Poll

Will Danny make a significant move? (i.e., Butler, George, Drummond)

Yes, Xmas in February
6 (11.8%)
No, pipe-dreaming
45 (88.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**  (Read 13916 times)

Re: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.celticshub.com/2017/02/21/avery-bradley-trade-celtics-make/

It does seem that keeping Bradley and Thomas past this summer could be tricky. Had be wondering whether Avery could be in a deal tomorrow.

In addition to the Pacers, I could see him ending up on the Clips, Suns, Twolves, Thunder, Bucks, Grizz, or Pistons.

No need to trade Bradley now, unless it's upgrading to someone better.  Even if we miss out tomorrow, he'll still be more valuable as a trade piece for a star over the summer than the collection we'd get in this trade.  Furthermore, if Miles opts in next year, we'd actually have less cap space after this trade than before it, making pursuing a max free agent more difficult.

Bradley should only be traded if it's for a star now or in the summer, or to create room for a max free agent in the summer. Moving him for parts makes no sense. Even if he ultimately walks after next year, he's a very useful player in the meantime.

Maybe so. What about something like this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrquzgf

Pacers send their 2017 1st and 2018 2nd to the Cs. Cs send the MIN & LAC 2017 2nds to the Nets.

Same problem as the other one.  We increase payroll next season and get a less valuable salary for trading.  Again, it's okay to draft a guard with a top 4 pick, let him apprentice for a year, and then let AB walk.

Difference in their salaries for 2017-18 is $300K. But I hear you.

Plus the cap hold for the pick, which is around $2 million.  As it stands, we're $1-3 million away from max room (depending on lottery luck).  Even the $300k could matter, and the draft pick definitely could get in the way.  Not to mention, we look to have at least 3 rookies on the roster next year.  I'm not sure there's much to gain by adding yet another.  There are only so many roster spots an available minutes.

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

It does seem that keeping Bradley and Thomas past this summer could be tricky. Had be wondering whether Avery could be in a deal tomorrow.

In addition to the Pacers, I could see him ending up on the Clips, Suns, Twolves, Thunder, Bucks, Grizz, or Pistons.

No need to trade Bradley now, unless it's upgrading to someone better.  Even if we miss out tomorrow, he'll still be more valuable as a trade piece for a star over the summer than the collection we'd get in this trade.  Furthermore, if Miles opts in next year, we'd actually have less cap space after this trade than before it, making pursuing a max free agent more difficult.

Bradley should only be traded if it's for a star now or in the summer, or to create room for a max free agent in the summer. Moving him for parts makes no sense. Even if he ultimately walks after next year, he's a very useful player in the meantime.

Pacers send their 2017 1st and 2018 2nd to the Cs. Cs send the MIN & LAC 2017 2nds to the Nets.

Same problem as the other one.  We increase payroll next season and get a less valuable salary for trading.  Again, it's okay to draft a guard with a top 4 pick, let him apprentice for a year, and then let AB walk.

Plus the cap hold for the pick, which is around $2 million.  As it stands, we're $1-3 million away from max room (depending on lottery luck).  Even the $300k could matter, and the draft pick definitely could get in the way.  Not to mention, we look to have at least 3 rookies on the roster next year.  I'm not sure there's much to gain by adding yet another.  There are only so many roster spots an available minutes.

I was looking at the pick acquisition as an asset to trade, not likely to keep. But although I like Booker, im hardly married to this one.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:34 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I was looking at the pick acquisition as an asset to trade, not likely to keep. But although I like Booker, im hardly married to this one.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 02:16:06 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Still hoping for Melo.

A WEEI article says it's still a possibility.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2017/02/22/celtics-rumors-cs-reportedly-not-closing-door-on-acquiring-carmelo-anthony-from-knicks/

It's interesting to consider, and I'm sure he'd put up good stats in BOS.  That he can walk after next season is concerning, though.  Doubt a max FA will sign here, but we would lose the opportunity to make offers to guys like Hayward, too.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 02:21:54 AM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
Gimme butler, bogut, and tucker

It/smart/rozier
Butler/smart/green
Crowder/Brown/tucker
KO/jerebko
Horford/bogut
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
It's going to be Melo and Bogut. I think Danny will trade expiring pieces and smaller assets to do it too.

Zeller and 2nd Rounders = Bogut

Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey, Young, and a protected 1st rounder = Melo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:20:28 AM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:21 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's going to be Melo and Bogut. I think Danny will trade expiring pieces and smaller assets to do it too.

Zeller and 2nd Rounders

For Bogut

Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey, Young, and a protected or non Nets 1st rounder.

If the C's can get Melo and Bogut without giving up both Brooklyn picks along with IT4, Smart, Crowder, and Horford...I'm all in.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Celtics will NOT  make any deals is my prediction
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think there is a very real chance we make a deal and it will be at the deadline so CLE has no time to make their own deal or react to it.

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I think we'll get Paul George at the last minute while giving up Bradley and the '17 Brooklyn pick along with a minor trade to bolster the bench.

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:02 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Bogut+Tucker and we're good to go.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I will be waiting and waiting and waiting for some announcement like last year. 3pm will pass and nothing and I am thinking they just need to sort out the deal to make sure it works before it is announced. Coming up on 4pm and nothing until someone tweets a picture of Danny playing golf. Then I will realize how much of a fool I am for sitting at my computer and going to all these rumor sites and refreshing pages and wasting my life. My next major date with my computer will be during the finals when the ping pong balls decide our fate. It just goes on and on and on. We have so many assets and we just don't use them. I still believe in Danny.

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bring out ya dead

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm guessing a shrewd little more for a backup. Bogut or Tucker or someone not talked about in rumors.

Just kidding. Everyone has been talked about in rumors.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008