Author Topic: Windhorst : George likely to be traded(Indy clearing roster spots?)  (Read 28664 times)

Re: Windhorst : George likely to be traded(Indy clearing roster spots?)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Get George for Jae, brk 17

Trade zellar bos 18 , 2nd rd pick for Galianri

Sign bogut

IT.       Smart
AB        Jaylen
George   Galinari
Horford   jerebko
Bogut      KO

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Sign bogut

IT.       Smart
AB        Jaylen
George   Galinari
Horford   jerebko
Bogut      KO

I would be beyond excited with that lineup. I have to think Indy is going to demand Brown or Smart though as well as Crowder and the first.

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
You go over to reddit and all you read is "Paul George is a top 10 guy", "picks are a gamble, George is better than anything you'll get" etc. These are casual fans and not people invested in the C's dominance.
This is all factual, and getting an established top player almost invariably beats any sort of pick you can throw in a deal.

Paul George top 10 player? Not factual... there's been recent picks that are now outperforming him in the present(contributing to him not being a top 10 player anymore) like Giannis. Let's not act like this is still 2013 and this guy didn't break his leg into pieces and he hasn't been underperforming since. Because THAT my friend, is what's factual.

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Speculation suggests that C's and Indy are in real advanced talks then. It would suck to land just PJ tucker after all this lol
- LilRip

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Speculation suggests that C's and Indy are in real advanced talks then. It would suck to land just PJ tucker after all this lol

It would, but it would suck equally as much if Ainge didn't know when to walk away from PG13 as the price skyrockets and adrenaline gets going.

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
You go over to reddit and all you read is "Paul George is a top 10 guy", "picks are a gamble, George is better than anything you'll get" etc. These are casual fans and not people invested in the C's dominance.

Like Max Kellerman said about LA yesterday, that "Laker fans don't want to just have the ability to make a run now and become more relevant in the league for that year, they want to have a dynasty level run, that when they are winning the rest of the league just whimpers at how unfair going up against that Lakers squad is" ... I'm paraphrasing but the same should apply EVEN MORE to us. Because if we fancy ourselves to be one of the greatest winners and not just a 2008 one-hit wonder type of winner... we don't do this trade.

You're severely underestimating Paul George. There's no guarantee that the Nets pick is first overall, could end up as low as 4th. If you have the opportunity to get a Paul George without dismantling your core, on a team that's already 2nd in the East, you gotta pull the trigger.

Not to mention, he's 26. This guy will be a legit superstar for the next 5 years. This isn't a 1 and done situation.

If he's such a sure thing why didn't the deal go down already? Why did we have to wait for Indiana's season to falter in large part because of the roster but also because Paul George has not taken any steps forward into becoming a superstar, his production has been stagnant. WHERE ARE THE SUPERSTAR NUMBERS?! Cousins had them... and he got traded for less.

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If you can't get George or Butler...don't even make a deal. Save the picks for the draft. PJ Tucker, Bogut would not get them past the Cavs

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Sign bogut

IT.       Smart
AB        Jaylen
George   Galinari
Horford   jerebko
Bogut      KO

I would be beyond excited with that lineup. I have to think Indy is going to demand Brown or Smart though as well as Crowder and the first.

Think Bogut might be toast, but would gladly take him if he had ANYTHING left..

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Sign bogut

IT.       Smart
AB        Jaylen
George   Galinari
Horford   jerebko
Bogut      KO

You won't get George for that....

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
This is all factual, and getting an established top player almost invariably beats any sort of pick you can throw in a deal.

Paul George top 10 player? Not factual... there's been recent picks that are now outperforming him in the present(contributing to him not being a top 10 player anymore) like Giannis. Let's not act like this is still 2013 and this guy didn't break his leg into pieces and he hasn't been underperforming since. Because THAT my friend, is what's factual.

Well that might be the only reason we even have a prayer of getting him. Face it, to get another's team star in a trade there's going to be baggage. KG was a bit past it, Cousins is functionally insane..

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
My stomach hurts.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wojo just said Boston isn't close on any deal for Butler or PG

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's factual but if he walks in 18 months, it also defeats the purpose of what the Celtics have been trying to do here since the PP/KG trade.

You have to take those kinds of risks if you want to put together a contender, though.

If the Celts are mostly focused on winning 45+ games every year for the next decade, by all means keep the picks.

If the plan is actually to try to contend for a title in the next five years, they have to be willing to trade picks and prospects for a final piece type of guy, and I believe George is that caliber of player.

Again, it comes down to "it depends". 

What you're actually giving up for that "final piece guy" has a major impact on the team's contendership following the trade.  If you give up too many pieces, plateau in the '17 & '18 conference finals, and he walks in summer '18 then you have yourself a serious problem.    This team might already be conference finals bound without giving up any pieces and they'd have more pieces coming in this summer via draft/free agency/trade market.  A situation that could very well set up them up for serious contendership for the next 5-8 years. 

It's awfully risky to pull off if he doesn't stick around.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Wojo just said Boston isn't close on any deal for Butler or PG

Flop. Bust. Fizzle. Sham. Implode.Collapse. I'll bet even Gallo will collapse.

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You're not building a contender before Isaiah / Horford are in their mid-30s without taking a major risk, is what I'm saying.

I just don't think it happens.

If you want to play it safe and build the youth up around those guys, then this team is a bridge to that future young team.  That future young team will have a lot of draft talent, but it may not be better than the team we have now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain