in the league at most, not top 5. Does top 20 player in the league brings titles? No. George+Horford+IT will win a title? I think not. So you think is better to end the rebuild and try to win now when we have possibility to have top 3 picks in 2016,2017 and 2018? I'm saying because we know what we get with George is exactly the reason why we should keep the picks. Look back who wins nba titles. Top 5 or top 10 players in the league. Not George ( who by the way is really really good but not top 10)

So your projecting based on nothing those 3 picks will be a top 5 ::).  Was that ainges rational when he created the big 3?  No he got what he knew he had and didn't hold out hope thinking jeff green would turn into a top 5 player

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Blah, blah, blah.

So your projecting based on nothing those 3 picks will be a top 5 ::).  Was that ainges rational when he created the big 3?  No he got what he knew he had and didn't hold out hope thinking jeff green would turn into a top 5 player

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford

Blah, blah, blah.

2016 Jaylen Brown 3rd pick
2017 best chance in the lottery, pick will be at least top 3
2018 Nets traded Bogdanovic and continue to shop Lopez to srat rebuild, meaning they won't get better in 2018

So unless something terrible happen, we will have 3 consecutive top 3 picks.

EDIT: KG was top 10 player in the league, George is only top 20 at best so you can't compare that. If Durant or Lebron is availible i would trade all picks for them :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:00:41 PM by vgulab »

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Blah, blah, blah.

2016 Jaylen Brown 3rd pick
2017 best chance in the lottery, pick will be at least top 3
2018 Nets traded Bogdanovic and continue to shop Lopez to srat rebuild, meaning they won't get better in 2018

So unless something terrible happen, we will have 3 consecutive top 3 picks.

EDIT: KG was top 10 player in the league, George is only top 20 at best so you can't compare that. If Durant or Lebron is availible i would trade all picks for them :)
The worst record only guarantees a top 4 pick.  I wouldn't count on the Nets being the worst team in 2018.  I think the Kings are going to tank hard or at least they should.