Author Topic: Why isn't there more between us and the 76ers?  (Read 2845 times)

Why isn't there more between us and the 76ers?
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Not sure of the politics of the trade season,  but why isn't there more between us and the 76ers. In the off-season we were linked to so many of their players for me to believe that interest has totally fallen flat.

For the right price I still have interest in Okafor as a player with potential at a position of need. Noel is always on our radar and can readily be re-signed if we were serious by simply not re-signing Amir and Zeller and carrying over Zizic on his rookie deal. I even feel we have a shot at Ben Simmons, if we're willing to part with our 2017 Nets pick. This draft has 2 or 3 PG gems, but with several teams about to enter tank-mode and the emergence of Embiid, Philly's pick may not even be top-10. They already have a sound front court without Simmons and I'm sure would much rather groom their PG of the future than add another piece to that front court.

So with all that... why isn't there more?

Re: Why isn't there more between us and the 76ers?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Okafor sucks and Philly knows it.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Okafor sucks and Philly knows it.

I'm not sure if they know it, based upon some of the trade rumors. For instance, offering Okafor for KCP? Or, I guess more accurately, they know he stinks but are trying to pull the wool over everybody else's eyes. All it takes is one sucker, I suppose.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Stein reporting that Okafor's preferred trade destination is Chicago.

Three team deal possible with BOS involved?

Chicago gets picks, Okafor (building block) and maybe another few players.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
 Could the latest Philly trade be another tank mode deal, i.e, Ilyasova for an aging Splitter. The 76ers already have a glut of centers.

Or, is it more likely this deal is a prelude to trading Okafor? We may find out today....

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ignoring any specific possible trades, if the team was talking to Philly we might not know it. We're pretty good at not leaking anything when we want to.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I doubt Ainge is that interested.

He apparently didn't want cousins because of attitude issues.
He apparently isn't interestred in a guy like Monroe because he doesn't shoot threes.
He apparently isn't interested in Melo (I assume because he dosn't defend and needs the ball in his hands)

Okafor has attitude issues, doesn't shoot threes, doesn't defend, doesn't rebound AND needs the ball in his hands to be productive.

And he has the agility of an 80 year old broke-back tortoise.

Can't imagine Ainge would have much interest in him for any reason beyond sheer curiosity (due to his youth and size)  - and knowing the way Ainge overvalues his assets, I can't imagine he'd be willing to give much up for curiosity.

He'd probably throw a lowball offer (maybe the Celtics own 1st rounder and Zeller, if that) and if they say no he's likely to say "ok fine" and walk away.

If he wouldn't give up Crowder for Jimmy Butler, I don't see him giving up much at all for Okafor.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Could the latest Philly trade be another tank mode deal, i.e, Ilyasova for an aging Splitter. The 76ers already have a glut of centers.

Or, is it more likely this deal is a prelude to trading Okafor? We may find out today....

Ilyasova NOT traded for an aging Splitter.  Ilyasova was traded for a 2nd round pick and the ability to swap other 2nd round picks. 

Splitter was included for salary purposes, but he doesn't even play anymore.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149

Ilyasova NOT traded for an aging Splitter.  Ilyasova was traded for a 2nd round pick and the ability to swap other 2nd round picks. 

TP: Thanks for the info....then it's more tank mode crap. The NBA is a sham....

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Ignoring any specific possible trades, if the team was talking to Philly we might not know it. We're pretty good at not leaking anything when we want to.
This is what I was thinking. Danny always seems to have a ton of irons in the fire. Some of them just sit there but if he does wing up pulling one out, it won't necessarily be one the media has been talking about.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:12:05 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

This is exactly what I've been thinking. There's so much smoke about Okafor and Chicago, yet Philly doesn't like there picks/players. I know we have stuff Philly would take for Okafor. There must be a way Ainge can leverage this to help pry Butler out of Chicago.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »

Offline celtsfan18

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 5

This is exactly what I've been thinking. There's so much smoke about Okafor and Chicago, yet Philly doesn't like there picks/players. I know we have stuff Philly would take for Okafor. There must be a way Ainge can leverage this to help pry Butler out of Chicago.

Maybe Rozier and picks for Okafor, then Okafor, Bradley, and BKN18 for Jimmy Butler? That should be enough.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
K.C. JohnsonVerified account
‏@KCJHoop

Bulls have shown no inclination to this point of including 1st rd pick, along w/ player, 76ers have been seeking for Okafor. Niko available.

Not sure whether the hang-up is the player or the pick, CHI supposedly peddling a number of players (Taj, McBuckets, Mirotic),

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:35:03 AM by colincb »

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The trade's a talent downgrade but Ilyasova's a journeyman, he's not going to swing many games for you. And now they have more minutes to give Saric, which arguably makes them better now and is definitely smarter for the long run.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

They want Splitter to provide some guidance for Embiid and whichever backup center remains.  Plus, Simmons is coming back soon and would take almost all of Ilyasova's minutes and thus would just be riding the pine.  Better to get some value now than have a guy rot on the bench and then leave in free agency.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip