Author Topic: Woj Trade Deadline Show Live  (Read 9275 times)

Re: Woj Trade Deadline Show Live
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I knew the #2 seed won't be lived for long.

The Raptors got a major upgrade in Ibaka and Tucker.
The Wizards picked up Bogdonovic.
The Hawks got Ilyasova.

The Celtics did absolutely nothing but get an ailing Avery Bradley back from injury. We're looking at around the 4th or 5th seed by season's end.
Do not look down and take a step back from that ledge overreact much? We have the easiest schedule of all of them and have 4.5 games on the hawks with 25 games to go, if you want to be upset go ahead but that's ridiculous and you are saying it in like every thread. Do you really think ilyasova makes the hawks 15 games better over the course of a season cause that's how the math would work out.

Easiest schedule and can still go on small losing streaks here and there while other Eastern Conference teams can soar in the standings.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The real story here is that we didn't make a play for Taj Gibson, who got traded for a basket of spare parts and a second-rounder. He would have instantly been our second-best big.

Taj also would've been really nice, and a good fit here.

It's the small deals I'm more disappointed about than the big ones.

Yep. Nobody can be mad about Butler and George. They obviously wanted way, way too much for them at this point.

But to not even upgrade our MISERABLE bigs rotation and our rebounding is simply unacceptable. If we miss out on the Bogut buy out, what a complete failure this has been.

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I'm a little bummed we didn't go after Gallinari. Who knows what they wanted for him but given what better guys went for, probably not much. A wing scorer who can get to the rim would've been a nice roster upgrade. Tucker could've also bolstered our wing though with a different skillset.

Not so bummed about missing out on George after the offer that was leaked. Not a viable deal there. And now we get to win 50 games and find out if we also get the #1 pick or "only" #3/4. Not a bad position to be in.

50 wins, a couple weeks of playoff games, the lottery, and then a top 4 selection in the draft.

Not bad.

Could've maybe given up a minor asset to improve the rotation in some way, but I can understand why Ainge might feel like it's not worth it.  Celts aren't getting past CLE this year without a major move.

we can't draft every player with all the picks we have.. we have to trade some off.. this was th whole point of attaining the picks.. to package them for players..

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The real story here is that we didn't make a play for Taj Gibson, who got traded for a basket of spare parts and a second-rounder. He would have instantly been our second-best big.

As a fan, I'm disappointed because I think this team as constructed is going to have a tough time just making the second round.  They're not playoff tested and their weaknesses are bad news for a playoff team.

Still, I can see why a dispassionate GM would feel that there's no urgency to give up assets to make a minor move.  Even if they had added Gibson or Gallinari, they're not taking more than a game or two off Cleveland anyway, assuming they even get the opportunity to face Cleveland.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm a little bummed we didn't go after Gallinari. Who knows what they wanted for him but given what better guys went for, probably not much. A wing scorer who can get to the rim would've been a nice roster upgrade. Tucker could've also bolstered our wing though with a different skillset.

Not so bummed about missing out on George after the offer that was leaked. Not a viable deal there. And now we get to win 50 games and find out if we also get the #1 pick or "only" #3/4. Not a bad position to be in.

50 wins, a couple weeks of playoff games, the lottery, and then a top 4 selection in the draft.

Not bad.

Could've maybe given up a minor asset to improve the rotation in some way, but I can understand why Ainge might feel like it's not worth it.  Celts aren't getting past CLE this year without a major move.

we can't draft every player with all the picks we have.. we have to trade some off.. this was th whole point of attaining the picks.. to package them for players..

I agree, they will have to do something about all the picks they have in the pipeline.

Unfortunately, they will probably end up getting used on draft and stash guys or traded for cash if they're second rounders, just like last year.

But that can have value for keeping the roster stocked with productive guys on affordable contracts in the future.

Two years from now the Celts will be capped out unless they let Isaiah and Bradley walk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:11 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Are people really panicking about us not getting a 31-year-old role player from the 19-win Suns?

Guy isn't going to move the needle for anyone. We aren't close to being contenders yet - and nether are the Wiz, Raptors, or Hawks.

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not bad.

Agree but we can certainly use the Top-5 ones the Nets keep sending our way. It's the lesser ones that'll need to go, but we have some time to flip those as well.

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I knew the #2 seed won't be lived for long.

The Raptors got a major upgrade in Ibaka and Tucker.
The Wizards picked up Bogdonovic.
The Hawks got Ilyasova.

The Celtics did absolutely nothing but get an ailing Avery Bradley back from injury. We're looking at around the 4th or 5th seed by season's end.
Do not look down and take a step back from that ledge overreact much? We have the easiest schedule of all of them and have 4.5 games on the hawks with 25 games to go, if you want to be upset go ahead but that's ridiculous and you are saying it in like every thread. Do you really think ilyasova makes the hawks 15 games better over the course of a season cause that's how the math would work out.

Easiest schedule and can still go on small losing streaks here and there while other Eastern Conference teams can soar in the standings.

And the Warriors could end up missing the playoffs. Just because something technically can happen doesn't mean there's any meaningful chance of it happening
I'm bitter.

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yep. Nobody can be mad about Butler and George. They obviously wanted way, way too much for them at this point.

But to not even upgrade our MISERABLE bigs rotation and our rebounding is simply unacceptable. If we miss out on the Bogut buy out, what a complete failure this has been.

This is where I am as well. Washington and Toronto both addressed holes on their rosters, we did not.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don't see much success coming this year in the playoffs. Just not a strong roster...

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Don't see much success coming this year in the playoffs. Just not a strong roster...
I agree.

I don't see us getting further than the 2nd round.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Boston now to me falls behind the Raptors in the East

I can see the Cs winning the opening round and that is about all at this point. Sooner or later Danny has to stop collecting assests and use them to add some help outside of the first round picks

If the current group is maxed out around a 50ish win / borderline 2nd round team, what kind of move involving picks and young assets is going to get them further?

I think it would have to be a trade for an All-Star that doesn't compromise the current core, right?

Doesn't sound like that has been an option yet, unless you think they could have gotten Cousins.
Cousins could have made us a contender.  Unless KD has a major falling out with GSW, there is no one we can sign in free agency that will make us a contender for next season.  Whoever we draft with the Nets pick isn't going to make us a contender next season. 

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are people really panicking about us not getting a 31-year-old role player from the 19-win Suns?

Guy isn't going to move the needle for anyone. We aren't close to being contenders yet - and nether are the Wiz, Raptors, or Hawks.

I'm more upset about missing out on the 26 year old All-NBA center.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Boston now to me falls behind the Raptors in the East

I can see the Cs winning the opening round and that is about all at this point. Sooner or later Danny has to stop collecting assests and use them to add some help outside of the first round picks

If the current group is maxed out around a 50ish win / borderline 2nd round team, what kind of move involving picks and young assets is going to get them further?

I think it would have to be a trade for an All-Star that doesn't compromise the current core, right?

Doesn't sound like that has been an option yet, unless you think they could have gotten Cousins.
Cousins could have made us a contender.  Unless KD has a major falling out with GSW, there is no one we can sign in free agency that will make us a contender for next season.  Whoever we draft with the Nets pick isn't going to make us a contender next season.

Yeah it doesn't look like the IT/Horford era is likely to yield a contender. GSW really has things in the bag, never mind Cleveland.

Our top-8 looks good...in 5 years.

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

I'm more upset about missing out on the 26 year old All-NBA center.

Fair enough, that is criticism that is relevant to our championship contention. But there's gotta be a reason so many other teams passed on him as well. Disappointing either way, ugh.