Author Topic: Forget Butler and PG13, I want Drummond and Melo  (Read 3924 times)

Re: Forget Butler and PG13, I want Drummond and Melo
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Is there even a way to get PG13 + Drummond without having tremendous cap issues?

Especially next season hypothetically?

I'm pretty sure money wise if we traded Bradley, Crowder, and had cap filler, we probably wouldn't have that much room except for the MLE.

We would have to renounce literally all of our free agents.

It wouldn't really matter though.

Plenty of seasoned veterans would love to join us.

I REALLY don't want to lose Crowder though.

Crowder would have to be sent out to at least match salaries for Drummond or PG13.

Crowder, Bradley, Amir, and Zeller would have to be sent out to match salaries. We really wouldn't have cap flexibility. I'll do the numbers later, unless Saltlover beats me to it lol. And if he does, there's a TP waiting for him haha.

If we're getting George and Drummond, who cares about cap flexibility?

Zeller+Bradley+Brooklyn 2017 for George.
Amir+Jerebko+Rozier+Brooklyn 2018, Memphis 2019, and Zizic for Drummond.

I like the Drummond trade particularly because Amir and Jerebko started their NBA careers in Detroit, so there's a nice symmetry.  Meanwhile, Zeller is from Indiana.

The salaries are very easy to do.  The negotiation, both with the other teams and management in terms of 2018 payroll, is obviously more difficult.

Realistically speaking, Indiana is going to want Brown too.

And I agreed with the original premise of cap flexibility. I don't really care if we had or didn't have cap space.

A Big '4,' of IT, Horford, Drummond and George is the 3rd or 2nd best team. And if we just had defensive role players, we could rival GSW.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Is there even a way to get PG13 + Drummond without having tremendous cap issues?

I'm pretty sure money wise if we traded Bradley, Crowder, and had cap filler, we probably wouldn't have that much room except for the MLE.

Crowder would have to be sent out to at least match salaries for Drummond or PG13.

Crowder, Bradley, Amir, and Zeller would have to be sent out to match salaries. We really wouldn't have cap flexibility. I'll do the numbers later, unless Saltlover beats me to it lol. And if he does, there's a TP waiting for him haha.

I like the Drummond trade particularly because Amir and Jerebko started their NBA careers in Detroit, so there's a nice symmetry.  Meanwhile, Zeller is from Indiana.

The salaries are very easy to do.  The negotiation, both with the other teams and management in terms of 2018 payroll, is obviously more difficult.

And I agreed with the original premise of cap flexibility. I don't really care if we had or didn't have cap space.

A Big '4,' of IT, Horford, Drummond and George is the 3rd or 2nd best team. And if we just had defensive role players, we could rival GSW.

On paper, that team is better than CLE.

Golden State is a completely different animal though, but yeah if you kept Smart and had some more defensive role players, you have a decent shot.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Forget about Melo

We NEED Drummomd

He negates a large part of how Cavs beat us. 

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Forget about Melo

We NEED Drummomd

He negates a large part of how Cavs beat us.

No No, Absolutely No.

Didn't you hear? Small ball wins championships. We don't need a "dinosaur" here  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I disagree about Brown.  I'm sure Bird wants him, but realistically he has a middling Eastern Conference team and a star who's threatening to leave a year from now if the team isn't winning.  I think the Brooklyn pick and Bradley is the best offer Bird ever sees for George.  He's not going to get any more when George is inside a year to free agency.

The problem of course is the 2018 team, not next year.  That squad easily eclipses $200 million in payroll + luxury tax.  Probably around $225 million.  It'd be a true test of ownership's willing to spend to win.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Next season we'd have a roster of:

IT
Smart
Brown
Crowder
George
Drummond
Horford
Jackson
Yabusele
Olynyk (depending how rich management feels)
Nader
Minny 2nd
MLE
Bi-Annual
Vet mins

If Drummond is truly available, I'd jump on your proposed off.  A top 2 protection on BKN 17 would be incredible, but reaching.  Still, would include other pieces to protect it.

Is there actually any traction to the Drummond rumor though? I haven't come across a reputable source yet.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

IT
Smart
Brown
Crowder
George
Drummond
Horford
Jackson
Yabusele
Nader
Minny 2nd
MLE
Bi-Annual
Vet mins

If Drummond is truly available, I'd jump on your proposed off.  A top 2 protection on BKN 17 would be incredible, but reaching.  Still, would include other pieces to protect it.

Is there actually any traction to the Drummond rumor though? I haven't come across a reputable source yet.

I'm sure there's some truth. The Pistons are scuffling and SVG will feel the heat before long.  Ainge calls about virtually every player.  Drummond is the best defensive rebounder in the league.  The Celtics are amongst the worst defensive rebounding teams.  I'd be beyond shocked if a deal happened, but I'd only be a little less shocked if they didn't at least talk about it for a minute.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

IT
Smart
Brown
Crowder
George
Drummond
Horford
Jackson
Yabusele
Nader
Minny 2nd
MLE
Bi-Annual
Vet mins

I'm sure there's some truth. The Pistons are scuffling and SVG will feel the heat before long.  Ainge calls about virtually every player.  Drummond is the best defensive rebounder in the league.  The Celtics are amongst the worst defensive rebounding teams.  I'd be beyond shocked if a deal happened, but I'd only be a little less shocked if they didn't at least talk about it for a minute.

I actually think I'd favor a trade for Drummond over Butler / PG now.  What he can provide is actually what we need, and for his age and contract situation, and I imagine Butler and PG will only be traded for a king's ransom.

It makes sense for both teams in a lot of ways, as you've pointed out. Trying to temper expectations this week, but sincerely hope it's an ongoing discussion right now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
If Ainge got Drummond and George or Butler or Melo, they would probably be instant media favorites to beat the Cavs. More likely, it will be Bogut and one of the other 3. Not Drummond. Though it could be Drummond alone.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

IT
Smart
Brown
Crowder
George
Drummond
Horford
Jackson
Yabusele
Nader
Minny 2nd
MLE
Bi-Annual
Vet mins

As I recall, Ainge has tried to get Drummond before. I forget the circumstances. May have been when Monroe was on the market.