Poll

If Danny doesn't make a move by the Trade Deadline. How disappointed will you be

Disappointed
18 (19.4%)
Very Disappointed and Danny does not know what he is doing
10 (10.8%)
In Danny We Trust
39 (41.9%)
Not making a move at this moment is the best move
26 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: If Danny doesn't make a move by the Trade Deadline. How disappointed will you be  (Read 12274 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
thoughts?

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Well I voted "not making move = best move", but I want a small addition.

Like Bogut or PJ Tucker. Love O'Quinn too but idk if he's being targeted by the C's.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
No move at all? Disappointed. I'm not expecting George or Butler but the team has more assets then it'll ever be able to use. I'd like to at least see a small move to get someone like Bogut or someone else who can help in the short term but not sacrifice future assets or flexibility.

I mean, yeah, I'd really like to see Paul George come to Boston but I won't be disappointed if that doesn't happen. If Ainge doesn't get any deal done? Yeah, I'll be disappointed.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I won't be disappointed beyond what I already am. Cousins is a top ten talent that went cheap. The C's should have scooped him up. When a top guy gets traded for peanuts and DA doesn't pounce I feel like he is lying to us fans. If they want to build through the draft then come out and say it. If they want to compete for a trip to ECF or finals then make moves. This sitting in the middle is bs. They signed Horford for what exactly, to show they can overpay a guy or to try and get fans to literally buy in? The C's have a lot of explaining to do.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I won't be disappointed beyond what I already am. Cousins is a top ten talent that went cheap. The C's should have scooped him up. When a top guy gets traded for peanuts and DA doesn't pounce I feel like he is lying to us fans. If they want to build through the draft then come out and say it. If they want to compete for a trip to ECF or finals then make moves. This sitting in the middle is bs. They signed Horford for what exactly, to show they can overpay a guy or to try and get fans to literally buy in? The C's have a lot of explaining to do.

Agreed. I understand holding your cards close to your chest, but transparency would be nice for a rabid fanbase. 

Wouldn't imagine expressing how strongly he values these assets would hurt their trade value -  if anything, it could increase their value, unless I'm missing something?

At any rate, I think we're best served to stand pat unless another GM makes a mistake and a ridiculous offer comes our way.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:25:47 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think he'll make at least one move--Bogut--if all else fails. That's really a fallback. He knows he needs a guy like Bogut for the playoffs.

As for Butler, George, etc... he's in a position to make offers on each that can't be refused. But will he?

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm already disappointed.  Danny overplaying his hand and standing pat is not new.  We should've gotten used to it by now.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Honestly, I dont expect a single move.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Honestly, I dont expect a single move.

That's the way to do it.  No expectations no regret.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:16:50 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I expect some small moves to his help this core makes a deep playoff run. I know Danny doesn't like band-aids, but this team needs to fix some glaring holes for both short and long term.

I'd be disappointed if Danny didn't do anything, not even a small move.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
meh I'm fine with no moves #trustCelticsProcess

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Uh ... what?  Why?

Why the heck would you want a professional sports team general manager to do his job that way?

You want him to play the game with all his cards exposed to the public?  Why? To make your insecure self feel better?  That's ridiculous.   That's not his job.   His job is to make the team better than the other teams.  And managing information is a huge part of how GMs gain advantage over each other.

Danny is playing a massive poker game that involves 29 other players with multi-million dollar stakes.  He is not going to play that game with his cards face up on the table just to make some impatient fans feel better.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Uh ... what?  Why?

Why the heck would you want a professional sports team general manager to do his job that way?

You want him to play the game with all his cards exposed to the public?  Why? To make your insecure self feel better?  That's ridiculous.   That's not his job.   His job is to make the team better than the other teams.  And managing information is a huge part of how GMs gain advantage over each other.

Danny is playing a massive poker game that involves 29 other players with multi-million dollar stakes.  He is not going to play that game with his cards face up on the table just to make some impatient fans feel better.

Agreed.

Also the idea that we are "sitting in the middle" is absurd.

In each of the last 4 years we have simultaneously improved our winning percentage and dramatically improved the value of our draft assets.

We have the 2nd best record in the conference. We have the league's best chances at the #1 pick in the draft in both 2017 and 2018. And we can also sign a max free agent this summer.

We aren't sitting in the middle. We are getting better on both ends of the "win now vs. rebuild" spectrum at the same time. Big difference.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:51:52 PM by Boris Badenov »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Uh ... what?  Why?

Pretty strong response for someone that just criticized another for acting on insecurity. 

His suggestion is valid.   I fail to see how DA expressing that he values players is "exposing all his cards to the public."  I'm sure a decent list of pros and cons can be made.   And if I'm understanding you correctly, your primary argument is just that + you're aware of how many players Danny is responsible for.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:32:40 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Uh ... what?  Why?

You are kidding me right? The conversations and deals he makes as well as his inquiries are the tells to the GMs he calls. He isn't being crafty in doing his job. They know what he is doing. Tire kicking and bargain shopping. Not willing to pay a premium or go for the big fish. That ain't poker if you keep folding.