Author Topic: Some Insight into the Celtics' Mindset (via Simmons)  (Read 4953 times)

Re: Some Insight into the Celtics' Mindset (via Simmons)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
the media will go crazy if ainge doesnt do anything. they already are by the fact he didnt get cousins.

Who cares about the media? They have their own agenda which is to create controversy and then profit off the resulting sensation. The media when driven by motivation to make money has no credibility.

If self-interest = no credibility, then no one  has credibility.  Adam Smith is rolling over in his grave.
The media wants Boston to make a splash, because without a Celtics move, the Eastern Conference playoffs are basically a foregone conclusion.

The only intrigue becomes, who gets to lose to Cleveland in the ECF.

Why us though?

Everyone is hyping up the Wizards so much..

Why isn't anyone asking them to make a move?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
the media will go crazy if ainge doesnt do anything. they already are by the fact he didnt get cousins.

Who cares about the media? They have their own agenda which is to create controversy and then profit off the resulting sensation. The media when driven by motivation to make money has no credibility.

If self-interest = no credibility, then no one  has credibility.  Adam Smith is rolling over in his grave.
The media wants Boston to make a splash, because without a Celtics move, the Eastern Conference playoffs are basically a foregone conclusion.

Why us though?

You should check out the Wizards blogs.  They're hoping and praying for something, but they've got a ton of crap contracts, only one prospect of value (Oubre), and their picks.  The Wizards ought not to be able to do anything.  If they do, and we don't...

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I got around to reading Bill Simmons' Trade Deadline Mailbag column today and he's got a ton of Celtic stuff in there (some outdated now because of the Cousins trade) and while talking about a hypothetical Paul George trade was this little bit I found interesting:

The Celtics aren’t including Brown, Smart or 2018’s Brooklyn pick as a second asset for any deal that doesn’t include the initials “AD.” They’d rather stand pat and build their version of “A Dark Horse Finals Contender That’s Also Pulling Off a Stealth Version of Philly’s Process With These Brooklyn Picks.” That’s what the owners want, too.

He seems pretty confident about it. I think it's interesting to hear that ownership is totally cool with riding with the team it has now knowing that there are potential superstars on the way. I think this means we're not likely to see another all star coming to the C's in the next couple of days. Not enough pressure on Ainge to make a move.

Based on comments above I don't know whether people are reading this right - it basically says the 2017 BKN is on the table as the "first asset." Or am I reading that wrong?

I'm actually troubled by this. I'd rather give up any of those other three assets than the 2017 BKN pick. I'd rather hear "he's offering any three of Bradley, BKN 18, KO, Zizic, Yab and Rozier" than this.

But what do I know. IDAWT.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

Why us though?

You should check out the Wizards blogs.  They're hoping and praying for something, but they've got a ton of crap contracts, only one prospect of value (Oubre), and their picks.  The Wizards ought not to be able to do anything.  If they do, and we don't...

Toronto got Ibaka. So I guess that fuels the media's desire to see WAS or BOS make a big move.

Also I doubt the media knows much about the assets both teams have.

Media KNOWS BOS have the BKN Pick, but they don't seem to have much knowledge about the others (to the point where they are like, "oh no big deal, just throw in Smart or Brown into that deal, no problem"  >:( )
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
In some ways having such a good pick is sort of a hinderance when it comes to trade proposals. That Nets pick is likely always going to be the starting point for a deal, and anything less than that looks like a fleece on Boston's part.

Makes it very difficult to get a deal done.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
A fair return for a top player in the NBA would be the Nets 17 pick. Reverse roles with other GMs. How would you not ask for that and/or Jaylen Brown?

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Hope it's true, I can't think of a single player available worth two top-5 picks.

I'll give up Nets '17 begrudgingly for the right player, but Brown (third pick), Smart (sixth pick), and the front runner for top pick in 2017 is way, way too much for someone like Butler.

He's a clear upgrade from AB/Jae, but not significant enough to give up that much.

These guys being mentioned are on par with what Ray was in 2007. We got him for the fifth pick, Delonte West, and fillers. Why are these guys worth SO much more because they are a few years younger?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I got around to reading Bill Simmons' Trade Deadline Mailbag column today and he's got a ton of Celtic stuff in there (some outdated now because of the Cousins trade) and while talking about a hypothetical Paul George trade was this little bit I found interesting:

The Celtics aren’t including Brown, Smart or 2018’s Brooklyn pick as a second asset for any deal that doesn’t include the initials “AD.” They’d rather stand pat and build their version of “A Dark Horse Finals Contender That’s Also Pulling Off a Stealth Version of Philly’s Process With These Brooklyn Picks.” That’s what the owners want, too.

He seems pretty confident about it. I think it's interesting to hear that ownership is totally cool with riding with the team it has now knowing that there are potential superstars on the way. I think this means we're not likely to see another all star coming to the C's in the next couple of days. Not enough pressure on Ainge to make a move.

Based on comments above I don't know whether people are reading this right - it basically says the 2017 BKN is on the table as the "first asset." Or am I reading that wrong?

I'm actually troubled by this. I'd rather give up any of those other three assets than the 2017 BKN pick. I'd rather hear "he's offering any three of Bradley, BKN 18, KO, Zizic, Yab and Rozier" than this.

But what do I know. IDAWT.

That's true. But it's probably going to take the '17 Nets pick to land a major superstar. I think most people are just worried it might cost that, plus Brown or Smart.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Why us though?

The main reason is that we have big time future assets.

Brooklyn '17 and '18 and Jaylen brown all have big time value and none will really help us this year.

Washington has some bit assets. Kelly Oubre and a couple late-ish firsts but unless someone comes on a Cousins like discount, they cant make a move for a big time contributor like we can.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 10:46:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Simmons is an idiot. I am confident, he has no idea what he is talking about.

Obviously just my opinion, could be completely wrong.

+1.
This is the guy that was pumping the James Young signing and also saying IT won't ever get a max deal-among other stuff. Funny guy and loves bball but is about as educated on the NBA as a Felger and Mazz listener.
He's fkn clueless.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.