Author Topic: Windhorst : George likely to be traded(Indy clearing roster spots?)  (Read 28425 times)

Re: Windhorst : George likely to be traded
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
Guessing to Lakers for ingram , 2017 1st, clarkson

Can they trade their 2017 first at all, or can they simply say "2017 if it finishes 1,2 or 3?"

Mike

I don't think they can. The Stepian rule doesn't allow for even the possibility of having no 1st in consecutive years, so they couldn't give away their pick this year if it's in the top 3 because they would still owe the 2018 pick to Philly.  And considering that they already traded their 2019 pick (or 2020 if they don't convey to Philly this year), I don't see how they could include a first at all

Ah, yes, forgot about that. TP.

Mike

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Will you all stop freakin me out with that funny ˝lakers sentence˝. Who cares about Lakers?!

Lol

Take it easy

But I doubt its the Celts that got him

Cbs just said he doesnt expect big changes. Maybe minor ones

I think that was coach-speak: "I want to make it clear that I love the guys I have, I'm not pushing for anything big."

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Can they trade their 2017 first at all, or can they simply say "2017 if it finishes 1,2 or 3?"

Mike

I don't think they can. The Stepian rule doesn't allow for even the possibility of having no 1st in consecutive years, so they couldn't give away their pick this year if it's in the top 3 because they would still owe the 2018 pick to Philly.  And considering that they already traded their 2019 pick (or 2020 if they don't convey to Philly this year), I don't see how they could include a first at all

Mike

See saltlover's post, the Houston pick they got for Lou Williams gives them more flexibility here.

Re: Windhorst : George likely to be traded(Indy clearing roster spots?)
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
You go over to reddit and all you read is "Paul George is a top 10 guy", "picks are a gamble, George is better than anything you'll get" etc. These are casual fans and not people invested in the C's dominance.

Like Max Kellerman said about LA yesterday, that "Laker fans don't want to just have the ability to make a run now and become more relevant in the league for that year, they want to have a dynasty level run, that when they are winning the rest of the league just whimpers at how unfair going up against that Lakers squad is" ... I'm paraphrasing but the same should apply EVEN MORE to us. Because if we fancy ourselves to be one of the greatest winners and not just a 2008 one-hit wonder type of winner... we don't do this trade.

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Will you all stop freakin me out with that funny ˝lakers sentence˝. Who cares about Lakers?!

Lol

Take it easy

But I doubt its the Celts that got him

Cbs just said he doesnt expect big changes. Maybe minor ones

I think that was coach-speak: "I want to make it clear that I love the guys I have, I'm not pushing for anything big."

Yeah literally nothing that Brad or Danny says today can be taken at face value.

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

They can't trade their 2017 1st, Philly has the rights unless it's top 3, and if it is Philly has the rights to their 2018 pick.  They could only trade their 2017 1st if they hit top 3 and it's draft night.

They can trade their 2017 1st if they keep it, or 2018 if Philly gets 2017.  Still dwarfed by the Nets pick.

Wouldn't that violate the Stepien Rule?

No, because they got Houston's 1st this year for Williams, so they'd still make a draft pick this year.

Good point, I forgot about that.  It would be a huge risk for Indy, though, considering that they wouldn't be able to get the 2018 Lakers pick if the 2017 one goes to Philly (except maybe through a swap, but if they trade Paul George then they'll likely be looking to tank, so the 2018 pick swap would be worthless
I'm bitter.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You go over to reddit and all you read is "Paul George is a top 10 guy", "picks are a gamble, George is better than anything you'll get" etc. These are casual fans and not people invested in the C's dominance.
This is all factual, and getting an established top player almost invariably beats any sort of pick you can throw in a deal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Like Max Kellerman said about LA yesterday, that "Laker fans don't want to just have the ability to make a run now and become more relevant in the league for that year, they want to have a dynasty level run, that when they are winning the rest of the league just whimpers at how unfair going up against that Lakers squad is" ... I'm paraphrasing but the same should apply EVEN MORE to us. Because if we fancy ourselves to be one of the greatest winners and not just a 2008 one-hit wonder type of winner... we don't do this trade.

You're severely underestimating Paul George. There's no guarantee that the Nets pick is first overall, could end up as low as 4th. If you have the opportunity to get a Paul George without dismantling your core, on a team that's already 2nd in the East, you gotta pull the trigger.

Not to mention, he's 26. This guy will be a legit superstar for the next 5 years. This isn't a 1 and done situation.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's gonna be painful if he goes somewhere other than the Celts.

Cmon ..we still get to keep brown and picks

Paul George is a top 15 two-way player with the size to check the best wings in the league.

You give up your best assets to add a guy like that to a 50 win team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's got to be Lakers if they clear out a ton of space. Would be a DA type more to get one of the guys they clearing from Pacers or offer up C's 2018 and wolves second for Randle.

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is all factual, and getting an established top player almost invariably beats any sort of pick you can throw in a deal.

It's factual but if he walks in 18 months, it also defeats the purpose of what the Celtics have been trying to do here since the PP/KG trade.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Gotta think that if you are going to get a max player..you go all in on George. Resign him and Thomas and there is your core with Horford, Smart and Brown

If you can't get him...keep the pick...draft Fultz, maybe trade Bradley and court another FA this summer

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It's factual but if he walks in 18 months, it also defeats the purpose of what the Celtics have been trying to do here since the PP/KG trade.
So what are you going to do? Ultimately you have to be able to make your best players want to play for you no matter what.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Mike

Mike

See saltlover's post, the Houston pick they got for Lou Williams gives them more flexibility here.

Yeah, I forgot about that part of it.  Still a very tough situation, though, because of the future pick they already traded and the possibility that the pick this year goes to Philly.  If it does, then they can't just give Indy their 2018 first because they owe Orlando a pick 2 years after the Philly one conveys.  Unless they get another 2018 or 2019 pick (unprotected) in the meantime, they'd only be able to trade the pick as top-3 this year, with it becoming either future swap rights (unlikely to be accepted by a team trading their star) or swapping to the Houston pick, which would suck
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You have to take those kinds of risks if you want to put together a contender, though.

If the Celts are mostly focused on winning 45+ games every year for the next decade, by all means keep the picks.

If the plan is actually to try to contend for a title in the next five years, they have to be willing to trade picks and prospects for a final piece type of guy, and I believe George is that caliber of player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain