Poll

Will Danny make a significant move? (i.e., Butler, George, Drummond)

Yes, Xmas in February
6 (11.8%)
No, pipe-dreaming
45 (88.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**  (Read 13990 times)

Re: **Unofficial, Official '17 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread**
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think it'll be small stuff.

Zeller, Jackson, and a 2nd for Tucker and Barbosa.
Mickey and the Cleveland 2nd for Terrence Jones.

We potentially release one of Young or Green if Bogut is released and we're able to sign him.

You've been consistent with this idea.  I haven't seen any other proposals/rumors re: Tucker aside from Cs "deep interest," so if you're right it will be duly impressive.

Tucker just seems like the type of player Ainge would like.  He plays the swing, which I'm sure Brad would like another of, he's an expiring, and the price should be a second-round pick.  Zeller makes a fair bit more than Tucker, so I thought that Ainge wouldn't want to waste the opportunity to add a little more salary in the deal.  Barbosa is non-guaranteed next year, has already been a Celtics, and is a bench scorer who can play the point.  So he seemed like a good fit, and Jackson is the obvious player to send in return.

I probably won't be right, but that just seems like a deal that needs to happen from both sides.  It doesn't cost the Celtics anything they'll miss from a long-term perspective, Zeller is only on the fringe of the rotation, and Jackson in the D-league, so it doesn't require Brad to revamp his rotations all that much, aside getting from Tucker regular minutes (which won't be that hard.)  Barbosa will probably get a fair bit of DNP-CD's, but he gives the team more depth in case our injury bug continues to hang around.  And Phoenix gets some more assets for a lost season while continuing to have a tanking battle with LA, while not taking on any salary for next season.

Meanwhile, a lot of other potential destinations (Atlanta, Washington, Toronto) have made their moves, so the options for Phoenix to send Tucker should be narrowing.

Win-win.

EDIT:  Tweets like this further my expectation:

Adam Himmelsbach Verified account
‏@AdamHimmelsbach

As I said Tues, if Cs don't get big hit, they've identified group of guys who could provide bench help but don't plan to offer a 1st-rd pick
4:51 PM - 22 Feb 2017
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:43:00 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I will play:

Celtics get Jimmy Butler for a package revolving around a Nets pick, Bradley, Brown and other picks and filler. We might also get Taj Gibson.

The Celtics pick up Bogut and Tucker in two other separate trades for end of the bench players and picks.

Celticblog goes nuts because the Celtics traded a Nets pick, other picks and Brown while thinking we sacrificed our future and have no chance of winning a title in the next two years.

OR

The Celtics do nothing and Celticsblog goes nuts because we didn't do what I predicted above.

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h7xvvs5

Cs trade 2017 MIN 2nd Round Pick, 2017 LAC 2nd Round Pick, 2018 Celtics 1st Round Pick to The Knicks.

Cs trade the Clippers 2019 1st round pick back to them.

TP for boldness and creativity.  Landing Griffin without giving up a BKN pick would be legendary, but I doubt Doc would think so.

Don't you mean landing Pierce without giving up a BKN pick??
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I will play:

Celtics get Jimmy Butler for a package revolving around a Nets pick, Bradley, Brown and other picks and filler. We might also get Taj Gibson.

The Celtics pick up Bogut and Tucker in two other separate trades for end of the bench players and picks.

Celticblog goes nuts because the Celtics traded a Nets pick, other picks and Brown while thinking we sacrificed our future and have no chance of winning a title in the next two years.

OR

The Celtics do nothing and Celticsblog goes nuts because we didn't do what I predicted above.

TP. Standing pat would be smart, but no one had the patience for that.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I will play:

OR

Hahahaha I Like it!!! TP

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I will play:

OR

honestly this is the most likely scenario
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I will play:

OR

TP. Standing pat would be smart, but no one had the patience for that.
I get what you are saying, but it should be noted that you cant say "standing pat would be smart"

We have a very good team this year. Theyve battle injuries all year long and are just 2 games out of the 1 seed. With Loves injury, a big time acquisition could vault them into the 1 seed which means they would have a legit chance at making the NBA finals with a core that will still be in its prime and together for at least another year and realistically (Isaiah extension) they will all be in their primes or basically in their primes for this year, then 2 or 3  more after that.

Thats a legit chance to win a title. Chances to win a title do NOT come around often.

Now, do you sell the farm for Jimmy Butler or Paul George? no. You have to make good moves. Let the market dictate your path. That is the luxury afforded by the Nets picks. If there is a good move out there, make it. There is 0 gauruntee that in 5 years a Brown/Smart/'17/'18 core is even as good as the team we have today.

Teams like the Raptors dont have that luxury. This is their window, they have to attack now and they just dont have the assets to be credible contenders.

The Clippers are in the same boat. They are locked in. Its the next few years or its nothing for them.

Same with the Hawks. Their future is locked in. They just have to do what they can do get better today, and pray they stumble across a Jimmy Butler with a late draft-pick.

We are so lucky, that we can go attack a ring, but we cant be held over the coals. We can pass on any deal and be OK, but we shouldnt look to pass. We should look to buy. This core is really good.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h7xvvs5

Cs trade 2017 MIN 2nd Round Pick, 2017 LAC 2nd Round Pick, 2018 Celtics 1st Round Pick to The Knicks.

Cs trade the Clippers 2019 1st round pick back to them.

TP for boldness and creativity.  Landing Griffin without giving up a BKN pick would be legendary, but I doubt Doc would think so.

Don't you mean landing Pierce without giving up a BKN pick??

Well-played.  It'd be cool to bring him back for a legit playoff run. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.celticshub.com/2017/02/21/avery-bradley-trade-celtics-make/

It does seem that keeping Bradley and Thomas past this summer could be tricky. Had be wondering whether Avery could be in a deal tomorrow.

In addition to the Pacers, I could see him ending up on the Clips, Suns, Twolves, Thunder, Bucks, Grizz, or Pistons.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 12:23:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

It does seem that keeping Bradley and Thomas past this summer could be tricky. Had be wondering whether Avery could be in a deal tomorrow.

In addition to the Pacers, I could see him ending up on the Clips, Suns, Twolves, Thunder, Bucks, Grizz, or Pistons.

No need to trade Bradley now, unless it's upgrading to someone better.  Even if we miss out tomorrow, he'll still be more valuable as a trade piece for a star over the summer than the collection we'd get in this trade.  Furthermore, if Miles opts in next year, we'd actually have less cap space after this trade than before it, making pursuing a max free agent more difficult.

Bradley should only be traded if it's for a star now or in the summer, or to create room for a max free agent in the summer. Moving him for parts makes no sense. Even if he ultimately walks after next year, he's a very useful player in the meantime.

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'll go with nothing or Jimmy Young and a second or two for PJ Tucker. Alternatively, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bradley move in a non-star deal.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:40 AM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
PHI Out: Okafor, Saric
PHI In:   Bradley, MCW

CHI Out: Butler, MCW
CHI In:   Okafor, Saric, Rozier, Zeller, Yabusele, BRK 2018 #1, BOS 2018 #1, MN 2017 #2

BOS Out:  Bradley, Rozier, Zeller, Yabusele, BRK 2018 #1, BOS 2018 #1, MN 2017 #2.
BOS In:    Butler

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No need to trade Bradley now, unless it's upgrading to someone better.  Even if we miss out tomorrow, he'll still be more valuable as a trade piece for a star over the summer than the collection we'd get in this trade.  Furthermore, if Miles opts in next year, we'd actually have less cap space after this trade than before it, making pursuing a max free agent more difficult.

Bradley should only be traded if it's for a star now or in the summer, or to create room for a max free agent in the summer. Moving him for parts makes no sense. Even if he ultimately walks after next year, he's a very useful player in the meantime.

Maybe so. What about something like this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrquzgf

Pacers send their 2017 1st and 2018 2nd to the Cs. Cs send the MIN & LAC 2017 2nds to the Nets.

But I supposed the same remains true: Bradley is more valuable than the 18th pick in the draft, even if it's a strong one.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Pacers send their 2017 1st and 2018 2nd to the Cs. Cs send the MIN & LAC 2017 2nds to the Nets.

Same problem as the other one.  We increase payroll next season and get a less valuable salary for trading.  Again, it's okay to draft a guard with a top 4 pick, let him apprentice for a year, and then let AB walk.

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 12:42:12 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Same problem as the other one.  We increase payroll next season and get a less valuable salary for trading.  Again, it's okay to draft a guard with a top 4 pick, let him apprentice for a year, and then let AB walk.

Difference in their salaries for 2017-18 is $300K. But I hear you.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)