Author Topic: Lakers Name Magic Johnson President of Bball Ops  (Read 9553 times)

Re: Lakers Name Magic Johnson President of Bball Ops
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Great news!!   Magic is a boob.  That dooms the Lakers for the next few years.

he has been really really successful in business, why a boob?

Based on interviews, tweets, comments, etc, that Magic has made over the years, I just don't think that he's the brightest bulb.  He's undeniably one of the greatest players ever, but he's never impressed me off the court.
And his success in business in irrelevant to the discussion.  The owner of the Kings is really successful but he's a boob too.   

Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Good for the Celtics if you want to see the Lakers continue sucking lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
****! Magic a GM! He be good at what he do...not!

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Bad idea.

Unless they plan to have a good supporting cast and use Magic as the nominal figurehead, this is the wrong move.

He does not have the experience (and IMO he doesn't have the character/attitude either) for this kind of post.

His biggest criticism of Jim Buss was always that he tried to get too involved, that his father's greatest asset was putting smart basketball people in place and letting them do their thing.  I think Magic will take that approach.

I wonder how much leverage Magic's history has with players anymore.  The generation of players who grew up watching him are long since retired. 

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Good move. Lakers are pretty much at rock bottom. They have 3 young players (Russell, Ingram, Randle) who were picked high and don't appear to be sure fire all stars. Everyone else (besides Nance) is expendable on their team.

The Lakers should have an incredibly strong brand. Instead, they have been invisible for years. Magic taking over resets the brand. I don't see why they should struggle to acquire FA's.

If I were Magic, I would move any or all of Russell, Ingram, and Randle for decent players and rely on signing veterans.

The Lakers are too good historically to tank and still not acquire what is needed to win long term like they have done over the last couple of years.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Yeah, I don't get it either. Even the Dodgers haven't won, they are in it every year.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I don't get it either. Even the Dodgers haven't won, they are in it every year.

I think Magic does a really good job surrounding himself with smart business people.  This has led to a ton of success in the business world but I also think he's a big figurehead when it comes to that stuff.  However, judging by the stuff I've seen him write via Twitter or interviews over the years in terms of the NBA, I've seen him see a lot of head scratching & cliched things that make me consider how well he'll do as president of basketball ops. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Magic is so smart.
Taking a GM role right when they are at the bottom, he can't lose. He still has the charisma, the history to show for, recent superstar in the form of Kobe, legend to the kids all over the world, and most importantly he has some assets to work with. I feel that draft lottery is semi-rigged and that, in a way, this move secures L.A. keeping their 2017 and 2019 1st rounder. Just a hunch.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Magic may go after Drummond or Lopez. Lakers traditionally strong in the middle by trade or FAs.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Just hope he does NOT hire Jerry West.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Take advantage of the rook, Danny !!!!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-with-magic-johnson-in-power-lakers-eyeing-agent-rob-pelinka-to-become-gm-204625211.html

After sweeping front-office changes to hire Magic Johnson as president of basketball operations for the Los Angeles Lakers, the franchise is strongly considering agent Rob Pelinka to become general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

Pelinka has been one of the NBA’s top player agents and has strong ties to the franchise through his relationship with longtime client Kobe Bryant and owner Jeanie Buss. Pelinka is at the top of a short list of candidates to become the top day-to-day executive, sources said.

Before the Lakers fired Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss on Tuesday, the franchise had already moved away from trying to pursue the Golden State Warriors’ Bob Myers, the franchise’s original top target for general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

After Myers signed a recent contract extension, it became clear to Lakers brass that it would be unable to lure Myers, league sources said.

Within the Lakers’ new top circle of power, another sitting general manager who has been a significant source of intrigue for the freshly vacant L.A. general manager job: Portland’s Neil Olshey, league sources said. Olshey is a two-time runner-up for NBA Executive of the Year, including 2016 with the Blazers and 2011 as Clippers general manager after beating out the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul.

In the cases of Myers and Olshey, it is extremely difficult to hire a general manager who’s under contract elsewhere. Rival owners generally aren’t interested in letting top-level executives leave for competitors, especially the Lakers.

Lakers assistant general manager Ryan West has a strong relationship and history with Pelinka, and would likely be considered a significant part of a new front-office regime, league sources said.

For the Lakers to hire Pelinka – which would follow the Warriors’ blueprint on ex-agent Myers – there would need to be a process of him divesting from his Landmark Sports representation business. Pelinka’s client list includes Houston Rockets All-Star guard James Harden, Houston’s Eric Gordon and Golden State’s Andre Iguodala.

Kupchak’s inability to complete a deal with Sacramento for All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins over the weekend played a part in the timing of the purge, league sources said. The Kings chose a New Orleans offer over the Lakers’ on Sunday night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Magic is a lot smarter then people give him credit.

First of all.. all the extremely plain/ boring/ uninspired things that Magic has said over the years that make him appear like a person with no brain... its all pretty much 100% on purpose.  The dude cant take any risk to hurt any of his business.. he has to be careful with what he says.  So he comes off as Dull and Boring and maybe a bit "dumb".

Magic isnt dumb, hes probably the smartest ex-nba player ever. And it might not even be that close.  He is worth half a billion dollars, he's hella smart.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

First of all.. all the extremely plain/ boring/ uninspired things that Magic has said over the years that make him appear like a person with no brain... its all pretty much 100% on purpose.  The dude cant take any risk to hurt any of his business.. he has to be careful with what he says.  So he comes off as Dull and Boring and maybe a bit "dumb".

Magic isnt dumb, hes probably the smartest ex-nba player ever. And it might not even be that close.  He is worth half a billion dollars, he's hella smart.

He's a smart guy in business. But so are several NBA owners who are somehow "not smart" when it comes to running an NBA team.

We'll see how he does, but it could be that with GM Doc, Vlade/Vivek, and Magic that Golden State really could be light years ahead of the other west coast teams.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

as smart as he is, he didn't make a very good coach... just sayin'

and had some questionable bed fellows
I trust Danny Ainge