Author Topic: Not taking on salary beyond this season Danny's key?  (Read 668 times)

Not taking on salary beyond this season Danny's key?
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Cap flexiable is what Danny has been after. We all want a trade weather it be for a big or a star . But if it hinders next offseason is it worth taking on a big contract that's 2 years for an ecf appearance and a loss to Cleveland? I say no not at all that's why I think you will
See a smaller trade like a PJ Tucker. I'm ok with that the rebuild is in good hands and is only getting better with the young core that we have.

Re: Not taking on salary beyond this season Danny's key?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I don't like this thought of waiting for FA. I like the idea of getting a guy that is going to be a FA in 2018 or beyond. It gives the player time to acclimate himself to the team and then it makes it harder for him to leave. i.e. Paul George

During FA anything is possible and you're competing with other teams for various reasons. It's too risky. Get a guy under contract or who's about to be a FA. Let the culture win him over.

George fits better because he can go get a shot and doesn't demand the ball. Butler needs the ball too often. George is also longer and a more versatile defender.

Re: Not taking on salary beyond this season Danny's key?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If we get an FA (Hayward/Griffin) we can still trade for Butler/George afterwards.  That gives us a team that can match up with Golden State.

If we trade first, we cannot get an FA afterwards (and likely won't have the assets to trade for an additional piece.)

"Waiting for FA" is the only way this team can hit its ceiling.  That's why we won't be making a Butler/George trade unless the price is extremely cheap.

Great words from a great man