Author Topic: Idea - Two small trades to help now and future.  (Read 4364 times)

Re: Idea - Two small trades to help now and future.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Stick to poetry.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Sorry hit 2017 Celtics, it was meant for 2018.  But honestly neither of you two couldn't figure that out by the rest of the post that's sad.

Really, you meant the 2018 and not the 2017?
Then why did you state this...

By doing these trades we also are able to keep both Brooklyn picks.

BTW, I think the trade is terrible.   :P

Can I ask, why do you think it's a terrible trade?   We fill a need for the noweekend and the future.  While keeping the core together and actually using the assets we've acquired over the years.

I stated that because you pointed out my typing the wrong year, but the rest of the post being able tell what was meant.

Gallo - who I actually like is very injury prone. I don't want his salary sitting on the injured reserve. And if he is injured I wouldn't expect an opt-out. If he is healthy an opts-out we just lose him after a couple month rental. Faried does nothing for us - he is a one-dimensional player with a salary which handcuffs us. Read the several thousand threads on why Okafor is probably not a good fit here. All these guys even if healthy gets us no further than we can get without any of them. Pass.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
TIMING IS EVERYTHING. The Sixers strive to tank and their misuse of Okafor is ready to be exploited!
Okafor came into the NBA needed conditioning but the Sixers overused him and he was injured his first year. That year he played way too many strings of minutes together and was not nearly as effective as he could have been. Also, the 76'rs have the worst possible system/players for Okafor's skillset/physical.

Okafor would be great for this team and has a ton of potential on both sides of the ball. He is the player I'd be going after, especially with his perceived value being much lower than his actual value. Okafor would be by far the BIGGEST/LONGEST player on this team and would add a huge physical presence on DEFENSE/REBOUNDING.

Don't forget Okafor has:
7'6.5'' WINGSPAN
9'3''    STANDING REACH
SIZE: He also came into the league with physical gifts but like all BIG CENTERS, that enter the NBA at a young age,  he requires conditioning. Good thing is he has a rare combo of natural muscle and footwork/nimble feet/etc.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:17 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I certainly would give Okafor a try if it didn't cost too much. His game may in the future fit this team and make him valuable. Does it help us now? I doubt it. But I want nothing to do with Faried and his salary handcuff. Gallo I would like even for a couple months if I thought he could stay healthy but that is a BIG if.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Can I ask, why do you think it's a terrible trade?

I think it is a terrible trade as well.  I don't think it helps us much getting B listers like Farried and Gallo.   Rather spend the assets on a big fish and not wallow in perpetual mediocrity.

Stick to Poetry, perhaps.

Well Gallinari is just for the rest of the year. Well Faried would be with us for a couple of years. But I think he feels the need that we need, at a relatively cheap cost. Plus giving us the financial flexibility to resign Thomas, Bradley and smart at the end of next year. While keeping both Brooklyn picks. Who would you like to see then go after with the assets we have?

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
This makes us no contenders, while adding salary after this summer. We can't get Hayward, Griffin or Millsap because of a trade that doesn't include a star.

Not interested at all.

Well first we're contending right now.   Personally I don't see any of those Hayward, Griffin or Millsap going anywhere.   Plus I don't see Millsap being "the guy" to get us over the top, specially at a max deal. Plus by signing a player to a max deal it will leave less room to resign players like Smart, Bradley and Thomas at the end of next season.

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
Stick to poetry.

We have a winner, someone who can't put together more then a sentence.  Also someone who can't stay on topic and is probably 10 years old trying to be funny.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I think it is a terrible trade as well.  I don't think it helps us much getting B listers like Farried and Gallo.   Rather spend the assets on a big fish and not wallow in perpetual mediocrity.

Well Gallinari is just for the rest of the year.

How do you know he is just here for the rest of the year. If he is hurt like he usually is by the end of the season why would he take a chance and opt-out?

My opinion is changing and I think my current opinion is PG13 without decimating the roster. Otherwise I think I am content to go with what we have and keep our picks. Of course I would like maybe a couple smaller trades like getting Bogut and/or Terrance Jones. I am not really on the Butler bandwagon if it is too costly. If we can get him and not lose Smart or Crowder I am in (meaning I am willing to part with Bradley).

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
I certainly would give Okafor a try if it didn't cost too much. His game may in the future fit this team and make him valuable. Does it help us now? I doubt it. But I want nothing to do with Faried and his salary handcuff. Gallo I would like even for a couple months if I thought he could stay healthy but that is a BIG if.

Thank you for actually replying with actually thought.  I mean this seriously.  I don't think Okafor in the trade I suggest is to much.  If it's for Rozier, Jerebko and a pick.

As for Gallinari and Faried I agree with you for the most point.  Gallinari is injury prone but I think this trade was worth it.   As I said with Faried he's a lost cost at 12 a year and gives us an instant boost with rebounding and defense.  I know he's not a true center but Horford is only going to get slower and better keeping him at the center.  Plus like I said I like the Faried fit being able to resign Thomas, Bradley and Smart.  But I'd be up for another fit at the power forward if we could get one.  Who would you like to see instead of a top tier guy?

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White

Well Gallinari is just for the rest of the year.

How do you know he is just here for the rest of the year. If he is hurt like he usually is by the end of the season why would he take a chance and opt-out?

My opinion is changing and I think my current opinion is PG13 without decimating the roster. Otherwise I think I am content to go with what we have and keep our picks. Of course I would like maybe a couple smaller trades like getting Bogut and/or Terrance Jones. I am not really on the Butler bandwagon if it is too costly. If we can get him and not lose Smart or Crowder I am in (meaning I am willing to part with Bradley).

I personally just think Gallinari would opt out.   Specially just with the way most players would rather a longer contact with more money.  Plus from what I've read previous he thinks he could get a long term contract which I think he could. 

As for Butler I'm with you not on the bandwagon unless it doesn't cost us the team.   But even then not sure what the price tag would be honestly.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Don't like Gallinari or Faried. I would rather go after better players first. If there are none left, or none available, see what options we have, and maybe go for Gallinari.

Faried is just too undersized and notable offensive weaknesses that Stevens can't fix. He can rebound. But he can't defend enough to stay on the court.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
This makes us no contenders, while adding salary after this summer. We can't get Hayward, Griffin or Millsap because of a trade that doesn't include a star.

Not interested at all.

Well first we're contending right now.   Personally I don't see any of those Hayward, Griffin or Millsap going anywhere.   Plus I don't see Millsap being "the guy" to get us over the top, specially at a max deal. Plus by signing a player to a max deal it will leave less room to resign players like Smart, Bradley and Thomas at the end of next season.

Sorry but no, we are a little better for the year but we are not contending with this trade. We'd not be even close to GSW, even with Durant injured.

And it diminishes our summer options in the last year we're able to sign a max free agent.