Poll

If Danny doesn't make a move by the Trade Deadline. How disappointed will you be

Disappointed
18 (19.4%)
Very Disappointed and Danny does not know what he is doing
10 (10.8%)
In Danny We Trust
39 (41.9%)
Not making a move at this moment is the best move
26 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: If Danny doesn't make a move by the Trade Deadline. How disappointed will you be  (Read 12269 times)

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I would be if we traded brooklyn 17 pick. Now i'm not dissapointed. I'm excited about the future

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
SO Disappointed!  :-(

We knew this could happen

Danny/CBS are too attached to their players.. have top picks coming up

Ainge seems obsessed with fleecing teams...that's the problem.

Puhahaha

Its true

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Bummer to be you Crimson...

I love that we didn't do anything. We are the #2 seed in the east (and have dealt with some injuries), we have great young talent (here and overseas), a well-balanced cap, and have two more super-high lottery picks on the way. I really couldn't ask for anything more.

I would have been super-bummed if we traded Brown, Smart, AB, and the BKN pick for George (and his 1+ year deal). Everything is still awesome in Celtic land!!

Oh, and even though Horford hasn't been flashy (and has missed some key lay-ups), his presence has absolutely improved our team. You couldn't ask for a better professional to join our team. We are really lucky.

For a few more weeks, sure....too bad the #3, #4 and #5 seeds made improvements. We did nothing.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
TPs to everyone ripping the Sham Master.

For the rest of you, bless your little hearts.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't get why everyone is so upset.  This doesn't really mean anything. 

1) No one knows that he was actually offered or what he offered. 

2) This doesn't mean the Brooklyn pick isn't packaged either this summer or potentially even after the player is drafted.  This isn't Cinderella.  It doesn't turn into a pumpkin at midnight. 

3) This all might be for the best given who we draft and who we avoided losing. 

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ainge needs to get it through his thick skull that the Kg/Ray deal was a fluke. Right place,  right time.   Those deals rarely ever happen.

The Brooklyn deal was a fluke.  Right place,  right time,  dumb owner.  That deal will never happen again.

The Crowder and Thomas deals were flukes - having nobody players randomly jump out like that rarely ever happens. 

He has been incredibly lucky,  and you can't depend on luck forever.  You need to make the most of what luck has given you,  jump on opportunities while they are there,  and make the low risk/high reward deals while they are availability.

A guy of  Butler's calibre,  in a cheap long term deal - that will rarely ever be available.  Thats a one in a million opportunity.

A franchise player like Cousins being offered for scraps - that never happens.  Thats maybe a one in a decade opportunity.

A franchise player like Paul George being available at the deadline,  on a decent contact - again that rarely ever happens.

A career superstar like Carmelo being made available for seemingly nothing rarely happens.

And being a top 2 seed who also owns the two most valuable picks in the league as well as mutiple starting caliber players on bargain contacts - that happens once every 20-30 years.

The planets all aligned for Ainge.  The basketball gods basically said "we're throwing all the options at you,  take your pick!".

And he turned around and said "mmm nah im good!!!".

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I don't get why everyone is so upset.  This doesn't really mean anything. 

1) No one knows that he was actually offered or what he offered. 

2) This doesn't mean the Brooklyn pick isn't packaged either this summer or potentially even after the player is drafted.  This isn't Cinderella.  It doesn't turn into a pumpkin at midnight. 

3) This all might be for the best given who we draft and who we avoided losing.

Bradley and Thomas both expire soon. We need to find the money to extend them,  and we need to convince them it's in their best interest to extend.

We made no moves, now we put all our Eggs in the draft basket and free agent basket.  Two baskets in which Danny Ainge has a pretty horredous track record - whether that is by bad luck or by bass decisions is another argument altogether. 

If or pick doesn't work out and doesn't get us a future star,  and those few agents decide not to sign with us,  then what?  Maybe Bradley decides is not worth signing here because we won't win,  walk.   Then the team drops of,  so Thomas walks.

Then we're back to being a fribge playoff team again.

A big deal could assured us at keaat 2 or 3 seasons of deep and exciting playoff runs,  now we get to watch paint dry as we get beaten by the Cavs,  the raptors and possibly even the wizards.

Great.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This sucked that we didn't improve the team today. Toronto got better. That should get interesting.

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Disgusted, not merely disappointed.
 Could have had Cousins for next to nothing. Could have had McDermott for almost nothing.
Would have fixed the center problem and maybe the 3 point shooter vacancy and kept most of the so-called assets.
 Jae Crowder is what's holding up a trade for an all-star??? He's good, but expendable.
 So I guess Ainge will draft yet another guard or a swingman (J. Brown) with "upside" and no basketball skills other than running (into defenders, lol) and jumping.  IMO J. Brown's upside is to be another Jeff Green!, which is not a compliment.  Of course I hope I'm wrong about him- maybe he'll develop an offensive move or two other than plowing into defenders and commiting an offensive foul or blowing a layup.
 Anyway, Ainge needs to be examined for a case of centerphobia. Hasn't bothered to get a real center, or at least a rebounder,  since he (disastrously) traded Perkins.
OK, end of rant.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This sucked that we didn't improve the team today. Toronto got better. That should get interesting.

Danny could have traded zeller and 2 2nds for Tucker

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Disgusted, not merely disappointed.
 Could have had Cousins for next to nothing. Could have had McDermott for almost nothing.
Would have fixed the center problem and maybe the 3 point shooter vacancy and kept most of the so-called assets.
 Jae Crowder is what's holding up a trade for an all-star??? He's good, but expendable.
 So I guess Ainge will draft yet another guard or a swingman (J. Brown) with "upside" and no basketball skills other than running (into defenders, lol) and jumping.  IMO J. Brown's upside is to be another Jeff Green!, which is not a compliment.  Of course I hope I'm wrong about him- maybe he'll develop an offensive move or two other than plowing into defenders and commiting an offensive foul or blowing a layup.
 Anyway, Ainge needs to be examined for a case of centerphobia. Hasn't bothered to get a real center, or at least a rebounder,  since he (disastrously) traded Perkins.
OK, end of rant.

Seriously? Cmon

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I cant even begin to describe how disappointed.

Danny has always insisted that hes spent all these years collectibg assets in the hope a chance comes up to make a deal for a big name star.

He had for big name stars made available this deadline along with multiple other quality players and he s did nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Im sick to death of draft picks.  Im tired of hearing the [dang] words.  I dont care about then over bit.  I'm not interested in waiting for 3 or 4 years for some teenage hot shot to develop into a useful player,  while our current stars age and we continue to pile up early playoff exits.

Ainge is great at collecting assets, he's proven that.   He's clearly completely incapable of doing anything with them once he has them.  Time for him to move aside and let somebody who has some balls do his job for him.

Yeah, we need someone with the balls to, say, trade the 5th pick for an aging Ray Allen in the hopes that it makes KG want to come here

It's one thing to be mad at Danny when a deal actually happened that he could have been a part of (like the Boogie deal), but it's another to start calling for his job when we don't even know if the other team was actually considering trading their star.  For all we know Bird had no intent to make a trade, but everyone's first reaction is just to say Danny was unreasonable and call for his job (despite him putting us in a position that any other fan base, short of the Cavs and Warriors, would kill to be in).

Did you even consider the possibility that maybe Bird was the unreasonable one overvaluing his asset? (Not saying it was, because we don't know, just trying to point out the WE DON'T KNOW part)

They could have had cousins, Danny didn't do a thing. Now he joined Anthony Davis in NO to form the best front court we've seen since I don't know...maybe the best front court in history.   Now there's another team to potentially compete with us for free agent interest, since anybody with a brain knows that team is a couple of parts away from a contender.

I'm not gonna argue with you about the Boogie deal because I'm not a huge fan of why he didn't do it (I understand why he didn't, but I disagree with the choice), but I'm not ready to crown that the best frontcourt pairing ever until they at least play a game.  Until then, I'm gonna stick to my opinion that the Admiral and Duncan were the best pair. And free agents can consider NO all they want, but they won't have enough cap room (this summer or likely ever if they elect to resign Jrue Holiday long term) to sign anyone serious

They could have had ibaka for nothing - he would have made us significantly better and improved our odds of beating a beaten and bruised Cavs team.  Instead he went to Toronto, so now we probably won't even see the Cavs because the raptors will murder us. Why doesn't we get him?  Doesn't want to include rozier.   Those critical 9 minutes a game,  you know.

Ibaka wasn't available for "nothing", it would likely have been Rozier and a first rounder.  That's a good price if you plan on resigning him long term, but that's too much for a 25-40 game rental and there's no way anyone should be excited by the prospect of paying Ibaka a max for 4 or 5 years after this. You think Horford has been disappointing (despite still doing what he's always done)? Just wait until you see Ibaka getting paid more to do less in 2 or 3 years.

We could have had Butler but Ainge refused to include the awe inspiring role player that is Joe Crowder.  Now if we do play Cleveland again, we can watch while Lebron single handedly dismantles us while Crowder looks around with a bewildered look on his face not knowing what to do,  because everybody in the world know that for Lebron,  Crowder is just an annoyong little fly waiting to get swatted.

First off, there's no evidence that Butler was even really available.  If they were hell bent on making trading him, not including Crowder would not have been a deal breaker (and if it was, it would just mean that Danny and the Bulls GM were just as unreasonable).  And that doesn't even bring in the fact that we don't have any idea what the package was.  For all we know, Ainge could have been willing to trade AB, Brown, Smart, and both Nets picks for Butler, but said no when the Bulls tried to add Crowder (that's unlikely, but so is the Bulls taking a return that was based around Crowder, which would be the only case where not wanting Crowder in the deal is definitely unreasonable).  And if we had managed to swing a deal for Butler, we could have instead watched Lebron and co pick apart our much thinner team, because this team minus, say, Crowder, AB, and the pick but with Butler isn't going to dethrone the King, either

We likely could have had Carmelo for next to nothing, but Danny apparently want interested.  Because we needed to hold off on these moves so we could maintain cap flexibility.   Why?  Because Danny decided it was genius to commit $26m+ to a 30 year old Al Horford who continues to dissapoint on a daily basis like everybody with half a brain knew he would after his complete disappearance all of last year  - especially the playoffs. Now we're stuck with him for 3 more years.

If we doesn't have Horford on that ludicrous deal we could easily trade for anybody we wanted and still have max space to go after any free a agent we want.

Horford's deal is not an overpay.  He's doing the same Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. he's done every year (more threes and passing now, a few less points but he's playing on a pass-heavy team with a ball dominant PG that also happens to be the best scorer he's ever played with), with the same efficiency that got him max offers from a handful of different teams.  The only reason to be disappointed by Horford is if you expected a traditional rebounding and post scoring big man or a real go to scorer, in which case it's not Horford that's the issue, it's your expectations.

Sure, if we didn't have Horford, we'd have tons of space for a max free agent. We wouldn't have nearly as good of a chance to sign one (and certainly not one as good as Horford), but, sure, we'd have the money to sign them

It also seems odd that you call Horford's deal "ludicrous", but want Danny to give up assets to pay a two-year older Carmelo Anthony just 1 or 2 million less for the next three years

But Danny doesn't want to give up anything.   He gets one or two bargain deals,  and now he won't do anything at all unless it involves completely ripping off another team and getting gold in return for paper.

Its total BS.

I'm sure Danny would have loved to have made a deal for a star, but that doesn't mean he needs to get fleeced to do so. There's no evidence that he wouldn't have made a fair deal for a guy like George or Butler, so suggesting that he'll only make a deal if he fleeces somebody is ridiculous. Why is it that, if Danny and another GM both can;t meet on a price, the only explanation is that Danny is overvaluing his assets and trying to fleece the opposing GM? Other GMs are just as likely to try and come out of trades as the winner.

Honestly, the likelihood of any deal including the 2017 pick happening today was small. It doesn't make sense for a team to trade their star for a pick like that before the lottery because the value difference between #1 and #4 is too big.  Talks will likely reopen after the lottery, but in the meantime the only way Chicago or Indy was gonna make a deal including that pick was if we overpaid by a ton, because if you trade Paul George (or similar) for a decent starter or two and the #4 pick, you'll be in hot water. If you're Bird, it's better to keep him for now (and hope that the Celtics and Lakers both get top 2 picks and start a bidding war)

And are you really criticizing Ainge for being unwilling to make moves that aren't clear wins? Looking back to the trade deadline in 2015, most of the moves have been standard, no-real-winner deals. I don't really have a problem with him not making a deal now for the sake of making a deal or to improve on a non-contender.  I would have liked a small deal for a guy like JaMychel Green, but in the end, does it even matter? In a year or two would we be looking back and talking about the deal at all? I doubt it
I'm bitter.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
In other news,  I'm now going to support the Pelicans as my second team now,  because they're going to be hands down one of the most exciting teams in the nba.

And because I need a backup team,  because I can't handle much more of Danny "lets stare at my assets forever yo" Ainge.

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'm not disappointed.

Let's roll with the Core Four (IT4, Bradley, Crowder, Horford) + the Youngbloods (Marcus, Brown,
Rozier)!

We got this!!
I like them all (except Brown who I fear is going to be a bust), but with that team you still get outrebounded by about 10 rebounds a game, and never win a title.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I guess this means james young future with the team looks good

I have no idea how danny plans to pack so many players in one roster for next season  (plus yabu, zizic, 2017 2nds, Nadel etc)