Author Topic: Paul George Rumors (Merged)  (Read 26137 times)

Re: Paul George Rumors (Merged)
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I have a feeling we are going to come away with 2 superstars, Drummond and PG13/JB.

Im just praying we can pull it off without parting ways with Smart or Jaylen.

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have a feeling we are going to come away with 2 superstars, Drummond and PG13/JB.

Im just praying we can pull it off without parting ways with Smart or Jaylen.

I don't care. As long as can keep Smart, I'm fine with losing Bradley, Jaylen, or even Crowder...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
what's a parade without a little rain?  ;D

Adam Himmelsbach ✔ @AdamHimmelsbach
Hearing that there have still been no substantial talks between Celtics and either Pacers or Bulls this week.
2:55 PM - 22 Feb 2017

Eh, I don't expect things to get serious until tomorrow afternoon anyways. That's when things get serious and teams start getting serious about offers.

You have to think one of Indy or Chicago blinks and ultimately trades their guy at the last minute in order to claim that Brooklyn pick with as valuable as it is. At this point, though, I do think George is more likely to be traded. He's on a shorter contract, and Indy just realistically doesn't have the assets or ways to really improve the team around him.

It could go the other way too, however.  Bird can now use potentially breaking apart his team by trading Paul George as a way to drive down the price as a buyer in the market.  He can now have a staring contest with the Nets over Lopez, because he's got a very public plan B -- one that permanently removes his team from participating in the Lopez sweepstakes.

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Hearing that there have still been no substantial talks between Celtics and either Pacers or Bulls this week.

Eh, I don't expect things to get serious until tomorrow afternoon anyways. That's when things get serious and teams start getting serious about offers.

You have to think one of Indy or Chicago blinks and ultimately trades their guy at the last minute in order to claim that Brooklyn pick with as valuable as it is. At this point, though, I do think George is more likely to be traded. He's on a shorter contract, and Indy just realistically doesn't have the assets or ways to really improve the team around him.

Indy is one Kawhi Leonard trade (that should not have been made by them) from competing for a championship for the next 5 years.  How can you say it is not realistic?  Bird really screwed up on that trade, and should have been canned a while ago.  Could you imagine if Danny did that?

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
There are too many high level people talking about this for no talks to have occurred.  They've definitely chatted.  I have to imagine that most of the talks are Larry going "BK 17 BK 18 Brown Smart & Crowder please" and Danny going "BK 18 & Bradley & Amir Final Offer."  They're both too good to not play chicken with each other. 

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I have a really hard time believing anything is going to happen.  Imagine trading away Butler/George in his prime to find the BKN pick end up #4?  Seems too risky for two organizations that don't need to rush this decision.

(repeats to self 3x)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 05:12:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Indy is one Kawhi Leonard trade (that should not have been made by them) from competing for a championship for the next 5 years.  How can you say it is not realistic?  Bird really screwed up on that trade, and should have been canned a while ago.  Could you imagine if Danny did that?

LOL imagine if we traded Giannis for Olynyk on draft night. And Olynyk had already played a few years and was a known quantity. The blog would be in constant meltdown for a decade.  ;D

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
I have a really hard time believing anything is going to happen.  Imagine trading away Butler/George in his prime to find the BKN pick end up #4?  Seems too risky for two organizations that don't need to rush this decision.

(repeats to self 3x)

I dont think anything happens for an opposite reason.  Its looking more likely by the day Danny's Brooklyn deal will yield a top 3 (or higher) pick in 3 consecutive drafts.  I suspect he highly values those picks/players and he will have to absolutely rob another team once again to be convinced with parting with any of them.  Celtics could see another decade or longer run at the top of the NBA with how he has set us up.  I dont see him easily deviating from that path.

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

(repeats to self 3x)

It has less to do with where the pick ends up and more to do with the fact that George and Butler are exactly the types of players you hope to draft in the top-10, particularly George.

It wasn't long ago that the 2 best players in the East were Lebron and PG13.  Amazing how quickly people forget that.

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

That's a little unfair to Bird.  At the time of the trade, he had a young team that was looking to take a step forward,  headlined by a 27-year old Danny Granger at small forward who'd had three straight years of scoring 20+ points relatively efficiently.  At the same time, his best point guard was Darren Collison, who while not terrible, has proven to be best suited to a backup role.  If he'd known Granger would get injured the next season and never return to being a useful player, I doubt he makes that trade.  Imagine if Granger hadn't gotten hurt -- perhaps they actually take down the Cavs once.  It's not like Hill was terrible, or left after a season.  He hasn't been Kawhi, but Kawhi shouldn't have been picked 15th according to hindsight.

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

It could go the other way too, however.  Bird can now use potentially breaking apart his team by trading Paul George as a way to drive down the price as a buyer in the market.  He can now have a staring contest with the Nets over Lopez, because he's got a very public plan B -- one that permanently removes his team from participating in the Lopez sweepstakes.

Im not sure how serious their pursuit of Lopez really is. I think Bird knows that Lopez would be a very, very questionable fit on that team next to Turner, and it's more of a desperation move to keep George than anything.

And knowing it could very well backfire and still not convince George to stay, while costing them assets and STILL having to trade George or watch him walk for nothing, I seriously can't see that happening. Bird seems to be much more pragmatic than that. I think he sees the writing on the wall, which is why this is being discussed in the first place.

Imagine that they would trade for Lopez, something like their 2017 pick, Robinson, and salary filler, how much better would they really be? I still see them as first round fodder and not even challenging for home court. Bird surely sees this, too, so why would they compound their asset problems for a ploy that is doubtful to work anyways?

EDIT: Plus, this is probably the last chance Bird has to get this Brooklyn pick. I can't see Danny trading it this summer for only one guaranteed year of George, especially a top-2 pick, let alone if he falls in love with a Fultz or Ball, which happens to GMs around the draft a lot (Winslow).

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

That's a little unfair to Bird.  At the time of the trade, he had a young team that was looking to take a step forward,  headlined by a 27-year old Danny Granger at small forward who'd had three straight years of scoring 20+ points relatively efficiently.  At the same time, his best point guard was Darren Collison, who while not terrible, has proven to be best suited to a backup role.  If he'd known Granger would get injured the next season and never return to being a useful player, I doubt he makes that trade.  Imagine if Granger hadn't gotten hurt -- perhaps they actually take down the Cavs once.  It's not like Hill was terrible, or left after a season.  He hasn't been Kawhi, but Kawhi shouldn't have been picked 15th according to hindsight.

My dig against Larry was unfair. And gratuitous to my response to the guy's post, that it was not realistic to draft great players to complement PG, so might as well deal PG. The fact that, with diligence (and a huge dose of luck), you can in fact draft such guys in the middle of the first round.  Leonard and Greek Freak are the two most recent examples of that.

Sorry, Larry.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:06:26 PM by footey »

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
There are too many high level people talking about this for no talks to have occurred.  They've definitely chatted.  I have to imagine that most of the talks are Larry going "BK 17 BK 18 Brown Smart & Crowder please" and Danny going "BK 18 & Bradley & Amir Final Offer."  They're both too good to not play chicken with each other.

I think that is a good description of the bid/ask.  Danny may at some point also offer up Rozier and Crowder to try and seal the deal. 

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2017, 05:53:34 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Didn't we have al Jefferson Paul pierce and joe Johnson at one time and the #5 pick.  This smells awfully familiar.  I do t know if I wanna rebuild and see what's available when something available now.  At least one Brooklyn pick comes into play.

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Didn't we have al Jefferson Paul pierce and joe Johnson at one time and the #5 pick.  This smells awfully familiar.  I do t know if I wanna rebuild and see what's available when something available now.  At least one Brooklyn pick comes into play.

Joe Johnson was long gone by then.  He was traded in 2002, before Ainge even had the job.