Author Topic: Lakers Tank Thread  (Read 8567 times)

Re: Lakers Tank Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Id still rather see them keep the pick.

I fear Philly more than them. Sacrilegious, I know.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

But think of Orlando.  If the Lakers keep their pick this year, then Orlando doesn't get a 1st from the Lakers for the Dwight Howard trade 5 years ago.  They've been waiting a long time for that pick.

Re: Lakers in full tank mode
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Important ping pong ball bounces are coming for the Lakers this year. Basically they get Lonzo or Jackson, or wiff completely on first rounders. Haha imagine if they continue to stink and still miss out on their prized pick?

I think I might be rooting for the Lakers for the rest of this year.

I've tried and I just can't do it.  The best I can do is not be upset when they win and even that is a struggle.  I also find it pointless to even think about too much.  The lakers will keep their pick.  Not because of any pro-laker conspiracy but just because that's the way the world works.  Over the long run things will always work out for the lakers.

I think the NBA should ban pick protections. Either trade the pick or don't. This adds a whole new layer of tanking where each year there is a team that has to stay in the bottom 8, has to stay in bottom 10, has to stay in bottom 3. There would still be tanking, but it would not be this extreme if the Lakers kept their pick at 4 or 5.

Agreed -- unnecessary added complication.
Disagree.  Pick protections are a necessary element for trading future picks.  Without them, there would be a lot fewer trades. 

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

But think of Orlando.  If the Lakers keep their pick this year, then Orlando doesn't get a 1st from the Lakers for the Dwight Howard trade 5 years ago.  They've been waiting a long time for that pick.
5 years? wow.

I wonder what the longest delay has ever been? has a team has ever waited a decade to cash in on some picks they traded for?

Re: Lakers sitting healthy players to tank
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18911909/los-angeles-lakers-shut-luol-deng-timofey-mozgov-remainder-season

Full on tank mode now sitting Deng and Mozgov for the rest of the year despite both being fully healthy (or at least healthy enough to play).

Neither have been good this year.  Mozgov has a PER of 12.3, and the Lakers are 1.8 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Meanwhile Deng has an eFG% in Marcus Smart territory, and a PER of 10.1.  If those two had played anywhere near their level of play in recent years, the Lakers would have won more games and tanking for a bottom 3 record wouldn't be an option.

The bigger story is that each are signed for 3 more years, and combined take up nearly 1/3 of the salary cap.  It's going to really hinder their ability to make major signings or trades for a few more years.
Yeah those were bad signings when they were made and I think pretty much everyone knew it and said as much (like national writers).  As Clay points out they are challenging the signing of Noah for the worst contracts in the league.

That said, it does seem strange that the Lakers are this obviously tanking (it is of course the right move for them, but man it is obvious).  I mean the Sixers didn't even resort to resting of healthy players for no other reason than a few extra minutes of playing time for some young players. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Lakers in full tank mode
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Important ping pong ball bounces are coming for the Lakers this year. Basically they get Lonzo or Jackson, or wiff completely on first rounders. Haha imagine if they continue to stink and still miss out on their prized pick?

I think I might be rooting for the Lakers for the rest of this year.

I've tried and I just can't do it.  The best I can do is not be upset when they win and even that is a struggle.  I also find it pointless to even think about too much.  The lakers will keep their pick.  Not because of any pro-laker conspiracy but just because that's the way the world works.  Over the long run things will always work out for the lakers.

I think the NBA should ban pick protections. Either trade the pick or don't. This adds a whole new layer of tanking where each year there is a team that has to stay in the bottom 8, has to stay in bottom 10, has to stay in bottom 3. There would still be tanking, but it would not be this extreme if the Lakers kept their pick at 4 or 5.

Agreed -- unnecessary added complication.
Disagree.  Pick protections are a necessary element for trading future picks.  Without them, there would be a lot fewer trades.
Yeah very few teams would trade a 1st round pick, even one for the next draft, unless they were sure they were going to be good.  Trades would still happen, because they happen now, but there would just be a lot less of them because you wouldn't want to be the guy that traded away the pick that became Kyrie Irving (see Mo Williams for Baron Davis and an unprotected 1st). 

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

5 years? wow.

I wonder what the longest delay has ever been? has a team has ever waited a decade to cash in on some picks they traded for?

The most you're allowed to wait is 7 drafts.  That's why if the Lakers keep their pick this year, Orlando is hosed.  Philly would get next year's, and since you can't have traded a pick for two consecutive years (that's a sloppy version of the rule but it's functionally correct here) the Lakers keep the pick in 2019.  But since that's 7 years, Orlando will only get second round picks instead.

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18911909/los-angeles-lakers-shut-luol-deng-timofey-mozgov-remainder-season

Full on tank mode now sitting Deng and Mozgov for the rest of the year despite both being fully healthy (or at least healthy enough to play).

Neither have been good this year.  Mozgov has a PER of 12.3, and the Lakers are 1.8 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Meanwhile Deng has an eFG% in Marcus Smart territory, and a PER of 10.1.  If those two had played anywhere near their level of play in recent years, the Lakers would have won more games and tanking for a bottom 3 record wouldn't be an option.

The bigger story is that each are signed for 3 more years, and combined take up nearly 1/3 of the salary cap.  It's going to really hinder their ability to make major signings or trades for a few more years.
Yeah those were bad signings when they were made and I think pretty much everyone knew it and said as much (like national writers).  As Clay points out they are challenging the signing of Noah for the worst contracts in the league.

That said, it does seem strange that the Lakers are this obviously tanking (it is of course the right move for them, but man it is obvious).  I mean the Sixers didn't even resort to resting of healthy players for no other reason than a few extra minutes of playing time for some young players.

No, the Sixers just drafted players they knew would be hurt so they didn't have to make that decision to sit at the end.   ;D

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

5 years? wow.

The most you're allowed to wait is 7 drafts.  That's why if the Lakers keep their pick this year, Orlando is hosed.  Philly would get next year's, and since you can't have traded a pick for two consecutive years (that's a sloppy version of the rule but it's functionally correct here) the Lakers keep the pick in 2019.  But since that's 7 years, Orlando will only get second round picks instead.

So has it actually happened before?  Or would this be unprecedented?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, the Sixers just drafted players they knew would be hurt so they didn't have to make that decision to sit at the end.   ;D
ha ha. though the better joke would be the Sixers just wouldn't have signed Deng and Mozgov so they wouldn't even be on the roster to make that decision.  After all, the Lakers are sitting them to play the young guys that are available to be played (the sixers young guys would be out). 

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

5 years? wow.

I don't know of a pick that's been protected for the full seven years that didn't turn into a 1st.  Sacramento has owed a top-10 protected pick for six drafts, and it converts to a second this year if not conveyed.

EDIT: I should point out that when the Lakers traded their pick to the Magic, the earliest it could convey was in 2017, and only had a 3-year conveyance window because of the picks LA already owed Phoenix for Steve Nash.  So it isn't that this pick didn't convey for 7 years.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:02:39 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

That's completely unfair.

We also drafted a guy in the lottery who wouldn't pay for two years because he was half way across the world!

Though to be honest those 3 guys were probably our best picks in terms of talent. At least prior to Simmons.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

5 years? wow.

I don't know of a pick that's been protected for the full seven years that didn't turn into a 1st.  Sacramento has owed a top-10 protected pick for six drafts, and it converts to a second this year if not conveyed.

EDIT: I should point out that when the Lakers traded their pick to the Magic, the earliest it could convey was in 2017, and only had a 3-year conveyance window because of the picks LA already owed Phoenix for Steve Nash.  So it isn't that this pick didn't convey for 7 years.
The Kings pick is in its 6 year of protection this year being trade initially to the Cavs in 2011 and then later traded to Chicago.  It will downgrade to a 2nd round pick this year.  This also drove the Kings pick the Sixers acquired in the salary dump trade to rollover to an unprotected 2019 pick.
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/18/11046100/kings-nba-trade-rumors-pau-gasol-draft-pick-sixers-bulls