Author Topic: Woj update . cs and Indy  (Read 19668 times)

Re: Woj update . cs and Indy
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ainge's behavior at trade deadline is the same this year as last year. Setting unrealistic heights, ignoring real team needs. Result: zero.
I wouldn't exactly say the result was zero.

There were results.

IT got way better

Smart got way better

Avery got way better

Rozier got better

We added Jaylen

We added Zizic

We added Yab

We kept cap space and added Horford.

This team got better

Those are the results of not making a trade at the deadline last year

Exactly, TP Eja. Also, the Nets pick, which we kept last year, got way better too.

Rebounding issues still stayed the same.

Lack of interior defense still stayed the same.

We still haven't a true second option next to IT.

In fact, these have been long term issues going back to the KG/Pierce days. At some point, Danny has to address these weaknesses. Yes, we are a good team and will make the playoffs. But if I'm Cleveland and Toronto, I'm not scared of us in the playoffs. The game plan against us is simple and has been for some time: trap and double IT to take the ball out of his hands and crash the boards.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ainge's behavior at trade deadline is the same this year as last year. Setting unrealistic heights, ignoring real team needs. Result: zero.
I wouldn't exactly say the result was zero.

There were results.

IT got way better

Smart got way better

Avery got way better

Rozier got better

We added Jaylen

We added Zizic

We added Yab

We kept cap space and added Horford.

This team got better

Those are the results of not making a trade at the deadline last year

Exactly, TP Eja. Also, the Nets pick, which we kept last year, got way better too.

In fact, these have been long term issues going back to the KG/Pierce days. At some point, Danny has to address these weaknesses. Yes, we are a good team and will make the playoffs. But if I'm Cleveland and Toronto, I'm not scared of us in the playoffs. The game plan against us is simple and has been for some time: trap and double IT to take the ball out of his hands and crash the boards.

The KG/Pierce team won a title and came [dang] close to another one.

This current team is winning (#2 in the East with two top tier draft picks coming soon).

Neither team would have had the success they did/do if they didn't sacrifice rebounding and a defensive center for more mobility on defense, better perimeter defense, better perimeter shooting to spread the floor, and more ball-handling.  Ainge knows something about what wins in today's NBA.

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Marc SteinVerified account‏@ESPNSteinLine  1m1 minute ago
More
 ESPN sources say Indy ownership felt compelled to hear out Paul George suitors but that Larry Bird was determined to swat away all pitches.

Lol, Bird is a baaaaaaaaaad GM. He's great at drafting though. He's going to trade George for less in the summer, or he's going to end up losing him for nothing. Should be glad he isn't our GM at least.

Bird made a big mistake not accepting a reasonable offer for George from the Celtics. He's going to lose him to the Lakers in a year for nothing with that stupid player option--if they want him.

Timing is everything. He muffed his chance.

Something tells me even Ainge was afraid of that too.

People thought he was stupid at first NOT offering a Nets pick in return.

But can you imagine if he did that, and PG13 DID bolt for the Lakers 1.5 years later..

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This current team is winning (#2 in the East with two top tier draft picks coming soon).

Neither team would have had the success they did/do if they didn't sacrifice rebounding and a defensive center for more mobility on defense, better perimeter defense, better perimeter shooting to spread the floor, and more ball-handling.  Ainge knows something about what wins in today's NBA.

The difference between the first championship and the almost second championship was Perk. Let's not revise history. We were out rebounded 53-40 in game 7 in 2010. The games that we won in that series, we either kept it close (35-34) or beat them on the boards flat out (44-39 and 41-34).

Aside from the the 08 title, we were always looking for more rebounding/strengthening the big man rotation to push us over the top. Hence Mikki Moore, Troy Murphy, Shaq, Rasheed Wallace, chasing and losing David West.

I never said this isn't a good team. It is. But this a good team with serious holes that will prevent us from being a great team.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

The difference between the first championship and the almost second championship was Perk. Let's not revise history. We were out rebounded 53-40 in game 7 in 2010. The games that we won in that series, we either kept it close (35-34) or beat them on the boards flat out (44-39 and 41-34).

Aside from the the 08 title, we were always looking for more rebounding/strengthening the big man rotation to push us over the top. Hence Mikki Moore, Troy Murphy, Shaq, Rasheed Wallace, chasing and losing David West.

I never said this isn't a good team. It is. But this a good team with serious holes that will prevent us from being a great team.

How quickly we forget about James Posey, our super 6th man who was on the floor in every key moment and crunch time situation that year instead of Perkins as Doc went small with KG at center.

It worked.

Losing Posey and Tony Allen was the difference in winning another title much more than losing Perkins.

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

How quickly we forget about James Posey, our super 6th man who was on the floor in every key moment and crunch time situation that year instead of Perkins as Doc went small with KG at center.

It worked.

Losing Posey and Tony Allen was the difference in winning another title much more than losing Perkins.

Kevin Garnett was DPOY that year, averaged 10.5 rebounds in the '08 playoffs, and 13 rebounds in the Finals. It's much easier to go small and win at a high level when you have a future Hall of Famer who can singlehandedly mask your biggest weaknesses.

If Al Horford can step up and make a KG-level impact, that changes things. The likelihood of that just doesn't seem to be based in reality, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:29:28 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Woj just had something on the tweets today that said Hayward was a FA target for the Celtics. Most had guessed all along this was so, but Woj is just putting his imprint on it. He also had previously said a Butler deal was likely at the trade deadline, FWIW.

Woj  added that he didn't think it had anything to do with Ainge's inactivity at the trade deadline. I have to wonder about that. Signing Hayward for $30M or so is going to be a tight fit for Ainge, and maybe he just didn't want to mess with the roster.

I can easily see a scenario where he signs Hayward, drafts a top guard with the Nets pick, unloads AJ, Zeller, KO, etc. Revamps up front with Zizic and the French kid. The only conflict is Crowder vs Hayward at the 3. Maybe Hayward plays the 2 and Bradley gets traded.

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

It worked.

Grousbeck went cheap, and cost the Celtics at least one more banner.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

It worked.

More likely, it was all of these players, with Powe added for OR. The Championship team was 8-9 deep with a number of role players. Very strong D. Red always said he needed 8 solid players to win a Championship. The 08 team had it, then gave it up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:07:29 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It worked.

More likely, it was all of these players, with Powe added for OR. The Championship team was 8-9 deep with a number of role players. Very strong D. Red always said he needed 8 solid players to win a Championship. The 08 team had it, then gave it up.
the 2010 team that lost to the Lakers in the Finals had a pretty solid 8 deep rotation, though losing Perk in the Finals hurt a lot.   Even the 2011 team had a pretty solid 8 man rotation in the playoffs, the big 3 were just too old by then.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It worked.

Grousbeck went cheap, and cost the Celtics at least one more banner.
perhaps, but I dont care how much depth we had, we werent winning in '09 after the Garnett injury.

Paying for Posey could have given us a title in '10 but by then Posey was old and washed up.

Tony Allen probably would have made a difference, but he wanted a bigger role more than he wanted money. That was my understanding at least.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.