Author Topic: Isn't it simply about costs?  (Read 1448 times)

Isn't it simply about costs?
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No possible trade will get the Celts past the Cavs this year.  But that doesn't mean we should sit back and not do anything.  Trades are all about opportunity, and if we can make our team better now, it only sets us up better in the future as well.  The guys that are left (Butler and George) still have a lot of tread on their tires.  They would still be around (mostly likely) by the time we become legit contenders.  Both of them are plenty good enough to give up either one of the Brooklyn picks, which as of right now are mostly hope and prayer.

So the question comes down to cost.  What ARE you willing to give up for these guys?  Obviously at least one Brooklyn pick.  Most will prefer 2018, but that may not be enough.  I am thinking the 2017 pick, Brown, and salary filler could be enough.  Would be people do that?  Would people throw in Bradley to it done? 

I'm not saying I want to get rid of Brown; or that he doesn't have the chance to be a very good player down the line.  But we're talking about a sure thing now versus projections down the line.  The value is probably fair. 

As for other options, both Brooklyn picks and say, Bradley?  Too much?  I'm sure many will say yes.  But again, we're talking about a sure star that would be the best player on our team (sorry IT). 

So what are you willing to give up?

Re: Isn't it simply about costs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
You are right, but in the end, these moves for big stars will give you a shorter window to be competitive with maybe 2-3 years on their contract. So trading big assests to have one of them and ruining your long term build might be a big mistake.

If you can have a star without giving up what you feel will make you future then go ahead. If not, then keep building quietly.

No one expected us to be 2nd seed that fast in the first place anyway. I think that's the main difference between Danny and the fans. Danny has objectives since the rebuild started a few years ago. We have short term achievements in mind and he does not. Maybe he always planned to be competitive around 2019 and feels super relax about the pace we're at.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Trade assets for Bulter? Or keep assets and sign Hayward?  Or ya know, just give all the SF minutes to Crowder.. who is amazing, and Brown.. our all-star potential.

We absolutely do not need Butler, and no way we will give up 2 of our 4 really good assets to get him.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You are right, but in the end, these moves for big stars will give you a shorter window to be competitive with maybe 2-3 years on their contract. So trading big assests to have one of them and ruining your long term build might be a big mistake.

If you can have a star without giving up what you feel will make you future then go ahead. If not, then keep building quietly.

No one expected us to be 2nd seed that fast in the first place anyway. I think that's the main difference between Danny and the fans. Danny has objectives since the rebuild started a few years ago. We have short term achievements in mind and he does not. Maybe he always planned to be competitive around 2019 and feels super relax about the pace we're at.
The trade off is that there is a lot more uncertainty with the quiet build.  We have no idea where future picks will be, and no idea what they will eventually bring.  We could strike gold; we could strike out (mostly).  So you have the bird in the hand analogy again.  How much is that worth? 

As for free agency, I have two issues with that.  First, we could be left with nothing.  Second, we'll very likely need to overpay contract-wise. 

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Butler at SG and Crowder at SF with Brown backing both up so no Crowder or Brown in the deal.

IT and Smart are untouchable unless getting a top ten player.

Nets 2017 has to have protection Butler is good but not worth a top 3 pick.

So it's Rozier, Zeller, AB and Nets 2017 protected. If they want C's eat more salary I'm OK with adding Young and Wolves second while they can send Mirotic. Saving Bulls another 2 million.
(Give the C's 2018 and Nets 2018 #1 overall protection, if the 2017 Net pick does not convey.)

Starters=IT, Butler, Crowder, AJ, Hordford
Bench=Smart, JB, Green, Jerebko, Mirotic, KO
Reserve=DJ, Mickey

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I like Butler at SG and Crowder at SF with Brown backing both up so no Crowder or Brown in the deal.

So it's Rozier, Zeller, AB and Nets 2017 protected. If they want C's eat more salary I'm OK with adding Young and Wolves second while they can send Mirotic. Saving Bulls another 2 million.
(Give the C's 2018 and Nets 2018 if the 2017 Net pick does not convey.)

Reserve=DJ, Mickey

It's interesting to see how Smart has emerged as untouchable as IT. He has improved, but holding him out only for a top 10 talent?  He's not that good. And I love the guy.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The trade off is that there is a lot more uncertainty with the quiet build.  We have no idea where future picks will be, and no idea what they will eventually bring.  We could strike gold; we could strike out (mostly).  So you have the bird in the hand analogy again.  How much is that worth? 

As for free agency, I have two issues with that.  First, we could be left with nothing.  Second, we'll very likely need to overpay contract-wise.

We wouldn't be left with nothing if we struck out in free agency - we'd be in the exact same position we're in now, with the same assets at our disposal.  There's no reason that you can;t try to sign someone in free agency and then, whether you succeed or strike out, make a deal for Butler. You could have the exact same team as you could if you traded for him now, but have the possibility of having an IT/Hayward/Butler/Horford or IT/Butler/Griffin/Horford big 4.  And that chance is a lot more attractive to me than winning a couple more playoff games this season.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

(Give the C's 2018 and Nets 2018 if the 2017 Net pick does not convey.)

Reserve=DJ, Mickey

It's interesting to see how Smart has emerged as untouchable as IT. He has improved, but holding him out only for a top 10 talent?  He's not that good. And I love the guy.
He isn't that good it's about competing though. You need capable guys still to win. Due to his cost and versatility that raises his value incredibly. PG, SG, SF on offense and all position stopper on D when asked. He is Draymond Green in the making at guard and under control. That's just not something you give up easily.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Cousins would have given Boston a chance to beat Cleveland in a series, but Boston didn't want to give up Brown and the BKN 18 pick to acquire the one man that could have potentially altered a series.  It is clear Boston is significantly overvaluing its own assets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Cousins would have given Boston a chance to beat Cleveland in a series, but Boston didn't want to give up Brown and the BKN 18 pick to acquire the one man that could have potentially altered a series.  It is clear Boston is significantly overvaluing its own assets.

Or Danny just didn't value Boogie that highly.  Which shouldn't be a huge surprise, considering that 27 other GMs didn't, either
I'm bitter.