Author Topic: Annual reminder: We are not out of the woods at exactly 3:00 pm today  (Read 2457 times)

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Just a quick reminder to everybody:

If we hear nothing by 3:00 pm, it doesn't mean a deal wasn't called into the NBA league office at 2:59 for league approval.  I think (I could be wrong) some rather complicated deals at the wire were not publicly announced until 6 or 7pm (4 or 5 pm might be more typical).

Some years Danny announces shortly after 3 pm that no deals were made, "nothing out there to the C's liking", etc.

But if we have heard nothing by 3:00, and there are no statements from Celtics brass shortly thereafter (i.e. Danny hiding at Chipotle not answering his phone); I recommend we all fasten our seat belts.

Good luck everybody (my boss is not at work today  :) :D ;D)

Re: Annual reminder: We are not out of the woods at exactly 3:00 pm today
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah the perk deal wasn't announced till late that year. I remember that well unfortunately 😢

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think Danny has a Golf date at 1pm. Nothing is happening..at 3, or 4, or 5 or maybe until next year's deadline.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Correct. Like two years ago when every reporter was saying at 2:59 "No deals this year" and then at 3:05 "oh wait there's a 25 team-150 player trade in the works"!

And yeah there's always the "oh yeah we forgot there's also this trade" at 6 pm.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I think Danny has a Golf date at 1pm. Nothing is happening..at 3, or 4, or 5 or maybe until next year's deadline.

I think he's out on the golf course now. Two days from now, there will be an article about how there were never any serious discussions about Butler or George.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I think he's out on the golf course now. Two days from now, there will be an article about how there were never any serious discussions about Butler or George.

Mike

Butler or George could be in a Celtics jersey and there still would have been no serious discussions about either player.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
I think the IT deal was a little late also, if not right at the buzzer.
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah the perk deal wasn't announced till late that year. I remember that well unfortunately 😢

Yeah, that one stung.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Holding on to my seat. Hoping for the best
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The term "out of the woods" makes me chuckle, for its negative connotations about any deal.

Nonetheless, I strongly suspect the anti-improvement folks are "out of the woods" as we speak.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Yeah, that one stung.

Our slim hopes of one  last run with our stars  , Rondos soul destroyed .... based on Jeff green as the salvation of a new era.   Danny sucked the life out of the Celtics that day .

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol ..... this is a great thread.

Shows the level of anxiety attached to the NBA trade deadline. Only the most anxious frets will look for a way to extend their anxiety.

lol @ 'we are not out of the woods at exactly 3:00 pm today'.

Just like when you hit that go ahead three but left too much time on the clock for your opponent or the refs to go to work.

OR

Llike Falcons were not out of the woods after the took that 28 point third quarter lead. TP to the OP.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The term "out of the woods" makes me chuckle, for its negative connotations about any deal.

Nonetheless, I strongly suspect the anti-improvement folks are "out of the woods" as we speak.

To the first part of your post, that's exactly what I was thinking. I must not care too much about the current roster staying intact, because I have no fear of the trade deadline. ;D

And to the second part of your post, I think you're right. I can't say I'll be surprised if Danny makes a deal (whether small or large), but I'd kinda be surprised (if that makes sense). Danny tends to make the most noise when it's quietest.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis