Author Topic: Lakers Tank Thread  (Read 8515 times)

Re: Lakers in full tank mode
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think it would be funny if the Lakers tanked their way to a bottom 2 record only for them to lose the lottery and finish in 4th or 5th and have to give the pick to the Sixers.  It would be even funnier if the Sixers were one of the teams that jumped them (though I wouldn't want the Sixers to add two more top 4 picks).

Sixers have swap rights with Sacramento too, which right now has a solid 15% shot at a top 3 pick, with most outcomes paying out for Philly. Pretty good position to go into the lottery.
yep.  Philly has a good shot at 2 picks or at least 1 top 3 pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
For those who said no matter what the Lakers do, they can't change the odds of our pick.

They are only 6 losses behind the Nets.

Nets have 20 games left, with 7 possible wins against the Knicks, Magic, and Sixers who they play twice and the Suns once. Bulls and Pistons could drop a game also.

We know the Celtics (2 games) would never hurt their own odds ???

Lakers have 18 games remaining, with potential of 4 wins. between the Sixers, Suns, Kings, and Timberwolves.

Last game against Warriors could be a spoiler if GS is resting players?

I think this might get closer then we all suspected.
It is wins that matter.  The Nets have 11 wins and the Lakers have 19 wins.  Assuming the Lakers lose all their remaining games, the Nets would have to win 8 of their 20 remaining games just to end up in a tie with the Lakers.

TP for making your point without the use of sarcasm.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
For those who said no matter what the Lakers do, they can't change the odds of our pick.

Nets have 20 games left, with 7 possible wins against the Knicks, Magic, and Sixers who they play twice and the Suns once. Bulls and Pistons could drop a game also.

Lakers have 18 games remaining, with potential of 4 wins. between the Sixers, Suns, Kings, and Timberwolves.

It is wins that matter.  The Nets have 11 wins and the Lakers have 19 wins.  Assuming the Lakers lose all their remaining games, the Nets would have to win 8 of their 20 remaining games just to end up in a tie with the Lakers.

TP for making your point without the use of sarcasm.

Yea.. the Nets are so bad it is really hard for them to all of a sudden start playing close to .500 ball for the remainder. I feel bad for Lopez just going out there every night for 2-3 years and rarely being in competitive games.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

Lakers have 18 games remaining, with potential of 4 wins. between the Sixers, Suns, Kings, and
Timberwolves.

As of right now:
Lakers: 19-45  -- 18 games left
Nets: 11-51 -- 20 games left
I commented on someone else's "chicken little" panic in another thread so let's see if repeating some common sense will help eliminate some panic.
The difference in losses is meaningless when comparing a race to the bottom.  it's wins that matter because they're harder to come by.  Even if the Lakers lost all 18 of their remaining games (let that sink in for a moment - 18 consecutive losses) the Nets would still have to win 8 games to just tie them.  That's 8-12 to finish the season for a team that has only won 11 games out of 62.   Every Laker win adds to those ridiculous odds of the Nets not finishing with the worst record.

Panicking over the Lakers is foolish and a waste of time.  Nets will have the best odds going into the lottery.  worry over whether that pick will end up number one after the lottery -- those are the odds to be more concerned about.

Like I said in my post, "I think it will be closer then we all suspected" Who's Panicking?
Who's Chicken Little? I never implied anything more then the Lakers could make it close.
Anyone with common sense can read that.

The reason I used losses to make my point is because this isn't your normal set of tank job circumstances. Its not really a race to the bottom. One team, the Nets (2-8 last ten games) are trying to win every game so the Celtics odds will be worse. Granted they really suck. The Lakers (1-9) are trying to lose on purpose to gain better odds.

Some of the teams the Nets play down the stretch could benefit by losing to the Nets, and help their own odds. Plus hurt the Celtics, its not that far fetched.

Yes, its almost mathematically impossible but not completely yet. That's was the point I was making.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think it would be funny if the Lakers tanked their way to a bottom 2 record only for them to lose the lottery and finish in 4th or 5th and have to give the pick to the Sixers.  It would be even funnier if the Sixers were one of the teams that jumped them (though I wouldn't want the Sixers to add two more top 4 picks).

That would not be funny because as much as fans here hate the Lakers, the Celtics actually have to play the Sixers a lot and we don't want them being any good.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Important ping pong ball bounces are coming for the Lakers this year. Basically they get Lonzo or Jackson, or wiff completely on first rounders. Haha imagine if they continue to stink and still miss out on their prized pick?

I think I might be rooting for the Lakers for the rest of this year.

Lakers sitting healthy players to tank
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18911909/los-angeles-lakers-shut-luol-deng-timofey-mozgov-remainder-season

Full on tank mode now sitting Deng and Mozgov for the rest of the year despite both being fully healthy (or at least healthy enough to play).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:05:27 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Important ping pong ball bounces are coming for the Lakers this year. Basically they get Lonzo or Jackson, or wiff completely on first rounders. Haha imagine if they continue to stink and still miss out on their prized pick?

I've tried and I just can't do it.  The best I can do is not be upset when they win and even that is a struggle.  I also find it pointless to even think about too much.  The lakers will keep their pick.  Not because of any pro-laker conspiracy but just because that's the way the world works.  Over the long run things will always work out for the lakers.

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I've tried and I just can't do it.  The best I can do is not be upset when they win and even that is a struggle.  I also find it pointless to even think about too much.  The lakers will keep their pick.  Not because of any pro-laker conspiracy but just because that's the way the world works.  Over the long run things will always work out for the lakers.

I think the NBA should ban pick protections. Either trade the pick or don't. This adds a whole new layer of tanking where each year there is a team that has to stay in the bottom 8, has to stay in bottom 10, has to stay in bottom 3. There would still be tanking, but it would not be this extreme if the Lakers kept their pick at 4 or 5.

Re: Lakers sitting healthy players to tank
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18911909/los-angeles-lakers-shut-luol-deng-timofey-mozgov-remainder-season

Full on tank mode now sitting Deng and Mozgov for the rest of the year despite both being fully healthy (or at least healthy enough to play).

Yeah, stuff like this is ridiculous. This kind of stuff is too blatant and explicit to be ignored.

I still think something like an NBA NIT-type tournament that would partially determine the lottery order and/or odds is a good idea. You could do something like 75% of the lottery odds based on final record, and the other 25% could be based on the tournament results (or even like 65% to 35%, 50/50, etc.). This way losing wouldn't be as incentivized as greatly as it is now, and it'd bring more competition in a healthy, winning way for the best lottery odds or actual draft order.

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think the NBA should ban pick protections. Either trade the pick or don't. This adds a whole new layer of tanking where each year there is a team that has to stay in the bottom 8, has to stay in bottom 10, has to stay in bottom 3. There would still be tanking, but it would not be this extreme if the Lakers kept their pick at 4 or 5.

They can't get rid of pick protections.  Just look at what trading unprotected picks has done to the Nets - their pretty much dead in the water until 2019.  Not allowing protections on picks would just lead to teams never moving future picks, which would seriously depress the trade market.  Limits on protections could make sense (so this Lakers pick, originally part of the Steve Nash trade in 2012 - 5 years ago, would have already conveyed by now), but even then I think it's better to just keep the protections how they are.  What we need is GMs not making such risky moves and hoping that pick protections save them if when they blow up in their face
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, stuff like this is ridiculous. This kind of stuff is too blatant and explicit to be ignored.

I still think something like an NBA NIT-type tournament that would partially determine the lottery order and/or odds is a good idea. You could do something like 75% of the lottery odds based on final record, and the other 25% could be based on the tournament results (or even like 65% to 35%, 50/50, etc.). This way losing wouldn't be as incentivized as greatly as it is now, and it'd bring more competition in a healthy, winning way for the best lottery odds or actual draft order.

I feel like that would only serve to encourage moves like the Lakers shutting down vets during the season instead of sending them to winning teams.  You'd be better off losing games now and saving those vets for when you need to win.  Not to mention that it would punish legitimately bad teams (like this year's Nets if they had their own pick) more than good teams that tank on a coaching/player level
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Neither have been good this year.  Mozgov has a PER of 12.3, and the Lakers are 1.8 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Meanwhile Deng has an eFG% in Marcus Smart territory, and a PER of 10.1.  If those two had played anywhere near their level of play in recent years, the Lakers would have won more games and tanking for a bottom 3 record wouldn't be an option.

The bigger story is that each are signed for 3 more years, and combined take up nearly 1/3 of the salary cap.  It's going to really hinder their ability to make major signings or trades for a few more years.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Neither have been good this year.  Mozgov has a PER of 12.3, and the Lakers are 1.8 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  Meanwhile Deng has an eFG% in Marcus Smart territory, and a PER of 10.1.  If those two had played anywhere near their level of play in recent years, the Lakers would have won more games and tanking for a bottom 3 record wouldn't be an option.

The bigger story is that each are signed for 3 more years, and combined take up nearly 1/3 of the salary cap.  It's going to really hinder their ability to make major signings or trades for a few more years.

Along with Noah, the worst contracts given out last summer. I will never understand the Mosgov mood. (I can at least see a team talking itself into thinking Deng was an above average starter after his performance as a small ball power forward last year).

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Agreed -- unnecessary added complication.