Poll

Will Danny make a significant move? (i.e., Butler, George, Drummond)

Yes, Xmas in February
6 (11.8%)
No, pipe-dreaming
45 (88.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**  (Read 13991 times)

Re: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Bulpett says Danny likely staying put. Don't expect trade for Bogut either.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/bulpett_it_appears_celtics_boss_danny_ainge_will_hold_onto_his_future_assets
I don't like this BUT I do believe Bulpett and he's right more often than not. Its starting to look grim.

Better to stand pat than do something stupid. I expect nothing big and maybe nothing at all.

2nd in the East with the best odds at the #1 pick. No need for desperation spending just because we have money in our pockets.

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Nothing major. The can gets kicked down the road. Again.

It will be interesting to see, though, if Ainge quits on this season and fails to address the fatal flaws - rebounding and defense - of this current group.
if ainge quitting on this season means not giving up assets for mediocre players, then I'm all for it

Yeah. Unused assets win games.

I wonder when the Green Teamers are going to figure out that all they do is save ownership money.

Yeah, those darn "Green Teamers" (is this the new "tankers/anti-tankers" type label? I thought we outgrew that ****) that want Danny to build a team capable of winning a championship instead of spending all our assets and flexibility on a 2nd rate star like Butler sure are ridiculous. Can't they see that we could win a couple of playoff series the next couple of years if we just traded everything for Butler? Who cares if that handcuffs the team for the next few years, we need to follow in the footsteps of REAL contenders like the 2010-11 Knicks.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing major. The can gets kicked down the road. Again.

It will be interesting to see, though, if Ainge quits on this season and fails to address the fatal flaws - rebounding and defense - of this current group.
if ainge quitting on this season means not giving up assets for mediocre players, then I'm all for it

Yeah. Unused assets win games.

I wonder when the Green Teamers are going to figure out that all they do is save ownership money.

Yeah, those darn "Green Teamers" (is this the new "tankers/anti-tankers" type label? I thought we outgrew that ****) that want Danny to build a team capable of winning a championship instead of spending all our assets and flexibility on a 2nd rate star like Butler sure are ridiculous. Can't they see that we could win a couple of playoff series the next couple of years if we just traded everything for Butler? Who cares if that handcuffs the team for the next few years, we need to follow in the footsteps of REAL contenders like the 2010-11 Knicks.

Thank you for defining my point in detail.

Nicely done.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I mean, we're already more or less capped out.  Not trading for say, Andrew Bogut, wouldn't save ownership much money because we couldn't get him without sending back matching salary anyway.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Chris Haynes ✔ @ChrisBHaynes
Teams mulling Paul George trade apprehensive knowing he wants to win w/Pacers, Plan B is Lakers. He won't commit longterm outside those two.
10:28 AM - 23 Feb 2017

looks like PG13 will not commit to anyone other than LA and IND. I think this ship has sailed.

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I mean, we're already more or less capped out.  Not trading for say, Andrew Bogut, wouldn't save ownership much money because we couldn't get him without sending back matching salary anyway.

So we won't trade for Bogut because we won't improve our salary position? I thought we were supposed to make trades that helped us win games.

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

So we won't trade for Bogut because we won't improve our salary position? I thought we were supposed to make trades that helped us win games.

Was responding to the fellow who was claiming we weren't making moves because ownership wanted to save money.

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Was responding to the fellow who was claiming we weren't making moves because ownership wanted to save money.

Oh okay. Got it. I thought Bogut was a no brainer improvement for this year that shouldn't impact our core team. Thanks

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Oh okay. Got it. I thought Bogut was a no brainer improvement for this year that shouldn't impact our core team. Thanks

Two 2nd rounders for Bogut, Tucker, Gibson, Green etc. really is a no brainer move and I hope we make it if a big trade doesn't materialize.

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Celtics Twitter is as dead as it can be. I think this is a wrap ladies and gentlemen...

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Not even hearing any Melo rumors anymore. This is really frustrating. I wish Danny would just tell us the truth that he doesn't want to overpay and he feels that the draft picks will make us a much better and a more long term contender.

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Chris Haynes ✔ @ChrisBHaynes
Teams mulling Paul George trade apprehensive knowing he wants to win w/Pacers, Plan B is Lakers. He won't commit longterm outside those two.
10:28 AM - 23 Feb 2017

looks like PG13 will not commit to anyone other than LA and IND. I think this ship has sailed.

People are silly if they believe this reporter. I remember when Westbrook, Love, etc wanted to sign with the Lakers...Also, does it not matter who the reporter is anymore?

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
It's interesting to me that it wasn't too many years ago that people were complaining the Celtics never get the top overall pick in the draft and now we have a serious chance of drafting a stud, L. Ball. I say do a minor trade for a rebounder and wait until after the lottery to trade the pick. Ball would fit great on the Celtics. He also gives us insurance if we don't want to pay IT or if he walks which I don't think he does. My prediction is that Stevens and Ainge love Ball and the possibility of building something long term. Don't trade the 17 bk pick ! Not yet at least.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Bogut won't be traded for because he is pretty unlikely to help our team.  That is where your assumption is way off.  Not only has he been unable to reliably stay on the court, which is a common problem, he's also shooting only 47%, which is horrendous for someone who attempts about 95% of his shots in the paint.  He's shooting 27% from the line.  He can still rebound, but it's unclear if that's a skill at this point or a function of his lack of mobility just keeping him near the basket on every possession.  His game is quickly falling apart, and his body has been falling apart for years.

He's a candidate to be signed if he's bought out, "candidate" being the key word there, but nothing more at this time.  Tyler Zeller is more useful than Andrew Bogut at this time in their respective careers, and that's a statement about Bogut more than Zeller.  When Bogut is not traded for, please don't be the slightest bit surprised or disappointed.  He's not even the injured Andrew Bogut you remember.  His time left in the league looks to be rapidly diminishing.

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
For Celtic pride- I have to give you a TP for the banner alone. That is priceless!